How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Star Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

01-05-2012
trendsetter

LOL! at the article's assertion that there is something wrong with wearing "appropriate" clothing. Kate dresses modestly, but it's not like she wears buttoned-up-to-there high necked collar shirts, and well below the knee skirts. (And I don't think any of us would want her to.)

01-05-2012
V.I.P.

The hair-do Kate sported at an event at London’s Imperial War Museum on Thursday will undoubtedly become a High Street hit, but how easy is it to recreate? Here, Marcio Oliveira, a senior stylist at Jo Hansford’s celebrated Mayfair salon, shows the Mail’s CLAIRE COLEMAN how it’s done . . .

1. Blow-dry 2. Tong the ends

After shampooing, rinse really well, because unless the hair is very clean, you won’t get the same bounce and shine as Kate. Smooth through a little lightweight oil (I used Illuminoil, £29, johansford.com) to give a bit of gloss. Divide the hair into sections and blow dry from the bottom up. To create volume, use a large barrelled bristle brush under each section and pull the hair up. For the ends, use a medium barrelled brush as you dry.

To give definition and movement to the hair, use a pair of tongs to create curls at the end.
Take large sections (around six altogether) and wrap the final two inches of hair around the tongs and hold for a few seconds. Vary the direction that you wrap the hair so that the curls go in different directions.
Tonging the hair now, rather than after you’ve pinned it, makes it easier to pin, because the hair is already forming the shape you need.

Kate’s do has quite a bit of volume in the centre. To get this look, you need to gently backcomb the hair. Work from the front, taking sections half-an-inch thick and no wider than your comb, and use three strokes of a comb on the inch closest to the scalp, brushing towards the root. This gives volume at the base while leaving the ends smooth and glossy, and means pins will stay in place. Work from the front to behind the crown, using hairspray to keep in place. Then smooth the hair back off the face and spray.

Take a section of the hair from one side of the head and pull it back, pinning it in place with a Kirby grip. Then twist that lock of hair and pin it again with another grip.
Repeat on the other side. Spray to hold.
It’s not a bun, it’s just that Kate’s hair is so long and thick that it stands proud of the head and looks like one.
- Jo Hansford, 48 South Audley Street, London, W1K 2QB; johansford.com; 020 7495 7774 (dailymail.co.uk)

01-05-2012
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by wild roses View Post
LOL! at the article's assertion that there is something wrong with wearing "appropriate" clothing. Kate dresses modestly, but it's not like she wears buttoned-up-to-there high necked collar shirts, and well below the knee skirts. (And I don't think any of us would want her to.)
I completely agree, Vanessa. Erring on the side of caution with clothing may not be exciting but it's never truly a mistake either. I don't think anyone looks back and goes "I was TOO approprately dressed that time." And it's not like Kate's appropriateness stops all the rest of us from talking about what she's wearing every time she goes out!

01-05-2012
Looking Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacroix View Post
I wasn't aware there was no middle ground.
Yeah I was being sarcastic. But you're absolutely right, a middle ground between the two would be great. Just saying that this writer shouldn't be dissing "appropriate" when the current fashion can be so vulgar and degrading.

01-05-2012
V.I.P.

I detected the overriding sarcasm of course. But that's what a lot of people seem to say whenever people comment that they dislike Kate's style either because she dresses beyond her years/ is too conservative etc. The discussion has been had many times over in this and her old threads I suppose. The response is usually in the theme of: at least she's not dressing like a Kardashian or whatever else. My view of Kate's style is that on anyone else, it would probably not be considered stylish especially considering her age. I think the majority of her outfits are unstylish and/or frumpy and almost always bland. But it's not like I think she needs to be decked out in designer clothes or look like a fashion victim either.

Last edited by Lacroix; 01-05-2012 at 07:43 PM.

02-05-2012
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wild roses View Post
^Yes!! They are looking maybe for Miley Cyrus or Kim Kardashian!!? She...is...going...to...be...the...Queen!!!!

02-05-2012
tfs star

^ PRECISELY. I think the Michelle Obama comparisons are unfair too - it's a really different situation.

02-05-2012
Looking Up

I find Michelle Obama just as boring

02-05-2012
front row

I agree, Kate dress conservatively at times, but she generally looks pretty, Michelle Obama looks downright silly with some of her choices and some of her looks are far from flattering.

02-05-2012
V.I.P.

i can't believe how stupid nicholas kirkwood is, does he expect kate to be wearing his 6 inch heels? talk about greedy...

'You're meant to be a princess-y type of person, so act like 'one!': Shoe designer Nicholas Kirkwood slams The Duchess of Cambridge's taste in shoes
Stephanie Hirschmiller, dailymail.co.uk

Shoe maestro Nicholas Kirkwood has slammed The Duchess of Cambridge for her conservative taste in footwear.
The designer who is known for his extreme creations favoured by Beyonce and Sarah Jessica Parker, spoke out in an interview with The Daily Beast.
‘She just wears too much high street stuff. I know she’s trying to be democratic, but I don’t know how many pairs of LK Bennett you can wear.’
‘She does occasionally come out and is wearing McQueen or something like that. It’s like, “Do that more! You’re meant to be a princess-y type of person, so act like one!”’
However, the public can’t get enough of Kate’s taste and the Kate effect, as it is known, is cited as a key factor in the 17 per cent profit rise L.K.Bennett announced earlier this year.
This Nicholas Kirkwood 'Pearly Queen' creation, £995, designed exclusively for Selfridges' Royal Jubilee shop could be just the thing for Kate's next royal engagement
'She has accelerated sales for us — when she does wear something, it always seems to go on a waiting list,’ said L.K. Bennett’s US president, Tony DiMasso, who has just opened the first New York store for the British brand.
Despite his comments, Kirkwood is also enjoying Stateside success.
He opened his first standalone boutique in London’s Mount Street last year has just launched a New York flagship in SoHo’s Meatpacking District.
This year he will collaborate with fashion designers Erdem, Peter Pilotto and Prabal Gurung.
He is also to set to launch his own e-commerce site.
‘It’d be great if she (Kate) did wear my shoes,’ Kirkwood commented wistfully.
He has created a special ‘Pearly Queen’ shoe for Selfridges’ in honour of the royal jubilee celebrations to go on sale this month.
This could just be the opportunity Kate has been waiting for…
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kirkwood.jpg (20.2 KB, 767 views)

Last edited by lucy92; 02-05-2012 at 09:59 AM.

02-05-2012
girl who fell to earth

ugh that shoe is HIDEOUS!

I have no problem with her dressing conservatively...
i feel like she's still feeling her way around her position and it's better to be a bit cautious then to go overboard and be seen as an embarrassment...

she would look RIDICULOUS if she wore that pair of nicholas kirkwood shoes

02-05-2012
rising star

Even Dame Edna would look ridiculous wearing that shoe.

02-05-2012
trendsetter

Wow! That is a ridiculous heel!

I do agree that Kate's shoe choices are boring, but then so are Anna Wintour's, and at least Kate varies the colour and height of her heels, while it's an ongoing joke in the Anna thread that she only owns one pair of stilettos.

Speaking of shoes, Kate appears to finally have recovered from her brown boots addiction. Remember how she used to pair them with everything, appropriate or not? It only took a year, but god bless whoever is at the palace who convinced her to keep the boots reserved for beach walks, or being out in grassy or muddy areas. (Of course, nude heels have become her replacements but those are eons more appropriate to the outfits she wears.)

02-05-2012
backstage pass

I do think her footwear is inexcusably frumpy.

03-05-2012
rising star

Wild Roses, I'm sorry to say, but I suspect the boots are just in hibernation, waiting for next winter!

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2011, 2012, cambridge, catherine, december, duchess, june, kate, middleton