How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Star Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

27-06-2012
V.I.P.

I think she showed restraint for how much she has to constantly be changing clothes/hats, and that's on top of her re-wearing. I would guess Diana spent that in a month.

28-06-2012
V.I.P.

^ Agree. Where do people think Diana got her clothes. She paid for them. They didn't appear out of thin air. Can you imagine if the internet was around in the 80s.

28-06-2012
V.I.P.

So they're counting the Kiki earrings William gave her for Christmas? Doesn't that seem a little odd....So essentially he borrowed the money from his father to buy his wife a Christmas present? Something doesn't smell right in Denmark!

28-06-2012
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LUXXX View Post
I think she showed restraint for how much she has to constantly be changing clothes/hats, and that's on top of her re-wearing. I would guess Diana spent that in a month.
The difference is Diana loved designer clothes and she wasn't shy about showing them off. Whereas Kate and her PR team want us to believe that she is the 'down to earth' and frugal Duchess .

Also Diana did aproximitly 500 public engagements every year which means that she was a full-time working royal and was paid to do so. Kate on the other hand isnt, she has no income of her own and has only done a handful of engagements this year and has already spend £35k on clothes in 6 months.

Ashcottmanor- William probably paid for them from his Royal Air Force salary which is something like £44k a year.

Last edited by funkystar; 28-06-2012 at 08:09 PM.

28-06-2012
fashion icon

To be honest when I first read the amount Kate has spent on her wardrobe I was a bit gobsmacked. It's quite a large sum of money. The thing is though, she doesn't have her own salary at all (as far as I'm aware), so she's mainly relying on her husband and father-in-law to pay for her expenses. And honestly, even as a Duchess, I think it's bad to not have your own assets. Maybe if she was spending her own money it wouldn't be seen as such a big deal but since it's coming from someone else's pocket it's seen as distasteful. However, I've also thought that even though it's a really large sum it probably isn't nearly as much as Princess Diana spent. But at the same time like Funkystar pointed out, Diana did a lot more engagements and Kate really hasn't done that many. So Diana had more of a reason to spend more money on clothes. At the moment I'm going back and forth on this whole issue... I'm not sure where I totally stand.

Last edited by YoninahAliza; 28-06-2012 at 09:10 PM.

29-06-2012
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Label Basher View Post
^ Agree. Where do people think Diana got her clothes. She paid for them. They didn't appear out of thin air. Can you imagine if the internet was around in the 80s.
At least Diana wowed most of the time (save the atrocious 80s) and never pretended that she did not care about it (how many documentaries with her discussing dresses + accessories before each events). It was a huge part of her job and she embraced it. I hope to find the video where she discussed it.

They are Royals, not curing cancer. Most of the time they will just be asked to look good, smile, be gracious, look like they care, cut ribbons and produce children. None of them were hired especially for their intellectual qualities or substance so I don't get why the current PR team want us to believe that - especially in Kate's case - her clothes does not matter and should not come on the forefront. Even the FLOTUS said that she believe you coul be powerful and stylish as well. At least if she looked particularly amazing during each and every of her outing (ie CP Princess Mary of Dernmark) 35k would make sense or if she truly did not mind (ie CP Laetizia of Spain who spends her life in Mango and Zara) then it wouldn't be that much. I kept saying from the beginning that 200£ in shoes it not middle class but she is not anymore. She is the Duchess of Cambridge and there is nothing wrong with her wearing terrific pieces which may or may not be really expensive if it is worth it and if we can see the results...(she had maybe 3/4 really really good good outfit this past year and as someone pointed out the boring hairdresser was not even included in the costs!)

Last edited by dennab216; 29-06-2012 at 01:40 AM.

29-06-2012
V.I.P.

I don't think Kate has much choice over the engagements she does. No one can convince me that William doesn't completely call the shots. When he wants to be full-time, then she will be full-time as well.

30-06-2012
tfs star

I could have sworn she's worn more Zara than that.

30-06-2012
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoninahAliza View Post
To be honest when I first read the amount Kate has spent on her wardrobe I was a bit gobsmacked. It's quite a large sum of money. The thing is though, she doesn't have her own salary at all (as far as I'm aware), so she's mainly relying on her husband and father-in-law to pay for her expenses. And honestly, even as a Duchess, I think it's bad to not have your own assets. Maybe if she was spending her own money it wouldn't be seen as such a big deal but since it's coming from someone else's pocket it's seen as distasteful. However, I've also thought that even though it's a really large sum it probably isn't nearly as much as Princess Diana spent. But at the same time like Funkystar pointed out, Diana did a lot more engagements and Kate really hasn't done that many. So Diana had more of a reason to spend more money on clothes. At the moment I'm going back and forth on this whole issue... I'm not sure where I totally stand.
Everything you said!

I have mixed feelings too. Diana was a clotheshorse, but she also recycled many of her outfits as well. Plus, Diana was launched into engagements from the get-go (and didn't have the benefit of dating Prince Charles for 8 years to "ease" her way in).

I don't mind Kate spending money on clothes since it is money flowing into the economy (and her clothes buying habits always seem to spur others) but I'm once again disappointed in the Palace for being dishonest about her. First it was about the stylist. Now, it's about how often and how much money she's spending on clothes. Yes, she does recycle, but she's not a full-time royal yet. So, there no need for her to be buying like she's going on tours every 3 months.

01-07-2012
V.I.P.

the royal forums
[img]http://i48.************/u/f48/11/78/63/65/th/hyt10.jpg[/img]

June 30th 2012.

01-07-2012
tfs star

Don't know if it's the quality of the photo but that hat looks like a jellyfish. Hope she didn't pay too much money for it

01-07-2012
backstage pass

^^From what I can tell, that print is nice--hope we get bigger pics soon!

01-07-2012
V.I.P.

Awful dress.

01-07-2012
tfs star

Wearing Beulah and Jane Corbett hat

dailymail

Last edited by MiuMiuLove; 01-07-2012 at 08:14 PM.

01-07-2012
V.I.P.

^ That really is a perfect outfit for a celeb who doesn't want to draw attention away from the bride at a summer afternoon wedding...

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2012, 2013, cambridge, catherine, duchess, february, june, kate, middleton