How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Star Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

06-06-2011
V.I.P.

me too! Carey's getting back in the shape.

06-06-2011
V.I.P.

Love the latest look! head to toe!

06-06-2011
she had boys in her room

This is the Carey I love!

06-06-2011
V.I.P.

She looks SO cute in the latest candids!!

06-06-2011
front row

She's so stunning, can't wait to hear reviews of her play.

06-06-2011
V.I.P.

Awww!!! So cute!!

06-06-2011
windowshopping

does it work now?

06-06-2011
rising star

I love Carey! She is talented, adorable, and has such a unique style

06-06-2011
fashion elite

@Chic.adore, thank you so much yes it works! So cute!

07-06-2011
V.I.P.

it's a cute pic, but i hate her outfit (is it just me or, if we exclude the last 2 outfits, she tends to take upon/change her style depending of her boyfriends? when she dated shia she was minimal, when she dated eddie it was all about oxfords and pea coats and now it's all about totally hobo when she's with the mumford guy?).

07-06-2011
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by dajrekshn View Post
it's a cute pic, but i hate her outfit (is it just me or, if we exclude the last 2 outfits, she tends to take upon/change her style depending of her boyfriends? when she dated shia she was minimal, when she dated eddie it was all about oxfords and pea coats and now it's all about totally hobo when she's with the mumford guy?).
She's the new Brad Pitt.

07-06-2011
V.I.P.

Quote:
Actress Carey Mulligan attends the after party for the opening night of "Through A Glass Darkly" at the Chinatown Brasserie on June 6, 2011 in New York City.

Pretty dress, ugly shoes. She looks emotionally drained.

Also some from the play:

zimbio

Love her character's look. :p

Last edited by LolaSvelt; 07-06-2011 at 09:25 AM.

07-06-2011
V.I.P.

she really does look drained.
agreed about the dress and the shoes.

07-06-2011
V.I.P.

she looks really beautiful with the brown hair!

07-06-2011
V.I.P.

Raves for Carey!

Quote:
But the play belongs to Mulligan's Karin. Rarely still for long, she goes from bursts of manic activity to violent mood swings to catatonic spells and moments of exalted serenity. The performance is volatile yet restrained, poignantly underscored by a hopeless yearning to recreate the perfect family that exists only in her head. She weighs the damage she is causing to the people who love her against the spiritual release she intuits beyond the attic wall, and when her choice fails her, a crushing look of defeat clouds Mulligan's face.
- Hollywood Reporter

Quote:
One thing very clear is Mulligan, who has emerged as a gifted actress following her screen turn in "An Education" and her Broadway debut in "The Seagull." She is riveting here and pours herself into the role; after a recent performance, she was left shaken and raw.
- ABC
Quote:
But the spot that draws the eye -- and where Mulligan claims the acting high ground -- is the attic where Karin retreats to commune with the god she hears calling to her from behind the faded wallpaper.

The most interesting aspect of this remarkable performance is its clarity. Mulligan doesn't take Karin on a slow, graceful spiral into insanity. Rather, she splits herself into two distinct persona.
- Variety
Quote:
Charged with the admittedly difficult task of embodying Karin -- a child-woman whose mental state changes with the frequency of a light being turned on and off -- Mulligan is simply stunning. Her face appears to register every single emotion and thought in Karin's head; her body language is beautifully specific in each scene; and she consistently forges a separate, completely true connection with each of the men in her life. There's also a fearlessness and confidence in her choices that is truly praiseworthy.
- Theater Mania

Quote:
There are moments when this extraordinary actress behaves with an ugliness and ungainliness that people reserve for those moments when they’re sure they’re alone. On other occasions she is lovely and ingratiating company, at least on the surface. Karin, Ms. Mulligan’s character, is on vacation with the members of her family, and she wants more than anything for all of them to get along.

But as hard as she tries, Karin can’t stop feeling the pull of the shadow world inside her, a world that starts to seem more real than any external existence. Ms. Mulligan makes sure that we, too, feel that gravitational force, and it is not an easy sensation. But if you want to experience the shock of illumination that acting, at its best, can achieve — and only occasionally does — you need to see Ms. Mulligan’s performance.
----
Karin, you see, hears not only bird calls that no one else hears but also unheard melodies and words. We don’t even really need the whispering sound effects (by David Van Tieghem) that signal the arrival of Karin’s voices to be aware of the noises in her head. Every aspect of Ms. Mulligan’s body language vibrates with the tug of war within.
Watch her, if you dare, when Karin is alone in her bedroom, waiting for Martin, and transforms a series of simple stretches and jaw movements into a quiet but definitely high-stakes wrestling match with herself. Ms. Mulligan’s elfin beauty becomes a changeling’s grotesqueness at such moments.

And though she appears partly nude a couple of times, the nakedness that shocks here is of another, far more intimate kind. Ms. Mulligan convinces us that we are seeing through Karin’s very skin. Such vision is a rare and frightening privilege afforded only by acting of the highest order.
- New York Times, reviewer is practically creaming himself over Mulligan!

NY Times also had some new pictures of her in the play:

More pictures here (can't seem to upload them): http://www.nytimes.com/slideshow/201...07-darkly.html

nytimes

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2010, 2011, carey, mulligan, november, september