How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Star Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

12-05-2011
V.I.P.

Her hair colour is different, like a cross between dirty blonde and strawberry blonde. She does smile a lot doesn't she.

She reminds me of a Barbie doll; I have no idea why!? Lol.

12-05-2011
trendsetter

I sort of like the white outfit Blake wore. I wish she hadn't wore the shrug with it though. The black one was too skanky though.

She does seem to look best in those floaty, summery, beachy dresses in real life. (Although as Serena, I think she pulls off glam, high voltage fashion quite well. Somehow, it never translates in real life.)

17-05-2011
fashion insider

The difference between them is amazing. Blake is just so... ineloquent. And she did the Serena sex face out of nowhere

17-05-2011
tfs star

^^ Oh no. Is she nervous or just excited?

17-05-2011
fashion insider

^I don't know. Both?

I just found the contrast very enlightening. Blake sounded very vapid tbh. Clemence talked a lot about why and which things were great. Blake talked a lot about herself, said how great Chanel was but offered very little insight on what exactly made Chanel (or the show) great. Also, I detest when people say "you know" a lot, which she did. It usually means either of two things: 1. You don't know what you're talking about or 2. You don't know how to say what you want to say. And I hate it because no, I don't know. That's why I'm listening to you telling me about it.

17-05-2011
V.I.P.

^ I think she did OK, better than some of the celebs after the shows who have pretty much nothing to say and you wonder if they even saw the show... I think it may be more the contrast with Clemence, who sounds very intelligent and almost like someone who has a formal, fashion school understanding of the concepts...

17-05-2011
fashion insider

^Well, I'm not sure whom you are comparing to, but then you're just comparing to bad examples, no?

Blake said things like I liked the use of yellow because it's a happy colour. That is something kindergarten kids could have told you. I wasn't expecting her to say the dresses had a lot of influence of this and that, etc. I just wanted to hear some concrete examples about what was good about the show. It doesn't mean anything. It just tells me Blake is like any other celebrity at a fashion show. And I do hate it when people say "you know" all the time. No, I DON'T!

17-05-2011
trendsetter

I do think that if you are going to be a brand ambassador for something then you should be able to talk with some authority about the label, or whatever, you're part of. I've seen VS models express more about a bra than she did about that entire collection. There was a lot of generalising in what she said. It's very easy just to say 'the black and white swimsuits are so Chanel', I mean well, you think? It's boring. I'm not expecting a detailed essay but, something deeper would have been nicer than 'I just want to wear it all.' I've worked with an actress for a few years who is also a brand ambassador and she talks so expressively about the collections she attends and what that brand means to her and for me that's how it should be. You'll all disagree no doubt and for the record I don't dislike Blake.

17-05-2011
fashion insider

^That would be in an ideal world.

I never had quite that high expectations for Blake, but she didn't even met my low standards.

17-05-2011
tfs star

I don't expect Blake to analyse and comprise a dissertation of Chanel and to be fair she is compared to Clemence who obviously has a better understanding of fashion than an average person plus French people to me in general are always elegant or at least seem refined. If that segment was just Blake I'm pretty sure no one would pick up on it.

17-05-2011
tfs star

And just because she does not appear to be naturally eloquent or good at expressing her thoughts (in this video, anyway) it doesn't mean she doesn't have an understanding of the brand. Perhaps as an ambassador she should have a memorised statement that she can roll out whenever but she's doing a good job wearing the clothes, attending the events and advertising the products as it is...
I don't really know what the job description is for these things.

Last edited by glitterpeacock; 17-05-2011 at 12:00 PM.

17-05-2011
fashion insider

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsjamesdean View Post
I don't expect Blake to analyse and comprise a dissertation of Chanel and to be fair she is compared to Clemence who obviously has a better understanding of fashion than an average person plus French people to me in general are always elegant or at least seem refined. If that segment was just Blake I'm pretty sure no one would pick up on it.
Except Blake is the brand ambassador and Clemence is not. And what kind of generalisation is "French people are always elegant" anyway? Americans are not then? Pretty sure anyone who was looking for more than empty statements would have noticed. But it does highlight what a difference it makes when someone is truly interested in subject - like Clemence - and the random average celebrity who was picked to endorse the brand.

17-05-2011
V.I.P.

Oh boy, poor Blake, having to speak after Clemence, who was so eloquent. Blake came off as a bit befuddled, you know? :p Clemence, on the other hand, seems more educated (don't know if that is the case) & sophisitcated with her references (Gatsby, Chaplin, 30s glamour, etc), and also more sure of herself. All those "you knows" and "I means" from Blake generally suggest insecurity, which makes me feel a little sorry for her, as she seems 'out of her element'. I still feel like Blake is just an odd, maybe even bad fit for Chanel; she would serve the Michael Kors line or some other American brand much more effectively imo. This is a girl who apparently grew up going to Disneyland twice a month or something; that kind of wide-eyed sunny Californiaism doesn't jive with Chanel for me. It is nothing against Blake, by the way; it is just a mismatch.

17-05-2011
windowshopping

Yeah, given her breadth of knowledge and eloquence in terms of fashion, I'd buy that Clemence doesn't employ a stylist

HAH!

17-05-2011
V.I.P.

Aboard a yacht with Leonardo DiCaprio in Monaco - May 17, 2011

tlfan

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2011, april, blake, lively, september