How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Star Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

04-09-2011
rising star

It is definitely not like any role she has played before! So knowing that alone makes me wish this film was coming out right now. But it will be worth the wait.

04-09-2011
trendsetter

Carey Mulligan to star in new Nicolas Winding Refn project
Quote:
Carey Mulligan will once again work with Drive director Nicolas Winding Refn on 'sex thriller' I Walk With The Dead, according to The Hollywood Reporter (via The Playlist).

The movie apparently has financing in place, and will shoot after the prolific Danish auteur's next, Only God Forgives, a Thai boxing flick with Ryan Gosling.

Winding Refn is also developing a remake of Logan's Run with Gosling.

I Walk With The Dead is dubbed a 'sex thriller,' but little is known about it in terms of plot. In an interview with The Playlist from a couple of years back, Winding Refn said, "I’ve always wanted to make a movie with lots of sex.

"So I wrote this story called I Walk With the Dead and it takes place in Miami and it’s just going to have a lot of sex in it. I have two films that are getting made with French investors and one is Only God Forgives and one is I Walk With the Dead."

As Mulligan is still best known for good-girl roles in An Education, Wall Street: Money Never Sleeps and Never Let Me Go, this sounds like an opportunity for her to shed that image.

Mulligan is currently shooting Baz Luhrmann's The Great Gatsby, and she has also completed work on Steve McQueen's Hunger follow-up, Shame.

Drive opens in the UK on 23 September 2011.
TotalFilm.com

04-09-2011
V.I.P.

"I’ve always wanted to make a movie with lots of sex."

04-09-2011
V.I.P.

More reviews!
Quote:
Sporting a short, bleached-blond hairdo and often clad in vintage garments that clash with David Robinson's otherwise gray, toned-down costumes, Mulligan energizes the picture with a spirited, sassy turn that at one point also requires her to bare herself for the camera. Her character's musical solo midway through the film, filmed almost entirely in a single closeup, is one of many exquisite interludes that give this tough-minded picture a soul.
- Variety

Quote:
Michael Fassbender and Carey Mulligan give dynamite performances in Shame, a terrific second feature from the British artist Steve McQueen. Fassbender is Brandon, a sex-addicted corporate drone, directing a radioactive stare at random women across the aisle on the New York subway. Mulligan plays Sissy, his sister, who sings for her supper, self-harms for kicks and is surely pointed towards disaster. "We're not bad people," Sissy assures her sibling. "We just come from a bad place."
- The Guardian
Quote:
Exposing herself emotionally and physically as she never has before, Mulligan is terrific in this unexpected role of a deeply wounded and troubled soul.
- The Hollywood Reporter

Quote:
Mulligan, who’s superb, giving a performance on the level of her previously acclaimed work, is equally damaged: desperately needy and dying for her brother to connect with her, seemingly unaware that the very sight of her has sent him into a tailspin. If that makes it sound as if the performance is a grim one, it’s anything but; the “An Education" star is as loose and lively as she’s ever been, aided by a Holly Golightly-esque wardrobe. Plus, the girl can really sing, her downtempo performance of “New York New York,” which moves her brother to tears, being one of the film’s highlights. That moment in particular shows how inextricably the two are linked, and they’re wonderful together, portraying a deeply complex sibling relationship that might be the only thing they have to cling to; as Sissy says near the close: “We’re not bad people. We just come from a bad place.”
- The Playlist

Quote:
It is Sissy’s unannounced arrival that takes Brandon’s conventional crisis of depravity into blurrier, more dramatically involving territory: played by Mulligan with a blend of her expected baby-woman fragility and a harder, drawling insouciance that’s excitingly new from the actress, Sissy colonizes Brandon’s white-cube bachelor pad and calls him out on his indulgences, though her life is less gathered than his: her arms marked with a lithograph of self-harm scars, drifting between boyfriends with only some proudly vintage clothes to call her own, she demands Brandon’s care with a fervor that professes the need to preserve family ties and fabricate balance — what has happened their parents is never explained, but it’s clear they’re vulnerably alone in their bloodline — but occasionally threatens to subvert them. When she climbs into her brother’s bed, the fury with which he ejects her hints at realms of desire he either fears or has already broached.
- In Contention

Quote:
The arrival of his sister, played with real resonance by Carey Mulligan, turns his world upside down, but his addiction grows stronger.
What Culture

Can't wait to see hear her sing again.

04-09-2011
front row

I want to watch a trailer. The movie sounds really good!

04-09-2011
tfs star

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatriz View Post
I want to watch a trailer. The movie sounds really good!
I know! I want to see the trailer too. The role seems like a departure for her compared to her other one's. Also the new part in the Nicolas Winding Refn film seems very different too. Can't wait to find out more about the plot and her character.

04-09-2011
I don't know

Thanks for the review recap! I can't wait to see this, I feel like this girl can pull off just about anything.

04-09-2011
rising star

She definitely can. She's so versatile. A true actress, really.

05-09-2011
V.I.P.

Omg, seems Shame got the best reviews so far no? I'm having a hunch she's going for another nom with this.. so good...

06-09-2011
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickadee View Post
Well, is it not warm? Is it cold? Because everybody's wearing shorts and a t-shirt, not a sweater and jeans. I've never been to Australia, so I don't know. But generally, when you go to the beach, you plan to get into the water, hence the bikini or bathing suit of some kind. I just don't like the outfit. It looks more like she's going to the gym or a basketball game than the beach.
No it's not that warm, we are just coming out of winter. And I don't know how it is where you live, but at Bondi, people go to the beach all the time not just to swim, but to work out, take a walk, grab a bite, hang out, whatever. The beach is the centre of Bondi life. There are people who flaunt themselves but it's also perfectly acceptable to be casual- especially when you have just been exercising, which it looks like she probably has. I am glad she is dressing down- it shows how down to earth and unconcerned with her image she is. If she was fully made up and parading in a bikini in 20 degree weather I wouldn't like her as much as I do.

06-09-2011
fashion elite

Thank you so much for the reviews for "Shame" so great to hear that its another fantastic performance from Carey, cannot wait to see the movie.

18-09-2011
rising star

A photo of Carey I've never seen before!

dangerousbambina.tumblr.com

18-09-2011
V.I.P.

such a cutie! love that pic! thank you!

18-09-2011
trendsetter

She has such a great smile! Love it!!!

18-09-2011
tfs star

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyduck View Post
She has such a great smile! Love it!!!
She really does have a great smile I must say her arms look very toned in that pic.

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2010, 2011, carey, mulligan, november, september