Wordless Statements - Page 3 - the Fashion Spot

How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Trend Spotting
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

07-10-2005
V.I.P.

^ i love the brooch!!

12-10-2005
V.I.P.

nr9dream, that was one of my favorite collections ever. i think it actually made me think there was some hope in infusing products with some sort of social message. it's harder than it seems...

speaking of...check out Fabrica. they are run by the Benetton group and have a magazine called Colors. http://www.fabrica.it/

Last edited by travolta; 12-10-2005 at 02:45 PM.
18-10-2005
front row

Along similar lines as the Chalayan stuff is the signature coat by Final Home:

from metropolis.japantoday.com

from http://www.acic.kyoto-art.ac.jp/sens...a_fh-coat.html

Quote:
If we lose our house because of a disaster, war, or unemployment, as a fashion designer, what kind of clothes would I propose - and how would they look in trouble-free times?

Nylon coat came about from me pondering this question. Its concept is "a cloth which can be adapted according to need". For example, to protect against the cold, you can put newspapers in the pockets, or if you equip it with survival rations and a medical kit, it becomes a valuable cloth when taking refuge. The name "FINAL HOME" was first given to this particular garment, and then it became their brand name - it equates to the idea of it being the "ultimate shelter"

The coat comes in three basic colors: "orange" to remind of one's existence; "khaki" to blend in with the forest and "black" to assimilate in the city. Directions for use are written on the bag in which the coat comes.

This coat is recyclable. After enjoying it as a fashion item, please wash it thoroughly and bring it to one of our outlets. We will donate it to organizations such as NGO for the benefit of refugees or disaster victims. For further details, please read the message card enclosed in the bag.

FINAL HOME welcomes suggestions from customers and ideas for new projects.

Kosuke TSUMURA

18-10-2005
backstage pass

This has to be the most intelligent thing I have read all day.

front row

More Final Home projects...

M-16 cushion
"This is also a cushion to protect against the cold and is placed in FINAL HOME pockets. It has been produced with humor and a wish for peace."

Chocolate Candle
"A candle moulded from chocolate, inspired by the story of a person in distress who survived by eating chocolate. Can be used as survival goods or as party goods"

Final Home Bear
"A fluffy toy to protect against the cold, this is placed in the pockets of FINAL HOME. It's designed to heal one's heart in the case of disaster."

Images and text from www.finalhome.com

18-10-2005
front row

D'oh! Forgot I'd already posted the Final Home coat, but at least now there are better pictures, and more information on the concept.

18-10-2005
V.I.P.

^ these are very witty pieces, but i'm not sure it transcends the medium. so many product designers these days are working from this point of view, and their only real success is amusing fellow designers and design followers.

18-10-2005
front row

Hmm...you may well be right, travolta, but what I like about the Final Home stuff is that it seems entirely capable of performing the functions their descriptions say it is intended for (which is more than I can say for a lot of similar concepts), and the fact that they have so fully realized their concept by including things like the bear.

It's witty, but I think there's also something evocative at the core of it...like one of those moments in a Shakespearean comedy or a comic opera when you realize there's a kernel of real human insight underneath all that mirth.

And I think it makes a real point about living within the space around you. Most of us, if we lost our car or our house would say "My whole life was in there!" This coat asks the tough question, "How would you live if your whole life was in this coat?"

Ah well, like I said before, different people are going to read different things in items like these. We have a hard enough time communicating with each other using words. When you take words out of the discourse, it's only that much harder.

18-10-2005
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Baron
I think it makes a real point about living within the space around you. Most of us, if we lost our car or our house would say "My whole life was in there!" This coat asks the tough question, "How would you live if your whole life was in this coat?"
Very good point. I remember seeing something about the Final Home stuff on TV a while ago and it's a really good example for this thread. And so is the Hussein Chalayan A/W 2000 collection. Thanks for the thread!

17-11-2005
front row

Here's a new one by Alessandro Gherardeschi, from Yoox.com:

Technically it has words, but the words are not really the point. It's covered in labels...not just Gherardeschi's own, but labels for everything from Givenchy to Kensington to Harvey Nichols to Sartoria J. Margutti.

The end result poses an interesting conundrum: Who actually made this shirt? And...Does it really matter?

18-11-2005
front row

Same concept as the Gherardeschi shirt, only this time it's a tie from Fake London (image source: Yoox.com)

18-11-2005
stories everywhere

I made a shirt this week with fake vertabrae on the back, so when you wear it, it looks like you have an incredibly bony back. i was trying to find... kind of a way of wearing an attribute that people either love or hate... bringing the inside outside- - -

V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceanharlot
I made a shirt this week with fake vertabrae on the back, so when you wear it, it looks like you have an incredibly bony back. i was trying to find... kind of a way of wearing an attribute that people either love or hate... bringing the inside outside- - -
Pete Doherty already beat you to it...

19-11-2005
stories everywhere

did he... funny, hm, i'd like to see it.

trendsetter

Very interesting thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diorling
Pete Doherty already beat you to it...
Yes I think I saw that too.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
statements, wordless