How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Star Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

06-03-2011
rising star

She really doesn't fit my idea of Chanel. When I think of Chanel, I think of effortlessly chic. Diane, Keira, and Vanessa have vastly different styles but they all have this effortless air about them. You don't lose sight of the girl wearing the clothes. They wear the clothes, not the other way around. When I see Blake, I don't really get a sense of who she is from the outfit. Blake's shown that she can dress well on occasion but her looks are always too calculated. Everything is too done up and always a little too tight. This is just my opinion so feel free to disagree if you want.

06-03-2011
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhSoLively View Post
you will only find them annoying and fake is you dislike that person.

You're just gonna think you're right depending on what side you're on. Same goes for Leighton and celeb.

As for the "style icon" moniker, practically every fashionable female celeb is given that. It's over used and has lost some of it's meaning but that's the way it goes. Just like SATC, the GG cast were pretty much automatically referred to style icons due to their characters alone.

At the moment they are both beniffiting from the show; whether they will both "survive" after it ends remains to be seen. I mean look at the OC girls! In closing, I guess we will have to agree to disagree.
Posted via Mobile Device

It's nothing to do with sides or disliking a celebrities style because you 'dislike them as a person'. I think that's a problem with a lot of the threads in style star lately. Anyone with a dissenting opinion is declared a hater, someone who is jealous, or someone who only dislikes that outfit or the person's style because they don't like the person in question. That is completely ridiculous.

I agree about The OC and the fame that Mischa got out of just being a pretty face. That being said, her style at the time was really emulated and embraced by a lot of people. Even though she was being styled some of the time, I think her style appealed because her interest in fashion came across as genuine and more personal and less manufactured. With Blake, it seems that her 'fashion icon' status has been pushed more from a media perspective as opposed the public liking that person's style themselves and elevating that celebrities status because of their interest (as with Mischa for a short while in her career). But iirc, despite being in the fashion hub, the campaigns she was getting was things like Bebe and Neutrogena. No comparison at all!

Also - SATC started a lot of trends and made certain designers more 'fashionable'. It at least deserves the fashion based recognition it has gotten over GG. The only person who was touted a style icon from that show anyway was sjp and that’s not a controversial fact.

Last edited by Lacroix; 06-03-2011 at 04:05 PM.

06-03-2011
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloomers View Post
She really doesn't fit my idea of Chanel. When I think of Chanel, I think of effortlessly chic. Diane, Keira, and Vanessa have vastly different styles but they all have this effortless air about them. You don't lose sight of the girl wearing the clothes. They wear the clothes, not the other way around. When I see Blake, I don't really get a sense of who she is from the outfit. Blake's shown that she can dress well on occasion but her looks are always too calculated. Everything is too done up and always a little too tight. This is just my opinion so feel free to disagree if you want.
I agree. Blake just doesn't have that ladylike quality about her.
Maybe I just associate her with Serena or something, but she's just missing that
effortless class that other Chanel faces have.
Nicole Kidman, Audrey Tautou, Marilyn Monroe, Vanessa Paradis, Carole Bouquet, etc all don't have to try at all.

Someone mentioned earlier that Blake seems more of Calvin Klein girl and I agree. She's very California/Valley girl to me.

But maybe Chanel just wants to take a different approach.
This isn't the first time they've gone with someone completely unexpected...I was more shocked by Lily Allen than I am about Blake.

Last edited by sobriquet87; 06-03-2011 at 05:20 PM.

06-03-2011
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloomers View Post
I couldn't agree more.

06-03-2011
scenester

^^ I don't agree but I'm not going to disagree with you either lol. I wouldnt classify her as your normal "Chanel girl" either; she's more a mix of RL and Versace imho. But I think Karl is just trying to inject a different energy into it. Isn't she like the 1st non European ambassador? There are a few ambassadors (from different brands too) I don't agree with but at the end of the day it's not really gonna change anything.

^ what I meant with the SATC comparison was that because they are on a show mainly known for it's fashion, they automatically become more stylish by association. That's just the way it goes. Obviously SJP is more deserving of the "style icon" status than the GG girls but I think half of it is owed to the show itself. Same goes for the GG girls - they wouldn't be considered as stylish if it wasn't for the show.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by OhSoLively; 06-03-2011 at 05:38 PM.

06-03-2011
V.I.P.

how is she CK girl?
we discussed before she would be perfect for Ralph Lauren....but CK-no..... Chanel makes more sense....
we haven't see the pics so stooooop with all the hate!!!!

06-03-2011
fashion elite

i think Chanel way better know who is fits the brand more
and i looking forward for any new Blake's opportunities, she is gorgeous!

06-03-2011
fashion elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by loladonna View Post
Blake seems like a perfectly nice girl and she's pretty with a nice body and smile. However she cannot dress herself.
come on! Blake's style is chic and really sophisticated, she is always glowing
or you try to say what ridiculous and cheep Leighton fashion choices are better?

06-03-2011
fashion elite

Quote:
It also annoys me that people (especially L fans) always try to undermine Blake's achievement by saying she only got it through Anna. So what if she did - isnt that how everyone gets endorsements - it takes someone to notice you and recommend you etc; its not like a test where you either pass or fail its subjective. No one forced these designers to take Blake, but obviously there was something about her that they liked to select her. As powerful as Anna is, I don't think Karl would have chosen Blake if he didn't like her etc. It's also ridiculous to say that she also only got this far because she's a suck up. Anna, Karl etc. are used to ppl sucking up to them so it's kind of ridiculous that they would be doing all of this just cos she sucks up to them. Face it they like her and/or her look/style.
omg, karma! i think the same way! why L fans can't say the same thing about her? simple - they her fans. Blake is gorgeous and i'm not surprised what she was choosen by Chanel, i think Leighton should learn from her

06-03-2011
backstage pass

Quote:
The problem I have is that they seem to blame her! ANYONE who was presented with the opportunities that she has had would have taken them - people act like she should have turned them down because she didnt "deserve them."
While this is true, that there is absolutely nothing wrong with what she's doing, smart even with what's the media culture's become, there's also an underlining of tackiness about it that doesn't sit right with people and a lot of it IS Blake's doing. She can wear whatever she wants and do whatever benefits her career, but it's just not in good taste to show up at an event like the Emmys, where she was merely a presenter, showing that much skin. I think she also went to the Sherlock Holmes movie premiere, upstaging both leading ladies that were actually in the film (and please save the "but Rachel McAdams could've worn a see-through dress and showed so cleavage too!" - no). It's very doubtful she just wore those things because she thought they were cute and didn't realize her half-dressed state was going to take away from the honorees. Like, why are we anointing this?

People are going question why is she being shoved down our throats, mentioned in the likes of Carey Mulligan, Natalie Portman, Keira Knightley, when her most prestigious credit is a 5-10 minute role in The Town and Gossip Girl. I really doubt Baz Luhrmann, Alfonso Cuaron, Chris Nolan, etc. need her for press rather than Blake/her team planting her name in every high profile casting. Again, nothing wrong since everyone's doing their jobs, but still annoying?

Her volunteering anecdotes like she doesn't use a stylist (the way she's expressed it like celebs should be ashamed of using stylists), like she turned down something equally as good as Chanel just to do Chanel (please don't make me dig up the paparazzi pictures of her casual product placements), how she was to veer away from doing commercial things after Gossip Girl, etc., this whole contrivance is basically independent doing on her side and it's too much... it's not about these designers providing her with opportunities and that we should blame them. I think people would respond better if she does just own up to the fact that she's getting these things because she can as opposed to all of these snobbish spiels about being anti-stylist, in demand, and how she's been a fashionista all of her life and was teased about not dressing like everyone else.

My point is Blake is in the driver's seat, touting her own horn as much as the industry is indulging her. And it's perfectly valid that people roll their eyes at it when there are a lot more established and talented actresses aren't as shameless and gratuitous about it. Heck, look at her co-stars. Taylor got Madonna and Galliano and Leighton with her low key Missoni and Vera Wang--the vibes are just different.

Quote:
Leighton at the begining of last year was trying way too hard to be anti Blair but towards the end of the year she found a balance.
This is just false.. Leighton is not Blair Waldorf. There's no need to try anything. She simply has fun with fashion (I don't think her Marc Jacobs look recently was toned down at all from what she did in 2010). She's modest and elegant when she goes to award shows as a guest and doesn't pull her usual crazy **** there.

Last edited by lawaldorf; 06-03-2011 at 07:42 PM.

06-03-2011
V.I.P.

both L and B are in early 20s and since they are popular stylist dress them.... so, stop the blake hate. i don't like most of what blake wears, but she has the most amazing body and smile and her and teeth.... and she is sexy as hell, and if i was a guy in puberty i'd have her poster on my bedroom wall.

06-03-2011
fashion elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenab View Post
I just find Blake too boring, she says the same thing in every interview, "I'm from Burbank, I'm from a big family, I don't drink, Martha Stewart is my hero, I would sell my soul to Chanel, etc." It's just blah.
ok, good for Blake - she is talks about her life, what she like
every Leighton's interview about Chuck/Blair or her dump music

06-03-2011
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katya View Post
omg, karma! i think the same way! why L fans can't say the same thing about her? simple - they her fans. Blake is gorgeous and i'm not surprised what she was choosen by Chanel, i think Leighton should learn from her
LOL how do you get so defensive about apparent L fans (not everyone who's unconvinced of Blake is a Leighton fan, just so you know) bashing Blake and then say something like that.

06-03-2011
I don't know

MOD NOTE
Can this discussion please end now. It's been discussed over and over again in both actresses' threads and people will always disagree. So can everyone please agree to disagree?

Having read that article in NY Times I find it very upsetting the comment she made about stylists:
Quote:
“If someone else dressed me, it’s them interpreting me, but the truth is, people don’t know me,” said Ms. Lively.
I work as a Personal Shopper and sometimes stylist I find that comment very insulting. As a PS, my job isn't to interpret and dress someone, it's helping them find themselves in fashion. I never tell my clients what to wear, nor do I create anything for them or tell them who they are. The decision is always theirs in the end, I'm merely there helping them and making that decision easier.

I have a feeling that she doesn't understand the stylist business at all. And she doesn't seem to understand the difference between being a stylist for photoshoots/film and being a personal stylist.

06-03-2011
tfs star

^That article had a quote about Leighton from the stylist that was really unnecessary.
Blake may not look as suitable as a Chanel girl than, say, Vanessa, but her ads will help reel in the younger clients who probably have monogrammed bed sheets and what not.

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2010, 2011, blake, lively, november