How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Star Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

15-03-2012
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
^ Is it surprising that she dresses more conservatively when she is at an official function with The Queen or The Prince Of Wales? Sounds appropriate, no?
One can dress conservatively and not look frumpy. I think she looked awesome the entire Canadian/US tour last year and she was modestly dressed then. And, frankly, I don't even think a Hollywood starlet could make that grey dress not look mumsy. It's for someone much older than Kate. Like the Queen.

15-03-2012
V.I.P.

I don't understand how people can find the grey dress frumpy and yet find the outfit at Fortnum and Mason and all the other dress coats stylish (and that ill-fitting peplum outfit ick) when those looks are almost exclusively worn by more mature ladies. At least the grey dress has stylish elements with the pleat and the little bow at the front

15-03-2012
backstage pass

The Pucci blazer, salmon skinny jeans outfit is fantastic.

15-03-2012
fashion icon

I have to say the photo's of Kate and Charles are priceless... I love seeing them do art projects and ironing! Not a side of the royal family we get to see that often! To be honest, I don't think the grey dress is that frumpy. It's a bit conservative but it's still figure flattering on Kate. And anyways, I think as a member of the royal family, people expect her to dress more conservatively. I mean, who want's to see a future queen dressing provocatively? That just wouldn't do.

Last edited by YoninahAliza; 15-03-2012 at 10:04 PM.

15-03-2012
V.I.P.

^ Very true...and we'll always have the white bikini pics from 2006!!

16-03-2012
backstage pass

I really like he recent outfits. She finally wore something fun & age appropriate with the orange jeans & while I don't love the Orla Kiely, it's not particularly ugly.

16-03-2012
V.I.P.

Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge pays a visit to the Dulwich Picture Gallery on Thursday (March 15) in London, England.

justjared

16-03-2012
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoninahAliza View Post
I have to say the photo's of Kate and Charles are priceless... I love seeing them do art projects and ironing! Not a side of the royal family we get to see that often! To be honest, I don't think the grey dress is that frumpy. It's a bit conservative but it's still figure flattering on Kate. And anyways, I think as a member of the royal family, people expect her to dress more conservatively. I mean, who want's to see a future queen dressing provocatively? That just wouldn't do.
Who said anything about dressing provocatively? Letizia of Spain, Rainia of Jordan, and Mary of Denmark also wear modest clothes. The difference is, they don't look frumpy. Their clothes are age-appropriate.

And quite frankly Caroline of Hanover nee Monaco was quite the little rebel in her youth/early adulthood and nobody thinks the less of her for once going topless on the beach and once wearing revealing clothes. What do people talk about now? Her charity work, her successfully navigating Monaco through the loss of Princess Grace and Stephano Casiraghi. The late Princess Diana also wore provocative clothes the last few years of her life, but what is she remembered for? Her work with charities, specifically landmines and the gown auction.

If the palace has nothing better to do than censor Kate wearing miniskirts or low cut clothing, they need to chuck the monarchy altogether. You can wear sexy clothes and not look like a streetwalker. And you can royal and dress provocatively without looking like a prostitute.

16-03-2012
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by wild roses View Post
Who said anything about dressing provocatively? Letizia of Spain, Rainia of Jordan, and Mary of Denmark also wear modest clothes. The difference is, they don't look frumpy. Their clothes are age-appropriate.
I agree - the Duchess ought to take note.

16-03-2012
front row

Quote:
If the palace has nothing better to do than censor Kate wearing miniskirts or low cut clothing, they need to chuck the monarchy altogether. You can wear sexy clothes and not look like a streetwalker. And you can royal and dress provocatively without looking like a prostitute.
I don't think the palace is yay-ing or nay-ing her clothes. This is how she's always dressed -- if anything she self censors.

16-03-2012
V.I.P.

[QUOTE=wild roses;10480363]Who said anything about dressing provocatively? Letizia of Spain, Rainia of Jordan, and Mary of Denmark also wear modest clothes. The difference is, they don't look frumpy. Their clothes are age-appropriate.

I wouldn't put Letizia in that list! In my opinion she is the princess with more lack of style of all and she looks boring in every event!
I think that Kate wears age-appropriate clothes, she always looks classic and elegant! The main problem with her are the colors...she mostly wears brown, grey, blue...and those colors make her look a bit older. Some color would help

16-03-2012
fashion icon

Well, I guess I have a different idea of what is considered frumpy then other people. Because I honestly don't see how the grey Orla Kiely dress is frumpy (but maybe that's just because I tend to like this brand).

And I'm sorry if anyone was offended by my comments about Kate not dressing provocatively. But anyways, I don't think she'd ever want to dress that way to begin with. Like Sebastiana said, I think Kate self censors her wardrobe. I'm sure it isn't easy to be in the spotlight all the time but I think by nature she dresses more conservatively too. I believe that part of the reason why Kate stands out from other members of royalty who dress more conservatively too, women like Queen Rania and Princess Caroline, is because she's a bit younger then them yet she tends to dress modestly. And in some ways it's unusual to see a younger women who's in the spotlight dress this way. Which is why Kate probably get's flack for her style. But that's just my thoughts on it.

Last edited by YoninahAliza; 16-03-2012 at 03:40 PM.

16-03-2012
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoninahAliza View Post
And I'm sorry if anyone was offended by my comments about Kate not dressing provocatively. But anyways, I don't think she'd ever want to dress that way to begin with. Like, Sebastiana said, I think Kate self censors her wardrobe. I'm sure it isn't easy to be in the spotlight all the time but I think by nature she dresses more conservatively too. I believe that part of the reason why Kate stands out from other members of royalty, like Queen Rania and Princess Caroline, is because she's a bit younger then them yet she tends to dress modestly. And in some ways it's unusual to see a younger women who's in the spotlight dress this way. Which is why Kate probably get's flack for her style. But that's just my thoughts on it.
I wasn't offended by your comments, just disagreeing with them. I bolded the above bit because I think you hit the nail on the head.

I should add, despite my critiques of Kate's, I don't want her dressing like Blake Lively, the Kardashian sisters, or the Jersey Shore women. I like that Kate's style reflects an older era (Audrey, Grace, etc), but she doesn't always choose clothes wisely. (But I do think her style is improving and that she'll grow into it.)

17-03-2012
V.I.P.

Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge (aka Kate Middleton) shows her St. Patrick's Day pride at a parade held at Mons Barracks on Saturday (March 17) in Aldershot, England

justjared

17-03-2012
tfs star

Oh goodness, I'm not loving the green and brown combo...

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2011, 2012, cambridge, catherine, december, duchess, june, kate, middleton