How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Star Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

06-03-2011
fashion elite

On the last pics, Christian Louboutin is by her side

06-03-2011
trendsetter

I love the silver dress in #619 and the white dress before that. She has been looking fantastic lately and her red carpet style is wonderful right now.

06-03-2011
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlepaperstars View Post
She wore the last dress well, not so sure about the shoes.Lover coat in those candids too. I just don't see her as a Chanel ambassador, she doesn't fit my idea of the Chanel aesthetic like Keira, Vanessa or even Diane. I like Blake but I think it's all a bit too much teeth, tits and tan for Chanel, she strikes me as more Calvin Klein girl
I read this really self-indulgent and obnoxious NY Times on Blake (probably from her PR's payroll) earlier and they said something about how Chanel is thinking outside the box with Blake and suggested she's not a "waif" like the other girls (basically insulted not only Leighton, but Kate, Keira, and Vanessa in one article to prop her). I just don't think aesthetic-wise, she's anything more special or controversial than when Chanel chose Lily Allen. Personally, she strikes me as more of an Abercrombie and Fitch girl.

The only other high profile celebrity endorsement that's covered in the media right now is probably Natalie Portman for Miss Dior Cherie and she carried two box office hits and won an Oscar for one yet she's still less ubiquitous than Blake Lively.

Like props to Blake, but everything about her is still so tacky.

Edit: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/06/fa...ed=1&src=twrhp - if anyone's interested.

Last edited by lawaldorf; 06-03-2011 at 10:29 AM.

06-03-2011
front row

"Almost immediately eclipsing her brunet co-star Leighton Meester — who also sat front-row at Chanel couture in July, but was then chosen for the lower-key Vera Wang and Missoni campaigns....she is Betty to Ms. Meester’s Veronica"
-Golden Girl NY Times

I feel like people are always trying to pit these two against each other and create a competition. Why can't they both be successful beautiful young actress without drama or one being better than the other. This journalists style of writing is very high school, immature and tacky imo.

06-03-2011
fashion icon

^Co-stars on a show will always be compared and linked to one another.

The only reason Blake is fronting Chanel is that she has Anna Wintour's endorsement for some odd reason. While Blake has that one endoresment Leighton Meester has landed several campaigns and I think that is more telling which actress companies prefer.

Blake seems like a perfectly nice girl and she's pretty with a nice body and smile. However she cannot dress herself. I feel like lately the industry anoints people as fashion icons then tries to force them into the title when it doesn't fit. Why not champion someone who has already show a knack for individual style?

06-03-2011
windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavonine View Post
Her face is utterly commonplace.
lol!

who says **** like this? pop your monocle out and take it down a notch.

06-03-2011
Meg
inspired contemplation

^
I must agree - honestly, I like Blake, but that article is an insult to the NYT.

I don't think Blake dresses poorly - she dresses a lot like Serena, and pretty much is a mannequin - ie. she takes on what is given to her. Because she has an amazing body, she looks good in a lot but I don't think the fact that she's so impressionable is so bad.

I'll have to wait and see whether she's a fit for chanel after the shots come out - she does represent a classic American glamour, and if they did a more 20s vibe with the shoot, I could see it working. But we'll see. According to Lainey, Blake isn't booking many jobs in Hollywood at the moment so it'll be interesting to see what happens...

06-03-2011
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by loladonna View Post
^Co-stars on a show will always be compared and linked to one another.
Being a Leighton fan and reading almost everything under the sun about her, I've never seen one article nor interview that's supposed to be chronicling her success that has put Blake down. Granted, when something good happens to Leighton or when she meets up with designers, she doesn't have her PR hit up the media to create more press about it, to be honest. With Blake, you'd see it in Vogue or have articles like these come out the next day. I wouldn't be surprised if the comparisons are encouraged by Blake's camp.

06-03-2011
front row

She looks beautiful at the Chanel dinner. Not too sure about the shoes though..

06-03-2011
scenester

Lol why does anything positive about Blake have to "paid for by her PR"! Without fail I always see this comment on anything remotely nice about her. The part about Leighton was unnecessary and immature imo - but that's what the media is like sometimes. So why assume its because of her PR just cos you dobt like it. From day 1 it was inevitable that B & L would be compared - this was further heightened by the type of characters they play on the show. People love to treat Leighton like she's "holier than thou" - they both want IT as badly as each other but somehow people act like Blake is the only one seeking it. And to say that just cos Leighton has more endorsements speaks about her character is kind of ridiculous. By that same notion - Kim Kardashian would be well respected too then. I'm sure Blake has been offered a few endorsements over the years but it seems like the girl knows what she wants and is not willing to settle. Ever heard the notion "it's the quality not quantity". I know this will probably set you off but you asked for by making such a statement.

It also annoys me that people (especially L fans) always try to undermine Blake's achievement by saying she only got it through Anna. So what if she did - isnt that how everyone gets endorsements - it takes someone to notice you and recommend you etc; its not like a test where you either pass or fail its subjective. No one forced these designers to take Blake, but obviously there was something about her that they liked to select her. As powerful as Anna is, I don't think Karl would have chosen Blake if he didn't like her etc. It's also ridiculous to say that she also only got this far because she's a suck up. Anna, Karl etc. are used to ppl sucking up to them so it's kind of ridiculous that they would be doing all of this just cos she sucks up to them. Face it they like her and/or her look/style.

I think the main problem people (mainly the young ones) have is that Blair/Leighton seems to be more liked by GG fans so they don't understand why it doesn't translate into the general media etc. Whereas Serena/Blake isn't as popular with the audience. People fail to realize that GG audience doesn't = the whole population. Sometimes on blogs I'm surprised by how much it seems that Blake is hated but on social networking sites eg twitter, facebook I only see positive things.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by OhSoLively; 06-03-2011 at 12:18 PM.

06-03-2011
fashion icon

I think you raise some good points OhSoLively but I think the reason Blake is unusual is that she is not the fan favorite from GG yet she gets a disproportionate amount of media attention. Typically it works in reverse-- the fan favorite from a hit show gets the most attention via magazine covers and such.

It is rare for a TV star to get a Vogue cover which is usually reserved for A-list movie actresses. Blake has no Emmy or Golden globe award or nomination under her belt and her acting skills aren't that highly regarded. Blake's first Vogue cover did not sell great yet she was given another cover the following year which was also a relatively poor seller. Those in the know about fashion generally agree that her personal style is lacking yet she is being touted and forced upon us as a fashion icon and given a Chanel campaign. So I think all this adds up to one big WTF and people are rightfully questioning why all the hype?

06-03-2011
fashion insider

She actually looked so stunning at the Chanel event, hate the shoes but thats my only criticism!

06-03-2011
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by loladonna View Post
I think you raise some good points OhSoLively but I think the reason Blake is unusual is that she is not the fan favorite from GG yet she gets a disproportionate amount of media attention. Typically it works in reverse-- the fan favorite from a hit show gets the most attention via magazine covers and such.

It is rare for a TV star to get a Vogue cover which is usually reserved for A-list movie actresses. Blake has no Emmy or Golden globe award or nomination under her belt and her acting skills aren't that highly regarded. Blake's first Vogue cover did not sell great yet she was given another cover the following year which was also a relatively poor seller. Those in the know about fashion generally agree that her personal style is lacking yet she is being touted and forced upon us as a fashion icon and given a Chanel campaign. So I think all this adds up to one big WTF and people are rightfully questioning why all the hype?
I agree with everything you just said. I don't dislike Blake, but I do think her whole climb to fame has been very interesting, and very reflective of the mass market mentality. I mean, of course the tall thin blonde Barbie girl is going to get all the attention. I'm not a huge fan of either Blake or Leighton, but I do watch the show and keep up with their appearances, and Leighton in my opinion, is by far the better actress and a more interesting dresser. I just find Blake too boring, she says the same thing in every interview, "I'm from Burbank, I'm from a big family, I don't drink, Martha Stewart is my hero, I would sell my soul to Chanel, etc." It's just blah.

06-03-2011
V.I.P.

i don't like at all what she wore to the latest Chanel event..it looks pretty tacky

06-03-2011
scenester

I understand why people would be quite confused as to why Blake gets more attention despite the fact that she's not the fan favorite. The problem I have is that they seem to blame her! ANYONE who was presented with the opportunities that she has had would have taken them - people act like she should have turned them down because she didnt "deserve them". People forget that GG is talked about alot more than it's actually watched. So a lot of how their judged is based on outside work and interviews etc. I was always indifferent to the both of them but after seeing some of their interviews, i just found Blakes energy and excitement very endearing. Most celebs tend to repeat themselves in most of their interview because they are asked similar questions; you will only find them annoying and fake is you dislike that person.

As for their style sense, yes Leighton is a bit more edgy etc. But that's because that's her style. Blake isn't that sort of girl. I would find it fake if she did try to do what Leighton did. Leighton at the begining of last year was trying way too hard to be anti Blair but towards the end of the year she found a balance. Blake went through the same process of trying to find her own style and like L, I think she's found her footing. It's annoying that people are always digging at Blake by saying she's just a "typical Californian girl". I mean what else is she supposed to be - that's who she is. So are the many faces in celebdom - most of them were all "typical ....". Only a few are exceptional beauties. Now she's found a way to add her own touch to the things she wears. Like with Chanel - Blake tends to go for the sexier styles because that's her aesthetic - she would look ridiculous if she tried to pull of some of the more edgier HC styles that say Diane Kruger would wear. Some people find her boring, some people don't. You're just gonna think you're right depending on what side you're on. Same goes for Leighton and celeb.

As for the "style icon" moniker, practically every fashionable female celeb is given that. It's over used and has lost some of it's meaning but that's the way it goes. Just like SATC, the GG cast were pretty much automatically referred to style icons due to their characters alone.

Whether or not you feel that Blake deserves the attention she gets, i think its wrong to sort of hold it against her. At the moment they are both beniffiting from the show; whether they will both "survive" after it ends remains to be seen. I mean look at the OC girls! In closing, I guess we will have to agree to disagree.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by OhSoLively; 06-03-2011 at 03:47 PM.

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2010, 2011, blake, lively, november