How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Star Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

02-05-2014
front row

Sorry to say but I like the pink bag !

02-05-2014
backstage pass

I really like her current hair colour, it's a nice change. And I agree about the pictures on set, she looks really happy!

07-05-2014
V.I.P.

Quote:
Rehearsals begin today (6 May 2014) for Stephen Daldry’s production of David Hare’s Skylight. In a major West End revival of Hare’s Olivier award-winning play, Daldry directs Matthew Beard as Edward Sergeant, Carey Mulligan as Kyra Hollis and Bill Nighy as Tom Sergeant.

broadwayworld

09-05-2014
V.I.P.

^Great news Thanks for posting it Also, cute shirt on Carey

V.I.P.

Happy 29th birthday, Carey!

I found an outtake from W Magazine this year:

romantic-dystopia's tumblr

06-06-2014
V.I.P.

Quote:
Carey Mulligan poses for pictures with fans outside of her West End play Skylight on Wednesday (June 4) in London, England.

justjared

06-06-2014
backstage pass

Ooh, I'm going to be in London in a couple of weeks, so keen to book tickets!

08-06-2014
V.I.P.

^I think I'm going to get some tickets this week! Looks like she cut her hair again for the play? I was really liking the longer hair on her.
Quote:
Carey Mulligan keeps it serious while debuting in Stephen Daldry's West End revival of Skylight at Wyndhams Theatre on Friday (June 6) in London, England.

justjared

Quote:
US Vogue June 2014.

Quote:
Hare’s play is an extended meditation on what connects us—and what keeps us apart. Hair: Duffy for Vidal Sassoon; Makeup: Lauren Parsons. Produced by Kate Miller for North Six Europe. Set Design: David White for Streeters. Menswear Editor: Michael Philouze. Sittings Editor: Sara Moonves.

Photographed by Mikael Jansson, Vogue, June 2014

Bill Nighy, Carey Mulligan, and Matthew Beard star in a revival of David Hare’s heartrending (and hilarious) Skylight. In 1997, when David Hare was looking for someone to star in a British tour of his play Skylight, to take over a part originated at the National Theatre by Michael Gambon, the actor told him, “Go and get the handsome fellow who’s in all your work.” That fellow, of course, was Bill Nighy, whose creative relationship with Hare went back to the 1980 TV drama Dreams of Leaving and had continued onstage with A Map of the World and Pravda. Twig-framed and angular, Nighy bore no physical resemblance to the bearlike Gambon and had no interest in stepping into his estimable shoes as a high-flying capitalist brought low by loss and love. But Hare insisted, knowing that Nighy would put his own stamp on the role. “Bill plays a certain kind of male blitheness—a man who’s bewildered by women—absolutely beautifully,” Hare says. “That persona whereby he is both serious and self-satirical at the same time—you really have to go back to Cary Grant to get that quality.”

Now Nighy, who was a smash both on tour and on the West End, has agreed to revisit the role opposite the dazzling Carey Mulligan in a mouthwatering revival that opens this month in London at Wyndham’s Theatre under the direction of Stephen Daldry. Known more for political dramas of bold theatricality and epic scope, Hare turns here to the intimate story of Tom (Nighy), a recently widowed restaurant executive, who shows up at the dismal flat of his former mistress Kyra (Mulligan), who disappeared after Tom’s wife found out about the affair and has been living an austere existence ever since as a kind of penance. The result is an achingly sad—and uproariously funny—portrait of two people struggling to bridge the emotional and political chasm that divides them. Matthew Beard plays Tom’s son, whose scenes with Mulligan bookend the play and add a final note of hope.

Playing a character with what Nighy calls a “rich mix of apparently opposing forces” is squarely in the actor’s wheelhouse. “He’s what they call a self-made man, as if there were really any other kind, and his opinions are stridently held. Having been successful himself, he finds it perhaps difficult to understand others who aren’t. At the same time, he’s genuinely transported by love and is truly desolate at that loss.”

Mulligan has become best known for her soulful, richly detailed performances in such films as An Education and Inside Llewyn Davis. But she is also—as she showed in The Seagull and Through a Glass Darkly—one of the finest stage actresses of her generation. In the two years since Hare, who was taken by what he calls “the intensity of her portraiture,” first floated the idea of her playing Kyra, Mulligan has kept a copy of the play with her wherever she goes. “She’s such a great kind of stubborn, strong, witty person. I love her obstinacy, and underneath it all her vulnerability.”

Still, the real love story of Skylight may be the one between its author and male lead, whose collaboration has also included the play The Vertical Hour and the Johnny Worricker trilogy for BBC 2, featuring Nighy as an MI5 agent on the run. Ask either of them to describe the nature of their creative relationship and they will both mention similarities of worldview and working style, as well as an innate understanding of Hare’s morally complex antiheroes. Ultimately, though, it may have to do with something more elemental. “The fundamental bond that Bill and I have is a joy of making audiences laugh,” Hare says. Nighy puts it in even simpler terms: “He gives me wonderful roles to play, and I play them.”
vogue

09-06-2014
V.I.P.

^ I wish she'd kept the longer hair as well, it was such a lovely length on her. But she looks cute in those stills, how I'd love to see this play

backstage pass

I too am a bit bummed on the hair front, was really liking the length. Plus we barely got to see it long and brown. Oh well, she does look lovely at this Skylight event, Prada really suits her.

Quote:
Carey Mulligan poses for photos while attending the celebration following the press night performance of her play Skylight on Wednesday (June 18) at the Wyndham Theatre in London, England.
FYI: Carey is wearing a Prada dress and shoes.

justjared

19-06-2014
V.I.P.

The play is getting amazing reviews (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-27910195). She seems to be very careful when it comes to picking plays.

And the dress is so reminiscent of the quirky Prada frocks she wore when she first came onto the scene. Love it. But are mules going to making a comeback?!

bellazon

19-06-2014
When in doubt, wear red.

Love the Prada dress but hate the shoes. She look lovely though and I'm glad she's once again doing an amazing job on stage.

fashion elite

I'm seeing this on Saturday.

22-06-2014
fashion elite

Skylight was incredible and Carey was so good in it. Carey's character Kyra is incredibly still and almost a surveyor in the first act, a bit passive and reactionary to Bill Nighy's Tom but her performance builds in intensity and her little monologue in the second act is astonishing. There is so much conviction and earnestness in the monologue and I found myself wanting to clap. Bill Nighy is also equally as good. He, as Tom, manages to be funny, irritating, insecure, angry and at times sympathetic. He had us laughing one minute and then had us holding our breath the next. It's something that I would recommend everyone seeing.

On a purely superficial note, she looks about ten years younger than she is.

07-07-2014
V.I.P.

Fan photos:

Tumblr pages: milliondollarbaby87, gooneronthehill, thatflapperchic, no-more-silent-tears

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
carey, mulligan