How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Star Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

20-05-2005
backstage pass

Celebrity Trendsetters
people magazine online are doing a new poll at the moment to determine the biggest celebrity trendsetters. Ironically the current winner (by far) is Jessica SImpson, the biggest trend whore out there. What i thought was even stranger is that Mary Kate and Ashely olsen, the biggest trendsetters out there are in last place. who votes for these things??????????

to put the poll right, and if u want to vote, click the link below....

http://people.aol.com/people/galleri...1989_7,00.html

20-05-2005
backstage pass

oh yeah, the current results are as follows...

20-05-2005
trendsetter

What People says:

JESSICA SIMPSON: ALL-AMERICAN
"People are always looking to see what she's wearing next," says PEOPLE style director Susan Kaufman of Simpson (in Las Vegas). "She always looks like the perfect little Barbie doll that you want to dress up. She's an all-American girl." And Simpson's style favorites – cowboy boots, UGGs, jeans, handbags galore – are accessible for anyone. "She wears looks that you can find for less and don't necessarily need a huge budget to emulate."

BEYONCE: GLAMOROUS
"She's come into her own fashion-wise," Kaufman says of Beyonce (at the Grammys in February). "Whether she's performing or doing the red carpet, she loves to dress up and show off her curves." The singer-actress's favorite figure-hugging fashions? Sexy, feminine gowns by Italian designer Roberto Cavalli.

ASHLEY AND MARY-KATE OLSEN: DOWNTOWN
Ashley and Mary-Kate Olsen (both in New York City) "are sort of the anti-Hilton sisters," says Kaufman. "They don't want to draw too much attention to themselves by dressing too provocatively. Everything they wear is loose and baggy." And their downtown aesthetic is catching on: "A lot of young women have started dressing like the Olsens," she says. "It's about being comfortable."

NICOLE KIDMAN: SOPHISTICATED
When it comes to the red carpet, Nicole Kidman (at the Tribeca Film Festival) is the reigning queen. "She's like a fashion model," says Kaufman. "She's so tall and thin that she can carry off many looks. She's made for high-end, sophisticated couture clothes." Rather than being overtly sexy, Kidman's style is streamlined. "The accessories are always minimal, the hair is fairly simple, the makeup is always very clean."

SIENNA MILLER: BOHEMIAN
"She was instrumental in popularizing the boho look that we're seeing now – the cowboy boots with the peasant skirt, the low-slung belt over a tunic, the newsboy cap mixed with a pirate shirt," says Kaufman of Sienna Miller (in New York City). She's such a trendsetter, the British actress (and Jude Law's fiancée) even has a tote named after her – the Sienna bag by Kooba.

JENNIFER LOPEZ: DIVA
Jennifer Lopez (at a New York City gala) "epitomizes diva style," says Kaufman. "Diva means bling, fur, evening gowns, mink eyelashes" – all Lopez trademarks. The singer-actress-mogul announced herself as a style force to be reckoned with in 2000, when she wore her now-legendary ultra-low-cut Versace gown to the Grammys. "She has a confidence with which she wears her clothes," Kaufman says. "She's a definite fashion personality."

Last edited by dancingellecat; 20-05-2005 at 08:04 PM.
20-05-2005
backstage pass

jessica simpson doesnt start any trends, well except maybe the poncho about 2 years ago. Now all she does is copy everyone else.

Beyonce dresses terribly nowadays and doesnt really start any trends at all.

Jennifer Lopez also dresses horribly and ive really never seen her start any fashion trends

Sienna Miller, even thought i find her rip-off Kate moss style quite annoying has, I admit, been quite a trendsetter in the past year of so with her boho look. Especially with signature pieces she's brought back in this season such as cowboy boots.

Nicole Kidman, although she may wear a nice piece of couture on the red carpet every now and then, is definitely not a trend setter!!!!!!!

20-05-2005
backstage pass

Quote:
JENNIFER LOPEZ: DIVA
Jennifer Lopez (at a New York City gala) "epitomizes diva style," says Kaufman. "Diva means bling, fur, evening gowns, mink eyelashes" – all Lopez trademarks. The singer-actress-mogul announced herself as a style force to be reckoned with in 2000, when she wore her now-legendary ultra-low-cut Versace gown to the Grammys. "She has a confidence with which she wears her clothes," Kaufman says. "She's a definite fashion personality."
jennifer Lopez wasnt even the 1st person to wear that versace dress, which really annoys me. Geri Halliwell wore it first!!!!!!!

20-05-2005
kabhi alvida

I think everyone on TFS should vote to stop Jessica from winning. She does not need encouragement.
The results just show the majority of the demographic people has.

backstage pass

3. Whose trendsetting style do you most identify with?Jessica Simpson
50%Nicole Kidman
19%Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen
9%Sienna Miller
8%Jennifer Lopez
8%Beyonce
6%

20-05-2005
V.I.P.

People magazine readers that visit the website just have bad taste in general. If I base my opinion on the votes.

20-05-2005
holy####ery

Well, it's People magazine. What do you expect?

20-05-2005
V.I.P.

Beyonce wears the same dress to every award show she goes too and huge bling ear rings. Definatly not a trendsetter the only thing I remeber her ever contributing too was the whole construction worker monolo blanik heels.

Jessica follows trends not starts them

sienna miller has only influenced the boho trend so far

Nicole Kidman dresses beautiful but I don't think she's ever started a trend

the olsen twins helped with the boho look as well and have always dressed nicely in their movies but nothing original.

J-lo is definatly in my opinion the biggest trendsetter. Every single one of her videos features at least one major trend. She has her own clothing line and her style is constantly been commented on.

V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by style_savy
J-lo is definatly in my opinion the biggest trendsetter. Every single one of her videos features at least one major trend. She has her own clothing line and her style is constantly been commented on.
I agree. She's miles ahead, Get Right had the bangles, ankle boots, and monochromatic that seems to be all the rage. I remember she was the first to wear a poncho, then they exploded.

20-05-2005
front row

As much as I hate her style most of the time, Jennifer Lopez is the only trensetter on the list.

trendsetter

agreed. J-lo is a major trend setter. Sienna copies Kate Moss and Jessica copies Sienna so it's a big circle but neither are true trend setters- just trend followers. I think the Olsens have more influence than most realize. Insteresting that they are not higher on the poll.

21-05-2005
trendsetter

I think MK (not Ashley) and Jennifer are the trendsetters.

I wonder why Kate Moss wasn't on, or Gwen Stefani (though I dislike her) because Gwen is hailed as a fashion icon. Or something.

21-05-2005
windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by style_savy
... the only thing I remeber her ever contributing too was the whole construction worker monolo blanik heels.
And that definitely isn't something to be proud of!:p

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
celebrity, trendsetters