How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Star Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

07-01-2007
trendsetter

America Ferrera
America Georgine Ferrera (born April 18, 1984) is an American actress. As of 2006, she stars in the ABC dramedy series Ugly Betty.

superiorpics, TIME

Last edited by kateelle; 07-01-2007 at 10:23 PM.

07-01-2007
V.I.P.

She's beautiful but I didn't realize how much weight she had lost for Ugly Betty.

07-01-2007
trendsetter

She certainly is not ugly. I love Real Women Have Curves.

07-01-2007
trendsetter

miss america
by: cosmogirl

"Ugly Betty" is played by a beautiful girl. You already know the 22-year-old America Ferrera from movies like "Real Women Have Curves" and "The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants." But every Thursday at 8 p.m. on ABC, America shows up in our living room in a bad wig, giant braces, and an awful wardrobe. As Ugly Betty, she gently challenges our ideas of beauty and what makes a girl successful. When America's mother (a single mom with six kids!) chose her daughter's name, do you think she had a feeling that one day her little girl would inspire girls across the country? Either way--Mom must be so proud! Keep reading to find out what's on America's mind...

Do you consider yourself a role model?
The role of Betty is the role model--I think girls, as well as myself, have a lot to learn from her. Betty is the representation of a normal girl, and the more you get to know her, the more you realize she is just like anyone else. She is just as normal as one of the girls in "Sex and the City." The fact that she looks the way she does on the outside doesn't change the fact that everything on the inside is what normal people go through. But she is new and fresh, and has a set of values that young girls will appreciate. How can you not look up to a character who challenges herself to do the right thing?

It must be weird for you to be considered a celebrity.
I have a lot of trouble understanding how people see me as a celebrity. I work 14 hours a day and then I just want to talk to my family, see the people I love, pet my dog, and go to bed. I'm not looking to be best friends with or emulate a celebrity. You'll never see me at the launch of the new PlayStation or some club. For me the fun stuff is being able to get my mom tickets to "Dancing With the Stars"--she loves Mario Lopez.

What about walking the red carpet at premieres?
I used to hate getting dressed, getting in front of the camera and walking down the red carpet. It bothered me because I felt like I couldn't be what they wanted me to be. Now it's still not my favorite thing, but I get through it a lot easier because I know that my work brings value to who I am.

Do you think you will ever play a sexpot role?
If she has substance, why not? The role of Betty felt right, not because I was "ugly," but because of what I could bring to the role.

What do you think of all the too-skinny actresses?
It's all so weird to me--the trend that being anorexic is both elevated and condemned. There are two sides of the entertainment industry: the world of celebrity and the world of acting. I'm not sure what 50 percent of actors are really famous for, other than what they look like. Luckily there are plenty of actresses out there who have changed the vision of beauty in Hollywood. I can think of 10 actresses who are not supermodel-beautiful but who have amazing careers and who are doing big and meaningful films.

Were you ever nervous about being a part of Hollywood?
Yeah. I still have one more semester as an international relations major at University of Southern California, but when I first started college I felt very conflicted about my passion for acting and filmmaking. I couldn't see how it could be important in a world with so much war and hatred, where people are starving to death and dying. So I went to my favorite college professor for advice. He told me about how he mentored a young Latina girl who asked him to watch my movie "Real Women Have Curves" because she felt like the story reflected her life. She had always felt invisible in the world, but the movie changed her life by giving her a voice and a better understanding of herself. That made me feel so much better about what I do.
cosmogirl

07-01-2007
V.I.P.

I think she's so stunning!

Ugly Betty? Puhlease..

[and everytime she laughs. she hopes he's watching.
so he can fall for her smile. just as hard as she fell for his.]
<3

08-01-2007
front row

i LOOVE her! thanks for making this thread!

08-01-2007
trendsetter

You're welcome! Ugly Betty is my guilty pleasure show, I only watch for Amanda, love that girl.

08-01-2007
rising star

That makes two of us, first show in a long time I look forward to watching on a weekly basis.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kateelle
You're welcome! Ugly Betty is my guilty pleasure

08-01-2007
fashion insider

america is gorgeous
i love her in sisterhood of the travelling pants

09-01-2007
V.I.P.

America Ferrera @ MTV TRL - Jan 8

hqcb.net

09-01-2007
fashion insider

^i love her t-shirt she looks good!

09-01-2007
rising star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Snob
She's beautiful but I didn't realize how much weight she had lost for Ugly Betty.

She actually said on Oprah that she had to put on alot of weight for "Real women have Curves" So I think that this is probably closer to how she looked before she made that film

09-01-2007
trendsetter

I wasn't aware this was the same girl from Sisters of the traveling pants movie. It was shocking to see her without her ugly wear.

09-01-2007
trendsetter

she's actually really cute. also a great actress i remember seeing her in travelling pants - probably the only reason to watch that movie.

09-01-2007
front row

She is a very pretty girl, I agree.

I've missed every episode of Ugly Betty besides the first one, hahaha. Anyone know a website that has them to download by any chance?

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
america, ferrera