How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Star Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

30-04-2011
V.I.P.

Nobody is saying that she isn't worthy of her success. They are talking about her being considered 'influential'.

30-04-2011
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonjourTristesse View Post
The same could be said about any other "fashion icon" - I'm thinking Alexa Chung, Rachel Bilson, Kate Bosworth. They are ALL mediocre actresses/women.
I actually see alot in Blake... I think she is beautiful and not your typical model-esque face. She is NOT classically pretty, despite of the long hair and nose job... I think she has a very interesting, strong face. Her body is flawless. I also find her personality refreshing. I'm so sick and tired of those pseudo-intellectual actresses who are so "alternative" (I'm thinking Alexa Chung) and really go shopping every day.
I think Blake is just a young, natural (!) girl who is showing she is happy... I think especially in these times that's refreshing - she's light and upbeat without coming off like an airhead.

I AGREE that she is not a perfect "Chanel" girl. At least in my opinion. But I don't get all the hate... I think she dresses fantastically most of the time. And for those who say she has a stylist - doesn't EVERYONE have a stylist these days? I'm 99,9% sure, that all relatively famous starlets have stylists. So yes, I do think she deserves the title "fashionable" - maybe not for women over 25 - but I know many many 16-24 yr olds that completely copy her style - in particular from Gossip Girl.
I'm not a fan of Alexa's style at all but no one can actually deny the literal impact she has had on style/fashion be it highstreet or whatever else. When you think that her look has sparked so many imitations in places like Topshop which imitate her outfits/style you can see the trend she has created. It's the same thing with Sienna Miller a few years ago. Horrible actress but it was her style that sparked peoples interest. For Alexa and Sienna, people didn't have to scratch their heads at why [sienna] would get a Vogue cover because her boho look was so widely copied. Now that is called having an impact on fashion because the public were not told to like her/Alexa's style, they liked it for themselves and only then did the magazines/designers take note. Not so with Blake Lively's style. The designers/magazines are telling the public that she is a style icon, they are pushing the point so hard and trying to make her happen.

And Kate Bosworth and Rachel Bilson...are they really being pushed as style icons like Blake is? It's not the same at all.

Blake's style isn't ground breaking, it's something you could find on any girl. It has no real personality so yes she may dress well but then that's not hard when you have access to whatever designers you want. The point is, none of what you have listed gives her credibility for what she has gained from her megre roles and questionable acting. There are nice, pretty girls everywhere who don't go to clubs. She's not a rareity in that sense nor is that something that should grant her an influential title nor a Chanel contract nor anything else. You have to prove yourself first in the field you are in. It's all way too premature and makes you wonder about the longevity of her career

Last edited by Lacroix; 30-04-2011 at 01:15 PM.

30-04-2011
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aoedele View Post
worthy of her success
The only thing she's so far succeeded in is generating a buttload of hype around her. See, it's not rocket science mate. Nobody takes a pop at truly 'successful' actresses like Carey Mulligan. It's the empty vessels which make most of the noise.

30-04-2011
trendsetter

^^^Bingo!!

30-04-2011
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacroix View Post
I'm not a fan of Alexa's style at all but no one can actually deny the literal impact she has had on style/fashion be it highstreet or whatever else. When you think that her look has sparked so many imitations in places like Topshop which imitate her outfits/style you can see the trend she has created. It's the same thing with Sienna Miller a few years ago. Horrible actress but it was her style that sparked peoples interest. For Alexa and Sienna, people didn't have to scratch their heads at why [sienna] would get a Vogue cover because her boho look was so widely copied. Now that is called having an impact on fashion because the public were not told to like her/Alexa's style, they liked it for themselves and only then did the magazines/designers take note. Not so with Blake Lively's style. The designers/magazines are telling the public that she is a style icon, they are pushing the point so hard and trying to make her happen.

And Kate Bosworth and Rachel Bilson...are they really being pushed as style icons like Blake is? It's not the same at all.

Blake's style isn't ground breaking, it's something you could find on any girl. It has no real personality so yes she may dress well but then that's not hard when you have access to whatever designers you want. The point is, none of what you have listed gives her credibility for what she has gained from her megre roles and questionable acting. There are nice, pretty girls everywhere who don't go to clubs. She's not a rareity in that sense nor is that something that should grant her an influential title nor a Chanel contract nor anything else. You have to prove yourself first in the field you are in. It's all way too premature and makes you wonder about the longevity of her career
Hey, Sienna is a fantastic actress!

30-04-2011
trendsetter

I'm not wanting to really get into this here, it's not the place, but Sienna is actually a wonderfully competent actress, her stage work is far superior to her film work though.

30-04-2011
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonjourTristesse View Post
The same could be said about any other "fashion icon" - I'm thinking Alexa Chung, Rachel Bilson, Kate Bosworth. They are ALL mediocre actresses/women.
I actually see alot in Blake... I think she is beautiful and not your typical model-esque face. She is NOT classically pretty, despite of the long hair and nose job... I think she has a very interesting, strong face. Her body is flawless. I also find her personality refreshing. I'm so sick and tired of those pseudo-intellectual actresses who are so "alternative" (I'm thinking Alexa Chung) and really go shopping every day.
I think Blake is just a young, natural (!) girl who is showing she is happy... I think especially in these times that's refreshing - she's light and upbeat without coming off like an airhead.

I AGREE that she is not a perfect "Chanel" girl. At least in my opinion. But I don't get all the hate... I think she dresses fantastically most of the time. And for those who say she has a stylist - doesn't EVERYONE have a stylist these days? I'm 99,9% sure, that all relatively famous starlets have stylists. So yes, I do think she deserves the title "fashionable" - maybe not for women over 25 - but I know many many 16-24 yr olds that completely copy her style - in particular from Gossip Girl.

Very good post!Agree about everything!
Also, I really can't see all the hype for Alexa Chung...can't find anything interesting about her!
on the other hand Blake is one of my crushes. and I still can't understand from where all these hate for her comes from...what have she done?

30-04-2011
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvstratus View Post
... I still can't understand from where all these hate for her comes from...what have she done?
No doubt people who got bored with ripping Olivia Palermo apart...

30-04-2011
V.I.P.

why do people constantly say "Haters gonna hate" when anyone comments on anything remotely critical?
you CAN be both a fan and objective about someone.

30-04-2011
fashion elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantastical View Post
why do people constantly say "Haters gonna hate" when anyone comments on anything remotely critical?
you CAN be both a fan and objective about someone.
I see the same in others thread, for example: Leighton Meester thread

Back to topic, Blake's criticals is ridiculous for me, if you don't really like her as one artist, likeable person, stylish girl, why you here? I never understand any attention for Jessica Alba for example, she is one of the worst actresses for me and i don't care about her awards, etc. I can sometimes comment her style if i loved it, that's all. If Blake won awards, this mean she deserve it, people knew why if they give it to her. I explain mine point of view, i think she is good example for anyone and she can act. IMO I see her as one talanted girl, with amazing style, she is sweet as personality (i saw her interviews), she don't care about any scandals and don't create them. I view GG only mostly because of her, in fact this is lame show.

30-04-2011
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LolaSvelt View Post
Hey, Sienna is a fantastic actress!
I thought she showed true potential in Edge of Love; she was better than Keira by far. I think she still needs the right role to showcase her talent tbh

Last edited by Lacroix; 30-04-2011 at 07:09 PM.

30-04-2011
front row

Regardless of how beautiful, influential or stylish she is no one can deny that fact that she's come VERY far since her Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants days.

Like I said earlier, I don't think she's influential per se; but I do respect her as a young woman who has grabbed the attention of people who ARE influential like: Anna Wintour, Karl Lagerfeld and Harvey Weinstein.

30-04-2011
Automated Thread Manager

This thread is now closed it has a continuation thread Here

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2010, 2011, blake, lively, november