How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Star Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

10-10-2011
fashion insider

Quote:
Originally Posted by laisla View Post
ugh. this again. Unless people know her personally (second hand info doesnt really count) I don't think anyone is in the position to pass judgement. It would be a different thing if she did tell all interviews or had a reality tv show but she doesn't, therefore I think its impossible and unfair to say what she is like in real life.
Well, my friend is a very good judge of character and I trust her opinion. I suppose you don't know that until you know her. But until I meet her I won't 'pass judgement' again (though I didn't really in he first place, I was just recalling what my friend told me).

10-10-2011
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaydreamNation View Post
Ah wow so lucky! How is the quality of the collection? I really wanted the leopard boots, but they sold out in seconds!! I had a friend's US address to ship them to as well. Grr.

I even found some on ebay selling in LONDON (!!) but they're not my size.

Here's the link if anyone is interested in the UK: (not my action, obviously, but have to say that anyway) http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UK-BASED-A...item3a6b12f18e
Hey! I actually purchased a few pieces of the collection and I'm trying to get my hands on a few more (of what is left online or in the store near where I live). I purchased the blue Graham mohair sweater, its a really lovely fit and SO soft! Also purchased the cable knit creamy white sweater, also really high quality. The other three items I purchased were the skinny pink corduroy pants, which I ended up returning and getting another pair of due to the little seam on the belt loop ripping! Then I have the "I'm Serious" tee which is very comfy and lightweight, and then the Dolores black and white dress. I bought a size two and its a little big, which I am surprised at! I saw the whole collection in person at the Century City store and it was all very high quality. I really wanted the Palm Tree desert sessions dress but everyone grabbed them too quickly!

And the shoes, I didn't even try to touch those but they looked so nice in person!!!

11-10-2011
windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaddieS. View Post
Hey! I actually purchased a few pieces of the collection and I'm trying to get my hands on a few more (of what is left online or in the store near where I live). I purchased the blue Graham mohair sweater, its a really lovely fit and SO soft! Also purchased the cable knit creamy white sweater, also really high quality. The other three items I purchased were the skinny pink corduroy pants, which I ended up returning and getting another pair of due to the little seam on the belt loop ripping! Then I have the "I'm Serious" tee which is very comfy and lightweight, and then the Dolores black and white dress. I bought a size two and its a little big, which I am surprised at! I saw the whole collection in person at the Century City store and it was all very high quality. I really wanted the Palm Tree desert sessions dress but everyone grabbed them too quickly!

And the shoes, I didn't even try to touch those but they looked so nice in person!!!
Ahhh, I'm sooo jealous. I live in the Netherlands and getting a piece of the collection is nearly impossible here. I love everything so much that I would literally sell all my clothes right now and just buy the entire collection. I was so extremely happy when I found the velvet shorts from the previous collection on eBay. And now I'm like quite addicted and want to 'collect' everything from her Madewell line. It's like crazy. I'm really craving that cable knit sweater because it's perfect. Hopefully I will find it somewhere

11-10-2011
fashion insider

I find it actually quite annoying that Madewell that doesn't ship to the UK, I would've hoped that Alexa would go for a British company - that is where she got her start after all. And I loved those velvet shorts, but eBay is so f*cking expensive, it's ridiculous. Alexa's forgotten her roots.

11-10-2011
V.I.P.

^ I suppose she'd go with the company who approached her yes? That offered her the chance to do capsule collections. She has no control over where they ship. I would hardly say that is cause to say she's forgotten her British roots. :p Though I understand & empathize with youR frustration.

Fashion: Don’t you recognize me? Death: You should know that I don’t see very well and I can’t wear glasses. Fashion: I’m Fashion, your sister. Death: My sister? Fashion: Yes. You and I together keep undoing and changing things down here on earth although you go about it in one way and I another. Giacomo Leopardi, “Dialogue Between Fashion and Death.”abridged

Last edited by Not Plain Jane; 11-10-2011 at 02:30 PM.

11-10-2011
fashion insider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not Plain Jane View Post
^ I suppose she'd go with the company who approached her yes? That offered her the chance to do capsule collections. She has no control over where they ship. I would hardly say that is cause to say she's forgotten her British roots. :p Though I understand & empathize with youR frustration.
The last bit was a joke, haha
Or an exaggeration.
But I would've hoped she'd waited for a British offer or at least a company that shipped to the UK, that was just as good as Madewell.

11-10-2011
V.I.P.

I hear you and I understand what you mean. The UK seems to be at the heart of who Alexa is as a style icon, still, imo, so it is very unfortunate that her line doesn't ship there. Think of the sales they are missing out on! Besides which, Topshop ships here, so why can't they ship there? Must be something to do with infrastructure?? Anyhow, too bad.

Fashion: Don’t you recognize me? Death: You should know that I don’t see very well and I can’t wear glasses. Fashion: I’m Fashion, your sister. Death: My sister? Fashion: Yes. You and I together keep undoing and changing things down here on earth although you go about it in one way and I another. Giacomo Leopardi, “Dialogue Between Fashion and Death.”abridged

11-10-2011
fashion insider

Yeah, I'll get over it.

Teen Vogue November 2011

teenvogue.com

Quote:
SCENE 1: BACKSTAGE
The greenroom of Alexa Chung's new show, 24 Hour Catwalk (a younger, hipper version of Project Runway, brought to you by the same network, Lifetime), NYC. Alexa acts as host, aided by a panel of fashion-industry judges: designer Cynthia Rowley, PR maven James LaForce, and social scribe Derek Blasberg.
Alexa is leaning forward on a couch, trying to explain to me and her fellow judges the meaning of the word glamping. "Glamorous camping—going to Glastonbury Festival and staying in a Winnebago," she says breezily, her British accent lending an air of authority. The judges are not convinced, so she suggests a visual check. "Google-image 'glamping,' and if a picture of me in a Fendi jumper and f***ing Hunter Wellies doesn't come up, I'm a dead man." Derek takes her to task, but the only pictures that result are of actual campsites.
"I'm going to write a book called Alexicon that will explain everything," Alexa says, with a mix of sarcasm and exasperation. The 27-year-old's speech is littered with catchphrases she has seemingly plucked from thin air. For the record, "glamping," or at least her definition of it, refers to a way of dressing at music festivals made famous by Alexa and the English fashion icon who came before her, Kate Moss. It employs a subversive high-low, dressy-casual mix (think sequined minidress and Wellies or short shorts and Wellies—the boots are a constant). "People always ask me, 'What are you going to wear to Glastonbury this year?'" Alexa says, "and I'm like, 'The same outfit.' The outfit," she adds, with an implied duh: "Breton shirt, shorts, leather jacket, Wellies, a hat. It's my favorite outfit ever. I grew up in the country, so I know exactly what to wear."
Truth be told, Alexa knows exactly what to wear everywhere. For fashion parties: girlish minidresses with flats and undone hair. For red-carpet galas: a tuxedo and a red lip (gown is not a word in the Alexicon). For walking down the street: skinny cords, a silk button-down, and a cross-body Chanel bag. Her effortlessly cool and just-unexpected- enough way of putting clothes together has made her a muse to designers and peers alike. She's a fashion Pied Piper to a generation of teens and 20-somethings who imitate her every outfit change. (It doesn't hurt that she's a former model and looks good in anything she puts on.) Today, Alexa is wearing a dove-gray Empire-waist minidress (vintage, picked up at the Chelsea flea market) with cartoonishly high Vivienne Westwood platforms (the ones Naomi Campbell famously took a tumble in on the runway—"They had a picture of her falling in the look book," says Alexa. "I was like, Done!").
The thing is, Alexa's style is so feverishly watched that until now, her other talents have been somewhat overlooked. "It girl problems," she jokes of her precarious situation. So what does she, in fact, do other than go glamping? The answer: quite a lot. She made a name for herself in her native England as host of the popular music show Popworld. (Her initial attempt at translating that to an American audience with the daily MTV show It's On with Alexa Chung was not as successful. The program was canceled in December 2009, less than a year into its run.) She pens features for British Vogue. She DJs. And she designs a capsule collection of clothing and accessories for Madewell. The first one debuted last fall and instantly blew out of stores. ("I almost wanna go high-five them," Alexa says of seeing girls on the street wearing her designs.) The second collection, which has a 1970s California vibe, is available now (run, don't walk). With 24 HC, though, Alexa has the potential to catapult herself from fashion insider to mega fashion personality.
SCENE 2: SHOWTIME!
"Hello!" says Alexa, emerging from backstage before an audience of about 100 20-somethings assembled for the taping of this episode. The crowd, perhaps unsure what to make of this beautiful creature with preternaturally long, skinny legs, remains silent. "Why is everyone so moody today?" Alexa teases, breaking the ice. "I know it's fashion, but you can be happy." Laughter erupts.
Alexa is in week two of filming for 24 HC. She reports to work at 5:00 a.m. and often doesn't leave before 11:00 p.m. She spends more time here than she does at her own home, which she moved into days before filming started and has yet to furnish. ("I sleep on a mattress on the floor," she says. "There's nothing more grounding than that.")
24 HC is filmed over the course of 24 hours (hence the name of the show). Four designers competing for a $10,000 grand prize are narrowed down to two, who then have a day to complete three looks. There's a runway show, judges' deliberations, and the selection of a winner. Every episode brings a new crop of designer hopefuls. "With a lot of other fashion shows, it's not actually relevant," Alexa says. "I only wanted to do this if it was going to be a genuine search for designers and if I would be working alongside people who are legitimate in the fashion industry." She says she's set her expectations low because "I got so burnt by the last [show]." But she adds: "Everything feels right this time. I really like the team. From day one, we've laughed nonstop."
It helps that she's already gotten her feet wet in American television. "I feel like I've done my hellos. If it works, it works. If it doesn't, I can still draw or write or do whatever," she says. "Last time [with MTV], I gave up my London home and friends and jobs there, so it was more disappointing when it didn't work. But I feel more rooted here now. I'm like, OK, I've done this before. I can speak American now."
SCENE 3: WARDROBE
One place Alexa is definitely on solid footing is in the wardrobe department. "I've been trying to wear quite big outfits," she says of her fashion direction for the show. "I don't want to look naff [Britspeak for 'common']. I think it should be a true reflection of what's going on in fashion." She's been borrowing runway numbers from the likes of Chanel, Burberry, and Proenza Schouler (not your typical reality-show fashion fare). As in real life, Alexa is acting as her own stylist. "Basically, I was given a budget, and I spent it all on one Balenciaga leather jacket," she says, laughing. "So I've got ten episodes to do and nothing to wear." When I point out the irony of her comment, she quips, "My closet at home is barren."
SCENE 4: ALEXA'S CLOSET
In fact, by Alexa's own admission, her apartment is so overstuffed with clothes, "it looks like Hoarders. Back in London, I had what I called a 'terror room.' It was floor-to- floor with shipped boxes from the U.S.A., still unpacked one year on, with clothes spilling out of them—basically, a mattress of clothes up to here," she says, holding her hand waist high. "People ask how I get dressed in the morning. I literally pick through the swamp. I'm worried if it's neatly arranged, I won't be able to get dressed."
Her closet staples include the following: Burberry trench ("it's classic and practical, and Françoise Hardy wore one in a picture where she's holding a camera and has white glasses on"); striped Breton tops ("they're a last-resort situation if I'm tired and don't know what to wear—stripes always look crisp"); little white dresses (she pairs them with boots to toughen them up); and anything schoolgirl ("I love schoolgirl style; it's relaxed but smart, boyish but girly—all my favorite juxtapositions in one"). She says she gravitates toward classics because they're easy to adapt, especially when she's traveling.
Alexa describes her style as "understated. I don't like things to be too overthought or too sexy or too vampy," she says. Her style icons tend to be men: Keith Richards, Mick Jagger, the Beatles. "I like the silhouette of a cigarette pant with a Chelsea boot and a buttoned-up shirt," she offers. "But there's also a side of me that loves superfeminine dressing—looking like a cake or a Christmas tree," she says, laughing. Marie-Antoinette is also a style icon.
Do the paparazzi who wait outside her building on a regular basis cross her mind when she gets dressed in the morning? "It depends. Sometimes there are bigger life things going on," she says. "The annoying thing is that whenever I do spot a pap, I'm like, Ugh! Today wasn't a good day. Why didn't you get me yesterday?"
She's come to accept and even appreciate the It girl label because, she says, "when I look at It girls of other decades—Jane Birkin, Penelope Tree, Jean Shrimpton—those are all the people whose style I admire. If it's meant in that way, I think it's cool."
She adores Elle Fanning's style but is less impressed with the sisters Middleton. "I massively bought into the fairy-tale wedding," she says. "But the fact that the press were giving Kate all this fanfare before she looked amazing is a bit weird, because it's obvious she got a stylist. Regardless," she adds, "no one cares about the mechanics behind why someone looks good."
SCENE 5: BAGGAGE
The fact that Mulberry created and named a bag in Alexa's honor—and that it is one of the British heritage brand's most popular styles—is still somewhat surreal to Alexa. "To think, my mom was going to call me Anna, and someone at the hospital was like, 'No, Alexa is a cooler name.' My mom had already had three children by then, so she was like, 'Whatever!'"
Somewhat surprisingly, Alexa the person has only one Alexa the bag. "A brown one," she says. "Maybe I ought to ask for another." She feels "weird" carrying it, though. "I'll start using it again one day," she says. "It just seems a bit much now, like, 'Hey, guys, guess what I'm carrying?'" Of seeing other people with it, she adds, "All it does is make girls feel awkward when I walk in and they've got it on them."
What Alexa lacks in Alexas, though, she more than makes up for in Chanel bags. Asked how many she owns, she demurs: "A lot. When I bought my apartment, they were like, 'Is there anything you want to insure? Any jewelry?' I was like, 'Nope, nothing. All I've got are these Chanel bags.'" The Chanel bags are insured. "Something for my daughters to inherit one day," she says.
SCENE 6: ONE-WOMAN SHOW
We're sitting at a window table in Café Mogador, a casual but buzzing Moroccan restaurant in Manhattan's East Village near Alexa's apartment. Alexa is wearing an Alexa Chung for Madewell palm tree–print shirt and seventies-style cords with too-small Miu Miu boots ("I got excited and wore them out of the shop before I realized they weren't the right size," she says). Slung on the back of her chair is the first Chanel bag she ever purchased ("I saw it at Heathrow Airport, and there was a tax-free sign, so I was like, That's sort of a discount"). We're talking about boys—or rather the lack of boys.
Alexa and her boyfriend of four years, Arctic Monkeys front man Alex Turner, recently ended their relationship, so she's newly single in a new city. "Where are they? Seriously, where the f*** are they? There seems to be a boy drought in New York City this summer," she says. She does, however, let slip that her cue when she sees a cute one is "BGA": bloody gorgeous alert (another one for the Alexicon).
An NYU student comes up to our table and asks Alexa if she can take an iPhone picture with her. "Sure!" Alexa says. When the girl leaves, Alexa sighs. "It's never boys who come up to me. It's always cool-looking girls. It's very handy for my straight male friends. They love that I attract this bevy of beautiful young women." She laughs.
It's hard to believe Alexa has any trouble attracting members of the opposite sex, but for the moment, at least, she has plenty to keep her occupied. "It's good to be on your own in an exciting city," she says. "This is when you do stuff for yourself. Right now is a real turning point. Everything I thought I knew is no longer. I think this is the year I have to grow up. I don't know," she says. "Maybe I'll become a power woman."
Bonus video: teenvogue.com/industry/coverlook/video/coverlook-november-2011/alexa-chung

Teen Vogue? Seriously, Alexa?
I don't like the way she comes across at the beginning of the written interview, slightly entitled...idk. But it's much better in the video. I like the photos, though they seem extremely photoshopped!

11-10-2011
scenester

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuellaLuella View Post
Yeah, I'll get over it.

Teen Vogue November 2011

Bonus video: teenvogue.com/industry/coverlook/video/coverlook-november-2011/alexa-chung

Teen Vogue? Seriously, Alexa?
I don't like the way she comes across at the beginning of the written interview, slightly entitled...idk. But it's much better in the video. I like the photos, though they seem extremely photoshopped!

I really love the article and the video! I only wish they would've shown her trying on the clothing at Opening Ceremony instead of only 3 somewhat-lame outfits at Madewell... OC is so much more chic and interesting.

I think it's cute that she did Teen Vogue, though - She's already done UK, France and US Vogue, so why not? I'm really not into the photoshoot for this piece, though. The outfits and styling are all like, "seen it."

11-10-2011
V.I.P.

Thanks for posting! And yes, written articles don't always capture tone, so people can come off the wrong way. Luckily the video is better and clearer.

She looks really cute in the pics.

11-10-2011
fashion insider

^Actually I've found over the years she has always always always come off better in videos. Articles don't capture the sarcasm & irony. I think/hope she was making fun of all that 'it-girl' hype.

Alexa’s Playlist of her Favourite Songs
“Baby Love” — Diana Ross and The Supremes
“Stuck on the Puzzle” — Alex Turner (WOOOOWWWW!!!!)
“Jolene” — Dolly Parton
“Changing the Rain” — The Horrors
“Eleventh Dimension” — Julian Casablancas
“Anna (Go to Him)” — The Beatles
“This Year’s Girl” — Elvis Costello
“Forget It” — Blood Orange
“The Letter” — The Box Tops
“Will You Love Me Tomorrow” — The Shirelles
“In the Still of the Night” — Five Satins
“These Days” — Nico

Source: teenvogue.com

11-10-2011
front row

She has friends at Teen Vogue...it's a harmless little feature.

12-10-2011
scenester

I don't know what this pajamas-as-outerwear thing is, but I will definitely never jump on that train. Especially not breezy silkies in mid-autumn. A pajama-cut smoking jacket is one thing, but it is literally impractical in it's actual state.

Tried a few things from her collection on at Madewell and almost bought the black winter jacket with the leather shoulders, but the fit was slightly off. It was very tempting, though. It sucks that Madewell doesn't ship overseas, but honestly, they've always been about her style, even before their collaboration, so it makes sense. They're just about taking really simple ideas and making them with nice fabrics and perfect cuts. I'm sure it'll broaden for the next season if they carry on with it.

12-10-2011
fashion insider

^Speaking of that coat, I found this pic on Tumblr, it was from Brick Lane - so much like Alexa's design!!

5-05.tumblr.com

12-10-2011
V.I.P.

Alexa Chung at the Groucho Club in London - October 11, 2011

tlfan

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2011, 2012, alexa, chung, february, november