How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Star Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
20-03-2012
  631
front row
 
Nymphette's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Gender: femme
Posts: 407
Looks like she enjoyed her shopping trip! I like the scarf.

 
 
21-03-2012
  632
front row
 
Sebastiana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by wild roses View Post
Chiming in a tad late. I think it's adorable that she still shares clothes with her mother. Cuz we all know her clothing budget is probably way up there, if not unlimited. It makes seem more normal. That she hasn't forgotten her background.
Actually, there was a story a couple weeks ago about how William's staff feels Catherine's clothing budget is too small relative to her prominence. (Catherine's clothes are paid for by the Prince of Wales through the Duchy of Cornwall.) http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/ar...ect-Royal.html

Who knows if it's true -- it is in the Daily Mail and the writer is a member of the anti-Camilla camp. I just thought it was interesting given that Catherine does tend to wear more high street/more accessible brands than most other princesses.


Last edited by Sebastiana; 21-03-2012 at 09:30 AM.
 
21-03-2012
  633
V.I.P.
 
liberty33r1b's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Manchester, UK
Gender: femme
Posts: 23,094
I would imagine that designers are sending her clothes for free, given her high profile and selling power. they do it with other celebrities, so why not her? it's a huge boost for any brand/designer whenever she's seen wearing their clothes....

__________________
"he waited for other people to understand what he was doing, instead of doing what they wanted.
Balenciaga never compromised."
 
21-03-2012
  634
tfs star
 
glitterpeacock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Manchester
Gender: femme
Posts: 1,766
^ They sent her clothes even before she married William, too. I remember reading something about Matthew Williamson sending her a jacket and the palace told her she had to send it back... it would explain why he never has anything nice to say about her

__________________
I don't wanna be nice. I think it's clever to swear
 
21-03-2012
  635
front row
 
Sebastiana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 240
^ The royals don't accept any free clothes, apparently. I think it's supposed to be a way of differentiating themselves from other celebrities.

I did read about some brand (might have been McQueen?) sending her things; she picked out what she liked, paid full retail for it and sent everything else back.

 
21-03-2012
  636
tfs star
 
glitterpeacock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Manchester
Gender: femme
Posts: 1,766
That makes sense. It would be a shame to see Kate flaunting items designers sent her like Pippa did with those Modalu bags.

__________________
I don't wanna be nice. I think it's clever to swear
 
21-03-2012
  637
windowshopping
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Gender: femme
Posts: 36
Quote:
^ The royals don't accept any free clothes, apparently. I think it's supposed to be a way of differentiating themselves from other celebrities.

I did read about some brand (might have been McQueen?) sending her things; she picked out what she liked, paid full retail for it and sent everything else back.
I thought I read somewhere that she pays a "discounted" price. She doesn't get it for free, but she doesn't pay full prize. I think Michelle Obama has the same deal.

Similar to this, didn't Kate get a discount on her Audi through William as well?

 
21-03-2012
  638
V.I.P.
 
Boomer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Caught between the moon and New York City
Gender: homme
Posts: 22,356
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebastiana View Post
Actually, there was a story a couple weeks ago about how William's staff feels Catherine's clothing budget is too small relative to her prominence. (Catherine's clothes are paid for by the Prince of Wales through the Duchy of Cornwall.)
Yes, no doubt they are really strapped for cash!!

 
22-03-2012
  639
windowshopping
 
Aquitaine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Gender: femme
Posts: 24
http://www.getwhatkatewore.com/kate-...from-austique/

Quote:
A few days after I returned home from London, my boyfriend was sent to London for work. I asked him to stop by Austique to buy the dress for me (I had been on the fence about it when I was there and decided not to buy it in the spur of the moment when I was in the shop) and confirm the information I was given. He spoke to two different sales ladies who both confirmed that Kate Middleton had the dress. However, while I had been told Kate purchased the dress, the superior of the store corrected my boyfriend and said that the dress had been a gift to Kate Middleton from the designer, Stacey Bendet, of Alice + Olivia. This sale woman said that Kate Middleton had come into Austique to try the dress on and then left with it and some other items.
Quote:
UPDATE: According to an email I received from Austique today, Kate bought the Eden Embellished Blouson Dress by Alice + Olivia and according to her, “Kate does not accept gifts.” This is their official position on the situation with the dress.

 
22-03-2012
  640
trendsetter
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Sandusky
Gender: femme
Posts: 1,228
Yeah, they're definitely not allowed to accept free clothes. Unless it's a diplomatic gift. (Like when Diana got that orange kimono which she famously put over her white and red-polka-dotted day dress when she went to Japan on an official tour in the 1980s). And all royals have a clothing budget.

I suppose if they are limiting Kate's clothing budget it's because they don't want her turning into a clotheshorse.

 
22-03-2012
  641
V.I.P.
 
lucy92's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Gender: femme
Posts: 12,150
Quote:
Originally Posted by wild roses View Post

I suppose if they are limiting Kate's clothing budget it's because they don't want her turning into a clotheshorse.
no, they may be trying to limit the clothing budget as it may cut into transportation or other costs (ie. private jets etc) the duchy or cornwall in turn gets reimbursed by the Queen for costs incurred during official duties. and of course the queen is supported by taxpapers (ie through the civil list).

so in essence, taxpayers may be footing the bill for kate's clothing costs.

__________________
Large Avatars for Everyone!
 
22-03-2012
  642
V.I.P.
 
MulletProof's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Gender: femme
Posts: 24,715
A little late here but I only watched her speech last night and .. I don't find anything wrong about the dress really, I think the color/shape works on her and it's safe enough for her duties, I always associated British royalty with visual insult (unfortunate-looking people with no taste whatsoever) so the fact that you can endure watching her is quite something. That said, HER SPEECH .. is she/her team serious? don't these people get at least some 5 minutes to rehearse what they're going to say? I can't believe they let her speak like this: "I.. *looks down to read*.. am grateful... *looks down to read*.. for.. *looks down to read*... being... *looks down to read*.. here.. *looks down to read* when.. *looks down to read*.. I was.. *looks down to read*.. coming here.. *looks down to read*.. I.. *looks down to read* didn't expect.. ".

Forget about clothing choices, whoever's behind the organization of that speech should be fired!, and someone's gotta teach her how to improvise really.

Back to the dress though, I cracked up at someone here saying her mother looked better in it.. come on, you can even see the woman's nipples.

__________________
Metal teeth of carousels.
 
22-03-2012
  643
V.I.P.
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Gender: femme
Posts: 22,694
^ The speech was truly shocking, cant believe anyone would think that is a good first time speech, but i do disagree about the dress, it looked awful on her mother, and it looked awful on her.

 
22-03-2012
  644
V.I.P.
 
Ashcottmanor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Here and there...
Gender: femme
Posts: 6,391
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Dalloway View Post
but i do disagree about the dress, it looked awful on her mother, and it looked awful on her.
Amen.

__________________
"Ain't nobody got time for that!"
 
22-03-2012
  645
V.I.P.
 
liberty33r1b's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Manchester, UK
Gender: femme
Posts: 23,094
Quote:
Originally Posted by MulletProof View Post
A little late here but I only watched her speech last night and .. I don't find anything wrong about the dress really, I think the color/shape works on her and it's safe enough for her duties, I always associated British royalty with visual insult (unfortunate-looking people with no taste whatsoever) so the fact that you can endure watching her is quite something. That said, HER SPEECH .. is she/her team serious? don't these people get at least some 5 minutes to rehearse what they're going to say? I can't believe they let her speak like this: "I.. *looks down to read*.. am grateful... *looks down to read*.. for.. *looks down to read*... being... *looks down to read*.. here.. *looks down to read* when.. *looks down to read*.. I was.. *looks down to read*.. coming here.. *looks down to read*.. I.. *looks down to read* didn't expect.. ".

Forget about clothing choices, whoever's behind the organization of that speech should be fired!, and someone's gotta teach her how to improvise really.

Back to the dress though, I cracked up at someone here saying her mother looked better in it.. come on, you can even see the woman's nipples.
that speech was really something, I was shocked too. most ridiculous was her looking down to read "thanks", it didn't seem sincere at all each time she said it....

__________________
"he waited for other people to understand what he was doing, instead of doing what they wanted.
Balenciaga never compromised."
 
Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2011, 2012, cambridge, catherine, december, duchess, june, kate, middleton
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"


 
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:51 PM.
Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
TheFashionSpot.com is a property of TotallyHer Media, LLC, an Evolve Media LLC company. ©2014 All rights reserved.