How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Star Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

16-01-2012
V.I.P.

Cont.
Quote:
She had expected the film to be shown in small arthouse cinemas, had no idea it would even be distributed in the US, so when her Oscar nomination was announced she was shocked. "I was like a rabbit in the headlights, and went through the whole awards season hiding behind Colin Firth," who was nominated for best actor for A Single Man. The two actors share a publicist, and they would go to events together, "and I'd be like," – she clenches her teeth – "'I don't want to meet anyone famous,' and he'd say: 'You don't have to.' Him and his wife looked after me.

"We went to a party once, full of industry people, and went into the corner and were basically the only two British people there. We created a circle of hostility, so no one would try and talk to us, and we didn't have to talk to anyone. There were five of us, all cowering, and we drank our wine, and would occasionally stare out intimidatingly, to keep people away. Not because people were clawing to talk to me," she adds quickly, "although they were probably clawing to talk to Colin – but it's very strange. I felt like the person who had accidentally been invited to the party."

She won't talk about her private life – when I ask whether she's engaged to the musician Marcus Mumford, as has been reported, she says: "I'm not going to answer that!" and then mock-screams and says she finds it odd being written about. "I really try not to read anything [online], and then occasionally I will be completely self-destructive, once every six months, and it's really horrible. Sometimes people write the most ghastly things, and it makes you feel like crap ... A while ago I read some stuff, and it was tonnes of people, all saying I wasn't beautiful enough to be an actress. And I thought, well," she sounds crestfallen, "that's not what you're meant to be. I've never aspired to play a character that was beautiful."

The closest exception, she admits, is the wealthy, rarefied Daisy Buchanan in The Great Gatsby – a role she's been filming in Sydney with co-star Leonardo DiCaprio and director Baz Luhrmann. She was at an event when she found out she'd landed the role; Luhrmann's wife, Catherine Martin, was there, handed her the phone, and, "It was Baz," says Mulligan, "and he was going," she puts on a deep Australian accent, "'Hello Daisy'. And I was crying, and people were milling around, and I was sobbing and couldn't talk." She says she's been freaking out every day of filming, because "it's so tricky to make sure she doesn't become one-noted, or too emotional. I'm balancing it all, and terrified of messing it up."

The role looks likely to push her to another level of fame, into another strange bubble. Does she want to disappear into her roles? "I can walk down the street and nobody ever recognises me," she says, "so I'm pleased to be in that category of disappearing into things. Sometimes someone will come up and say, 'Are you Auntie Suzie's girl?' because they think I'm related to them. And I can just say no, and walk away."
theguardian

17-01-2012
V.I.P.

BAFTA nomination.
Quote:
Supporting Actress

Carey Mulligan (Irene) – Drive
Jessica Chastain (Celia Foote) – The Help
Judi Dench (Dame Sybil Thorndike) – My Week with Marilyn
Melissa McCarthy (Megan) – Bridesmaids
Octavia Spencer (Minny Jackson) – The Help
She was eligible for Shame in the lead category, so it seems like they decided to nominate her for Drive because she couldn't stand a chance in the other category!

17-01-2012
V.I.P.

Congrats Carey:p
I just can't believe that actress from Bridesmaid is getting nominated...really? the movie sucked and her performance was nothing special

17-01-2012
V.I.P.

Yeah, I really don't get that. It's just too packed to nominate the chick who crapped in a sink.

17-01-2012
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by LolaSvelt View Post
She was eligible for Shame in the lead category, so it seems like they decided to nominate her for Drive because she couldn't stand a chance in the other category!
Seriously? In the lead category? It was clearly a supporting role in Shame...

17-01-2012
When in doubt, wear red.

I'm glad she's nominated but putting her for the lead in Shame is the dumbest thing ever. Yes her character is in a certain way making the film but the movie is clearly about Michael.
They decided to go for Berenice Bejo as a lead as well, but for me her character is in the same situation as Carey's in Shame.
They clearly ruined her chance. She was great in Drive but she was outstanding in Shame and definitely had a better chance to win with it. Her nomination for Drive is just a way to salute her work but it isn't really significant.

17-01-2012
backstage pass

CONGRATS to Carey!

17-01-2012
fashion insider

I can't wait to see what she'll wear.

17-01-2012
trendsetter

That nom is kind of ridiculous. Carey herself has admitted she did next to nothing in Drive. They really screwed up there.

17-01-2012
V.I.P.

She was nominated for Drive? WTF?! I hope she got another nomination for Shame then.

17-01-2012
tfs star

How in the world...her character in Drive did nothing but smile pretty and ac completely clueless. Why would she get nominated for that instead of Shame? Particularly when Shame is the British-made film with the juicier performance? Oh well. At least she'll show up hopefully and we'll se what she wears.

17-01-2012
V.I.P.

^As I said, she made the longlist for Shame in the lead category, not supporting. I guess the felt that they wanted to reward her performance in Shame somehow.

Last edited by LolaSvelt; 17-01-2012 at 02:06 PM.

17-01-2012
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolkfolk View Post
I'm glad she's nominated but putting her for the lead in Shame is the dumbest thing ever. Yes her character is in a certain way making the film but the movie is clearly about Michael.
They decided to go for Berenice Bejo as a lead as well, but for me her character is in the same situation as Carey's in Shame.
They clearly ruined her chance. She was great in Drive but she was outstanding in Shame and definitely had a better chance to win with it. Her nomination for Drive is just a way to salute her work but it isn't really significant.
I totally agree with you! And I really don't understant why everybody is ignoring her performance that is as powerful and strong as Michael's imo.

18-01-2012
fashion elite

Chiara I so agree with you, Carrey was outstanding in "SHame" but the studio seems to be only campaigning for Fassbender, so unfair!

19-01-2012
trendsetter

London Film Critics' Circle Awards 2012

zimbio

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2011, 2013, carey, mulligan, september