How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Star Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

11-11-2011
scenester

God I find it so annoying that no matter when I look in this thread there are always people complaining about her 'showing too much skin'. Speaking from my experience ( and I would say I have a similar body shape to Blake's), I can put on a dress that one of my friend wears and it looks quite conservative on them but when I wear it, it can look like just legs and boobs, plus I have slim hips so I have to be really careful in balancing my top and bottom half.

So I guess I'm just saying that sometimes I don't think she is intentionally putting her body so much on show, it's just happens to appear like that.

AND some of the negative comments about her showing skin are actually in relation to her gossip girl character, that is not Blake people, that is Serena.

Love All, Trust A Few, Do Wrong To None - Shakespeare's All's Well

11-11-2011
V.I.P.

I think it's easily summed up like this: Anna Wintour gave her seal saying Blake is a fashion girl and when she dresses like a cast member from Jersey Shore it really pisses people off because they don't think all her fashion kudos were deserved to begin with. If she had been eased into her position (the countless covers, the Chanel campaign, the designer fawning over her), then I think she would not be so controversial.

11-11-2011
V.I.P.

^ I agree with you Luxxx. Although how anyone can think Blake is tacky when you looks at people like the Jersey Shore cast it just can be compared.

11-11-2011
fashion icon

I don't think she's tacky. I just think her taste has yet to mature. I don't think she quite 'gets' how to put things together in a way that shows off her assets in a positive light. I always feel like she tends to go overboard, so her style feels like it's lacking authenticity. It's more like she just piles things on because she thinks that's what being edgy is about. But the looks that I love of hers, for instance, the blue Marchesa dress she wore to the Met Ball one year, tend to be the ones where she was more refined and not so out there either with her sex appeal or with her accessories. I wish that she could find more of a balance. Like with that black and white dress... I love the dress and I even love it with the blazer, but the tights were so, so unnecessary. She needs to learn when to take something off, when to add something, etc.

11-11-2011
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by saann View Post
I hate it when people pull the jealousy card because 9 times out of 10, it's not true.

It's sad because sometimes her style can almost be on point only to be ruined by her constant need to show cleavage or legs (usually both). There's understated sexiness and there's sexiness that's in your face screaming 'look at me'. She only seems to understand the latter one.

Just to show an example, this is one of my favorite Blake looks and also the one I find to be her sexiest. And it doesn't even have cleavage or legs on display. When she went this route, it didn't come off as desperate to me.
i completely agree. it is insulting to say that someone is jealous because they don't like someone's style. some people can find different people attractive/stylish etc.
i have no problem if she wants to show some skin. i have a problem that a lot of her clothes don't FIT her. there is a difference. you can show skin in a dress that is your size and designed to show skin, not just by wearing a dress that is too small and makes your boobs sit up around your neck.

there are things my friends can wear that i cannot, and the other way around. so i DON'T wear it. that what annoys me about blake being touted as a style icon. i style icon knows that not every body can wear everything.

if i love something so much but it doesn't fit my body shape, i have it altered. i'm sure blake has more than enough means to do this.

12-11-2011
fashion elite

Jersey Shore members always looks like they from a trash, meanwhile Blake looks really sophisticated and glamour. Girl can wear long or short, she is good in everything and only her mood can dictate her what to wear. And i love to see her legs, cause she always looks hot in tight dresses

12-11-2011
When in doubt, wear red.

My main problem is that whoever styles her thinks it's a good idea to put her in those tiny rather slutty outfits to go on events and so for people who don't follow her daily style like us it's very easy to asume that the girl loves her body and loves to show it off. And yet her daily style is completely different. Blake is an extremely gorgeous and hot girl by nature, so I agree with the ones who say that she doesn't need to always cause a boob alert whenever she's on a red carpet. I'm way more turned on by her when she's more demure. Also when you're a Chanel and Vogue favourite there's some things you should avoid to wear. As for the jersey shore comparison it's a bit arsh but it's true that her last 2 event looks were going into that road.

Last edited by Wolkfolk; 12-11-2011 at 07:30 AM.

12-11-2011
fashion insider

i personally believe that Blake is one of the girls who can put a tiny dress on and actually not end up looking as a slut. she has a natural elegance rarely seen on Hollywood stars of the moment, so please spare me the whole she-looks-like-a-slut drama

12-11-2011
fashion elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by ng19 View Post
i personally believe that Blake is one of the girls who can put a tiny dress on and actually not end up looking as a slut. she has a natural elegance rarely seen on Hollywood stars of the moment, so please spare me the whole she-looks-like-a-slut drama
so true! even if i remember some of her famous Gossip Girl outfits, incredibly short and tight, she never looks super-sexy with a slut hint

12-11-2011
fashion icon

If it's in her nature to be "sexy" then her stylist needs to find a way to let her be sexy without looking cheap or tarty. As the saying goes if you're going to show off your boobs, cover your legs and vice versa so it's not overkill. Ill-fitting clothes-- whether too tight or too loose-- also contribute to the sense of tackiness.

Is she still affiliated with Chanel? She hasn't been cheesing it up at events with Anna or Karl lately.

Last edited by loladonna; 12-11-2011 at 03:32 PM.

12-11-2011
V.I.P.

It is all subjective in terms of liking someone's style or not, and all opinions are valid. Blake just seems to polarize for whatever reason.

To me her event style is overkill and thus it borders on tacky. That may be due to piling on too much (e.g. Over-doing it with details and accessories, much like the GG stylist does too) and/or showing too much skin (perhaps due to bad fit). I agree with loladonna. Pick one erogenous zone to emphasize if the goal is to be sexy, and work it. Not all assests have to be on display simultaneously. Like with the latest outfit: it is very short, AND her boobs are pushed up and emphasized. It is overkill in my humble opinion, and if anything it detracts from Blake's natural beauty because one's eyes go to the body more so - Less so to the clothes and the face. Which is too bad.

In her own street style, you can see that she has an easy style, more happy-go-lucky almost. It would be nice to see Blake (or her stylist) translate that for the red carpet too.

Fashion: Don’t you recognize me? Death: You should know that I don’t see very well and I can’t wear glasses. Fashion: I’m Fashion, your sister. Death: My sister? Fashion: Yes. You and I together keep undoing and changing things down here on earth although you go about it in one way and I another. Giacomo Leopardi, “Dialogue Between Fashion and Death.”abridged

Last edited by Not Plain Jane; 12-11-2011 at 04:16 PM.

12-11-2011
tfs star

Quote:
Originally Posted by ng19 View Post
'Natural elegance' is not something I would use to describe Blake Lively. She can look elegant and sophisticated when she tries (e.g. the MTV look with the Kors dress) but she does not come off as poised and elegant in her interviews or her candid style or the majority of her event style. When I think of someone who is naturally elegant, I think of Charlize Theron and (recently) Amber Heard. Those two look polished at all times (see Charlize's many airport candids).

Meanwhile, when I look at Blake and her interviews, I see this giggly, young blonde who is bubbly and fun and having the time of her life. And that's totally cool, it is great that she is happy-go-lucky, but it doesn't come across as elegant. That doesn't mean you have to be stone faced to be elegant, but a lot of it has to do with how you carry yourself, from your style to posing to speaking manner.

12-11-2011
trendsetter

Elegance is usually associated with classiness, and women who names come up when those terms are mentioned: Audrey Hepburn, Grace Kelly, Jackie O. How did they dress? Covered up. Never like a bimbo. Marilyn Monroe was a great dresser herself, but she's never mentioned in that group. Why? She wore tight, flashy clothes.

Blake exposes too much. Yes, she has to die for legs. Yes, her boobage area is not lacking. But it is not neccessary for her to show them both on the red carpet all the time. Other stars dress sexy at red carpet events but they don't expose it all, all the time. Even back in her heyday, Jennifer Lopez wasn't revealing it all at red carpet events (which is why the famous green leaf patterned Versace gown made such iconic moment: it was super-revealing even for her).

Quote:
AND some of the negative comments about her showing skin are actually in relation to her gossip girl character, that is not Blake people, that is Serena.
Blake and Eric Damen are both on the record that she helps choose Serena's clothing on the show (& has been since season 2, recall in season 1, Serena was in covered up clothing), so it is Blake as well as Serena doing the skin-revealing.

LOL! Jersey Shore is the perfect description. Nowhere near as trashy, but appropriate. And, I have no problem with Blake being a fun-loving, giggly blonde. My problem is that she refuses to own it. She (and her stans) want me to believe she's this sophisticated jet-setter fashionista. Please.

12-11-2011
tfs star

you people take this way too seriously.
she can show as much skin as she likes because she's hot and she's young.
get over it.
she's obviously doing something right with fashion to get all you people talking...ALL THE TIME...good or bad.

12-11-2011
rising star

I think the tackiness mostly comes from the way she poses and her hair which almost always looks unbrushed and disheveled. Since she's been taken under Anna's "wing", she tries too hard to be a fashionista. Her style was much better in 2008-2009 before all the hype imo. She still gets it right sometimes like that yellow Chloe dress she wore for Green Lantern press, one of her best look ever.

Quote:
Is she still affiliated with Chanel? She hasn't been cheesing it up at events with Anna or Karl lately.
I think so, all of three of them are supposed to be at the MoMA Film Benefit on Tuesday. If not she still has Christian and Lorraine, not the same caliber but nonetheless

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2011, 2012, blake, june, lively, september