How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Star Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

22-05-2013
trendsetter

I actually quite enjoyed her performance in The Great Gatsby, I'm surprised she's getting such flack for it.

And yes, she has changed stylists. I believe she's with Rooney Mara and Mia Wasikowska's stylist Ryan Hastings.

Last edited by girlyevil; 22-05-2013 at 05:08 PM.

22-05-2013
fashion insider

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickadee View Post
Elizabeth was definitely a stand-out. I hear she's being hailed as the next Cate Blanchett. I don't know about that since I've only seen her in this, but she looked amazing and with very little to work with, she managed to make a big impression. We're not the only ones talking about her. Isla looked pretty, but she's got like one or two actual scenes, and she overacts in both of them. Both Isla and Carey are normally good actresses, so I think I'll chalk it up to Baz's direction. Elizabeth managed to transcend him or maybe he just wasn't as concerned with her as his two "stars" and this allowed her some leeway.
I think Elizabeth got Baz better than the leads did; she had fun with her role.

His films are over the top and I think the supporting characters need to ham it up a little. Carey's far too a natural actress for a Baz Luhrmann film. She was essentially a supporting character in my opinion and she was far too earnest.

22-05-2013
V.I.P.

I like the Nina Ricci outfit. She looks lovely.
If anything is making it look casual it's the hair.
Very beachy. Maybe up in a topknot would have been more glam.

23-05-2013
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobriquet87 View Post
Isla Fisher is also in the movie. There are quite a few women in the film actually. Carey and Elizabeth Debicki have the most screen time though.
I meant in the film Inside Llewyn Davis. I could only see men men men and then Carey. Hopefully no tokenism.

V.I.P.

Quote:
Carey Mulligan arrives at the Tiffany & Co Great Gatsby dinner at Rockpool on May 23, 2013 in Sydney, Australia.

carey-mulligan.com

backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by LolaSvelt View Post
Also, how tall is Elizabeth Debicki?
I've read somewhere that she's 6'3. Carey needs some color in her life!

V.I.P.

Quote:
At Sydney Airport on May 22, 2013.

popsugar.com.au

When in doubt, wear red.

Looking good once again at the Tiffany event. Also loved her outfit for the premiere, the bustier was gorgeous.

Saw Gatsby last week and I was very pleasantly surprised. I was a bit perplexed because of the reviews but it was actually really great. As for Carey her performance was indeed a bit awkward at times though I don't think any other actress from her generation could've played Daisy. Though she was definitely outshined by Elizabeth who's so magnetic on screen. Joel and Leo were fantastic too .

V.I.P.

Again black????
it's like the fifth time she is wearing this color in the past days! Come one, does she and her stylist know other colors?
the dress is super boring and plain, why did she have to change her stylist?

23-05-2013
V.I.P.

So tired of all the black dresses and this last one is particularly blah. The nina Ricci bustier and pants was her best look in awhile but she can do so much better.

23-05-2013
V.I.P.

Does she have the most original runway style? Maybe not, but she's looked utterly fantastic during all of her appearances, so I don't see what the deal is about her mostly black/white wardrobe is.

tfs star

Quote:
Originally Posted by girlyevil View Post
I actually quite enjoyed her performance in The Great Gatsby, I'm surprised she's getting such flack for it.

And yes, she has changed stylists. I believe she's with Rooney Mara and Mia Wasikowska's stylist Ryan Hastings.
Okay. That sort of makes sense. Rooney has been looking rather monotonous lately herself. Mia has had a lot of recent misses, too. I don't know much about him at all. Is he supposed to be really good? If he's been with Rooney since her GWTDT phase, then I commend him, because she did look pretty fab during that press junket. And if he's been with Mia the whole time, too, then yeah, because she has also pulled out some truly elegant looks since Alice in Wonderland.

Who did Carey switch from?

24-05-2013
rising star

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickadee View Post
Okay. That sort of makes sense. Rooney has been looking rather monotonous lately herself. Mia has had a lot of recent misses, too. I don't know much about him at all. Is he supposed to be really good? If he's been with Rooney since her GWTDT phase, then I commend him, because she did look pretty fab during that press junket. And if he's been with Mia the whole time, too, then yeah, because she has also pulled out some truly elegant looks since Alice in Wonderland.

Who did Carey switch from?
She had Samantha McMillen as a stylist who also does/did Evan Rachel Wood, Dakota & Elle Fanning & Dianna Agron.

24-05-2013
tfs star

Yikes, no wonder she switched.

fashion icon

It seems that Hasting's trademark is to drain all color from his clients wardrobes and reduce them to black & white with the occasional flash of red here-and-there. Pre-Hastings both Carey and Rooney wore color and prints. It seems like he's pulling Carey and Rooney's clothes from the same rack.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
carey, mulligan