How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Star Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

12-06-2009
she had boys in her room

Alexa Chung (June 2009 - December 2009)
Moderator's Note:
  • In order to improve site performance, long threads that are draining our loading time will be closed and we are going to be periodically starting new threads. This should help pages load faster.
  • Please remember that not everyone is on a fast connection, or has a large screen, and keep your picture sizes to 800 pixels or less in the largest dimension. This will also help with page load speed.
  • Please refrain from posting the same images as contained in the archived threads (eg in the old closed thread).
  • Please remember to stay on topic... All off topic discussion will be removed. If you would like to discuss Alexa's show please do so in the Entertainment Spot thread.
  • Please remember that there is NO WEIGHT TALK allowed.
  • Please do not power post eg make empty posts with no Info/questions/Images - Empty posts cause threads to grow rapidly and is a nuisance to those who subscribe to many threads. Please take any private conversations to PMs or Profile Comments.
  • The old thread can be viewed here
Thank you

There's an article in the New York Times today. It's mainly about the show, so I just pasted the Alexa bits. The full article is here.

Alexa Chung, the host of “It’s On With Alexa Chung,” in her apartment in Williamsburg, Brooklyn. The live daytime show begins Monday on MTV.

Quote:
As for the person who will present this new venture, Ms. Chung, a 25-year-old model and television personality in Britain, sounded so relaxed in a recent telephone interview that serious questioning seemed almost rude. Speaking in the equivalent of a Facebook status update, she said she was “eating some pasta, feeling pretty content,” clearly straining her voice after a night of karaoke that ended, according to her tweets, at 7 a.m.

Her karaoke standbys, by the way — which should be familiar to any of the more than 17,000 people following her tweets — include Nickelback’s “This Is How You Remind Me,” Kylie Minogue’s “Better the Devil You Know” and lately, Kings of Leon’s “Sex on Fire.”

“It’s a lovely one to do,” she said.

Ms. Chung has spent the past three years hosting programs for Channel 4 in Britain about music and popular culture, and she is a regular presence in the European celebrity press, most recently appearing on the cover of the May issue of Harper’s Bazaar in Britain alongside the headline, “This Year’s Girl.”

She auditioned for the MTV talk show about a year ago, and her hip attitude and sometimes wacky lines of questioning appealed to the MTV producers.

“She’s able to infuse everything with her own take,” said Corin Nelson, the executive producer.

While Ms. Chung (whose father is Chinese and mother, British) had expressed a yearning to live in New York, “cracking the U.S., as it were, wasn’t on my agenda,” she said, adding that “people in London are obsessed with Brits breaking America.”

“People in America keep asking me — and I think it’s quite an American mindset — what my long-term game plan is,” she continued. “That’s not the way I think.”
The audience for “TRL” had been declining for years, and that it lasted 12 years speaks to the difficulty in replacing it. Ms. Chung, untouched by much nostalgia for what was once an MTV mainstay, remarked that YouTube has “rendered those shows kind of archaic.” She also mentioned that MTV executives “get a bit sensitive” when “TRL” comes up. (According to the network the only thing the two shows have in common is the studio location.)

And how do you fill an hour of live teenage TV without music videos? With “inane banter,” Ms. Chung joked. “Mindless chitchat. Hilarious interviews.” The format will typically include a pop culture and news update, a comedy segment, celebrity interviews and what Ms. Nelson called an “Internet discovery.” Theoretically some of those discoveries — viral videos, Web stars, and LOL-worthy photos — will come from viewers, who will be able to submit them online.
As for Ms. Chung’s online persona, her short communiqués on Twitter seem written solely for the three-dozen people she follows through the site. In essence she uses the forum not to broadcast self-promotional patter but to talk to her friends the way her fans do. But she said she prefers Facebook. “It’s just quite self-centered, isn’t it?” she said of Twitter. “You have to be quite confident that you’re very interesting in order for it to work.”

Yet there she was last Sunday upon arrival in New York, posting onto Twitter via her BlackBerry about her lost luggage and a three-hour flight delay and her unfortunate decision to watch the film “He’s Just Not That Into You” on the plane.

“I will always regret that decision,” she wrote in her tweet.

Last edited by ChrissyM; 15-06-2009 at 07:19 PM.

12-06-2009
V.I.P.

^ love the shoes in that pic

12-06-2009
windowshopping

i love the shoes ¡

12-06-2009
fashion elite

well according to her twitter she will be in the marieclaire usa

""After much prancing I'm now done with marie claire usa shoot, now on way to mtv hq to film things.""

So does she style herself when she gets shot for magazines??

12-06-2009
trendsetter

I will love those Marni shoes forever but in reality I could never walk in them:p

12-06-2009
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by modela View Post

""After much prancing I'm now done with marie claire usa shoot, now on way to mtv hq to film things.""

I doubt that since most of the time a stylist on the shoot picks out clothes that either fit the person's style ot relate to what they are trying to show.

12-06-2009
trendsetter

NYLON TV + CHRISTOPHER BAILY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FpM7A9UTMD0
It shows Alexa at the Burberry Party at 1:28

12-06-2009
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by modela View Post

haha, you beat me to it! :p

cant wait to see these photos. hoped they style her well. forget what marie claire is like, havent bought an issue for a while.. that'll change with Alexa though, haha.

cant wait for her showwww finally alexa on in america and weekly fashion fixes of her.

13-06-2009
backstage pass

^ daily fashion fixes (!)

13-06-2009
front row

So it is her apartment in those pics? It's great...but can't she afford a bed with a frame?
The Garance Dorée photo is a little stretched....would like to see it bigger!
Thanx Absconse

13-06-2009
V.I.P.

^ not if she is really in that "debt" :p

anyway love her shoes!!!

13-06-2009
fashion elite

asos

13-06-2009
V.I.P.

^ one of my favourite outfits of hers ever

14-06-2009
once more, with feeling

I love that pic of Alexa in her new apartment. Makes me want to throw out a lot of clutter in my own apt. And her shoes are great, as someone else noted.

14-06-2009
backstage pass

^ I agree, not sure about the socks and shoes combo though...

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2009, alexa, chung, december, june