How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Star Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

16-07-2012
V.I.P.

dailymail.co.uk
[img]http://i48.************/u/f48/11/78/63/65/th/arti8487.jpg[/img]

South African glossy features a photoshop picture of Kate on its cover

Editor defends the composite as 'fan art'

Local designer Clive Rundle just one of five to 'dress' the Duchess for the mag

16-07-2012
V.I.P.

^ that is hilarious. I can't really see Kate wearing that dress though.

16-07-2012
backstage pass

I can't see her wearing that either, LabelBasher. I think the Photoshopped cover is a bit of a gimmick but at least there is a point behind it, with the designers "dressing' her. I wonder if it's too much to hope Kate will actually eventually do an American magazine cover, like Diana did.

17-07-2012
windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by shannyD View Post
But they do get discounts. For example, the British royals receive a 60% discount off their Audi cars (article).

Catherine probably gets her designer clothes for a discounted price. I think Michelle Obama also gets discounts on designer clothes as well.
i was thinking this.

17-07-2012
V.I.P.

She won't wear that for a million years. I remember reading reports which said that she said "no" t being photographed for Vogue.

17-07-2012
rising star

dont think kate will do anything for vogue or any fashion magazine, since the queen frowns upon royals being too 'hollywood-ish'

17-07-2012
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by shannyD View Post
But they do get discounts. For example, the British royals receive a 60% discount off their Audi cars (article).

Catherine probably gets her designer clothes for a discounted price. I think Michelle Obama also gets discounts on designer clothes as well.
This article from the Daily Mail says Kate (or rather Charles) pays full retail for her clothes.

It seems strange to me that the Royal Family would accept discounts for their cars and not their clothes or vice versa. (And yes, I realize the DM is not a very reliable source, for either the clothes or car discounts.)

17-07-2012
V.I.P.

^what a micky mouse nose - why they have disfigured her face ??? - horrible

17-07-2012
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebastiana View Post
This article from the Daily Mail says Kate (or rather Charles) pays full retail for her clothes.

It seems strange to me that the Royal Family would accept discounts for their cars and not their clothes or vice versa. (And yes, I realize the DM is not a very reliable source, for either the clothes or car discounts.)
I think the reason they get discounts on their Audi's is because Charles is an close friend to the Audi CEO and also because the cars require special modifications such as making them bulletproof etc therefore making them more expensive than the retail price (don't quote me on this).

They have to pay full retail price for all their clothes but i'm not really sure why but wouldn't it be easier & cheaper if they (the female royals) just borrowed couture clothing from the designer and then give them back? it would save a hell of a lot of money. I think the black gown that Kate wore to the Military awards cost between £2-4k what's the point in spending that much money on a dress that is going to be worn once?.

Last edited by funkystar; 17-07-2012 at 12:55 PM.

17-07-2012
V.I.P.

celebrity gossip
[img]http://i48.************/u/f48/11/78/63/65/th/kate-m16.jpg[/img][img]http://i48.************/u/f48/11/78/63/65/th/kate-m17.jpg[/img]

Marie Claire South Africa - August 2012

17-07-2012
V.I.P.

Oh god. The one with the book is tragic.

17-07-2012
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkystar View Post
I think the reason they get discounts on their Audi's is because Charles is an close friend to the Audi CEO and also because the cars require special modifications such as making them bulletproof etc therefore making them more expensive than the retail price (don't quote me on this).

They have to pay full retail price for all their clothes but i'm not really sure why but wouldn't it be easier & cheaper if they (the female royals) just borrowed couture clothing from the designer and then give them back? it would save a hell of a lot of money. I think the black gown that Kate wore to the Military awards cost between £2-4k what's the point in spending that much money on a dress that is going to be worn once?.
The reason why they buy, and don't borrow, is because the clothing is saved for historical background (even if they are just figureheads, many of the events they are attend are considered important) and archival purposes. Plus, much of the haute couture they buy is made is made specifically for state purposes: it takes into account place, culture, and event. Which renders it useless if returned to the designer, because it really was/is designed as a one-off. It's not just fashion-for-fashion's-sake haute couture. It is usually made to serve a diplomatic purpose, however subtle (be it embroidery, colouring, cut, all 3...) (Many royals are savvy and figure out how to reuse their haute couture pieces though.)

That said, I do think they could easily borrow and return pret-a-porter type clothing if it is only going to be wore once or twice.

17-07-2012
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wild roses View Post
That said, I do think they could easily borrow and return pret-a-porter type clothing if it is only going to be wore once or twice.
Yeah I don't quite understand why she can't borrow certain items like celebs do. I'm sure the public would rather she borrow than pay. They can't moan about that.

18-07-2012
V.I.P.

well i actually find her photoshopped pics on that magazine rather funny

although its def absurd.

18-07-2012
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyLeReveur View Post
well i actually find her photoshopped pics on that magazine rather funny

although its def absurd.

It's not really photoshopped. It's a technique where the artist draws someone instead of using a real photo. That's why it looks a bit like a painting.

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2012, 2013, cambridge, catherine, duchess, february, june, kate, middleton