How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Star Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

25-03-2012
tfs star

From hello:
To give her first solo speech as a royal in March, the Duchess of Cambridge chose a blue Reiss dress – the same outfit Carole wore for Royal Ascot in 2010

A Collette Dinnigan red lace dress that Carole first showed off two years previously

Pippa debuted this Wilbur & Gussie gold clutch bag to a ball in November.

And Kate was spotted carrying it to the 10 Women in Hedge Funds gala just one week later

The Jane Corbett fascinator that Kate wore for a friend’s wedding in 2009 was borrowed by Carole a year later for Royal Ascot

To christen a lifeboat on Anglesey last February, Kate chose a Katherine Hooker coat – the same one Pippa wore to a friend's December 2011 nuptials in Suffolk

The trio of brunettes love nude shoes

Kate attended the Cheltenham Gold Cup event in 2006, turning heads in a fur hat raided from Carole's wardrobe

The girls clearly follow in their mother's sartorial footsteps

The white dress and camel leather jacket are both items that Pippa has been spotted out and about wearing too

26-03-2012
backstage pass

The Katherine Hooker coat definitely isn't the same one. The sleeves and pockets on Pippa's are a shiny material, while Kate's are brown.

26-03-2012
backstage pass

^ I noticed that, too. I just think these three tend to have similar tastes, so much of their choices are the same or close to each other.

26-03-2012
front row

I think they borrow or are influenced by each others choices, many sisters mothers are.

26-03-2012
V.I.P.

^ Exactly. I really don't understand why this is an issue with some people.

Look at all the teen girls in their cut off jean shorts. They all look the same. So boring.

27-03-2012
V.I.P.

The problem is for me, is that Carole Middleton doesn't have great style. It would be one thing if her mother was Stella McCartney or dressed really good and had access to excellent pieces but borrowing clothes like these from your mother should never happen. They should stay with her mother, not be on Kate.

27-03-2012
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashcottmanor View Post
The problem is for me, is that Carole Middleton doesn't have great style. It would be one thing if her mother was Stella McCartney or dressed really good and had access to excellent pieces but borrowing clothes like these from your mother should never happen. They should stay with her mother, not be on Kate.
well said:p

27-03-2012
trendsetter

Quote:
So, basically, you should only borrow clothes from your mother or sister if said person is connected to the fashion world? That's a bit snooty. Yeah, Carole dresses frumpily, but while both she and Kate could dress better, I find the above remark a bit ridiculous. Everybody borrows clothes from their parents or siblings.

I think this is one of those weird situations where Kate is damned if she does and damned if she doesn't. If Kate took to wearing only "excellent pieces," people would say she's thumbing her nose at her background (like the accent talk on recent pages). I don't even like Kate's fashion half-the-time, but critiquing her for doing what nearly everybody does, whether famous or obscure, celebrity or normal, is just plain silly.

28-03-2012
front row

Some folks are more fashion/edgey, some like to just look nice or what they think is nice, she seems close with her mom and sister and they tend to share some clothes and accessories.

28-03-2012
V.I.P.

"It would be one thing if her mother was Stella McCartney or dressed really good and had access to excellent pieces"
I took this to mean : It would be one thing if your mother was stylish and dressed well i.e. like Stella McCartney who I guess the OP sees as stylish but another thing if your mother was frumpy. Nothing snobby about that, it was just a subjective example of stylish

28-03-2012
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wild roses View Post
So, basically, you should only borrow clothes from your mother or sister if said person is connected to the fashion world? That's a bit snooty. Yeah, Carole dresses frumpily, but while both she and Kate could dress better, I find the above remark a bit ridiculous. Everybody borrows clothes from their parents or siblings.

I think this is one of those weird situations where Kate is damned if she does and damned if she doesn't. If Kate took to wearing only "excellent pieces," people would say she's thumbing her nose at her background (like the accent talk on recent pages). I don't even like Kate's fashion half-the-time, but critiquing her for doing what nearly everybody does, whether famous or obscure, celebrity or normal, is just plain silly.
I don't think it's snooty at all. The basic fact is that Carole style fits a late 50 year old woman who maybe has a little knowledge about clothing. Kate is a 30 year old woman who doesn't need to be wearing her mother's clothes, just because they fit. She has access to the best out there and wearing her mother's frumpy clothing is just laughable.

And not EVERYBODY borrows clothes from their mother's and sister's. I certainly don't because we all have different tastes and are different individuals. I don't care if Kate recycles HER clothes and wears pieces more than once but when you recycle frumpy, outdated, family clothing I think it looks bad and I'll say so.

29-03-2012
backstage pass

trueroyals.tumblr.com
On holiday

30-03-2012
front row

I like the matching red ski pants!

01-04-2012
God Save McQueen

Quote:
I agree. I don't know a single young woman who would want to dress like a dowdy 60 year old. Carole's clothing suits her because it is age appropriate to her.

02-04-2012
front row

I think she likes her country wear and her city wear.

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2011, 2012, cambridge, catherine, december, duchess, june, kate, middleton