How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Star Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

30-11-2011
V.I.P.

This whole page is just fabulous!! She looks amazing in everything!

30-11-2011
on the come up

Just WOW.

01-12-2011
backstage pass

What a goddess. 'Nuff said.

01-12-2011
fashion elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by LolaSvelt View Post
^That's because most of the other celebrities who had worn something from that collection pretty much wore the whole runway look. It's just so typical and boring (Zoe Saldana and Camilla Belle, I'm looking at you). I love that Charlize (and her stylist) did something different and fresh.
I could not agree with you more! Charlize always brings so much personality to her clothing, she never allows the clothes to overpwer her. She is just amazing, I cannot wait for all the red carpets.

On a side note I love the fact that she said Jack Nicholson In "The Shining" was her inswpiration for the Evil Queen in "Snow White and the Huntman"

01-12-2011
fashion elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ammarra View Post
We can finally see the footage of the 'incident' which really wasn't an 'incident' How London Foreign press write his stuff... Happy to see that she still has her sense of humour
It in the press conference part 2 around 2:20.
OMG they totally misrepresented the incident, she was totally having fun with it and making a joke, she was so funny. The press can be such jerks sometimes!

01-12-2011
trendsetter

LA Confidential interview
Charlize Theron: Back and Better Than Ever
Quote:

Interview:

Unlike other movie stars who slip out of the spotlight for an extended period, there was no spectacular box-office flop, no public fall from grace, no stint in rehab. The lady in question was simply busy pursuing other kinds of creative endeavors. But—as the résumé of nearly 40 films, a mantel containing a slew of coveted acting trophies, and the stacks of high-glam magazine covers confirm—Charlize Theron remains a movie star, and she is back.

The actress, whose early career received attention more for her uncommon beauty and statuesque screen presence than for her increasingly compelling acting skills, is back on the big screen once again after a lengthy sabbatical. And now, on the brink of the release of Young Adult, her first major starring role since 2008, the actress’s uniquely upbeat-yet-laid-back demeanor suggests she’s glad to be back. “I’ve got to tell you, it’s probably the best experience I’ve ever had on a film,” she says of making Young Adult. “I had an amazing time.”

It was an experience that almost didn’t happen: When director Jason Reitman (reuniting with his Juno collaborator, screenwriter Diablo Cody) first pursued Theron for the lead role of Mavis Gary—a writer of young-adult novels whose arrested-development issues lead her back to her hometown in pursuit of her now-married high school flame (Patrick Wilson)—the actress had prior commitments and wasn’t available. Expecting to spend the better part of a year shooting director George Miller’s Mad Max reboot, Mad Max: Fury Road, in Australia, she couldn’t bring herself to even look at the script. “I said, ‘I don’t want to read anything,’” she says, “‘because I’ll be depressed and want to kill myself because I can’t do it.’” But when Mad Max: Fury Road’s long-gestating production hit a snag, Reitman circled back to find the actress had some time to spare and was therefore more receptive to his pitch.

“Prior to that, I didn’t work for three years,”
says Theron. But by “work” she means in front of the camera, since she was in the throes of a different kind of creative endeavor: She launched a television arm of her production company, Denver & Delilah Films, developing a series with David Fincher called Mind Hunter (based on the book by John Douglas) for HBO, among other TV and feature projects currently in the pipeline. “I was really happy with the work we were developing,” she says. “It was a highly creative time in my life.”

She and Reitman huddled to hammer out a shared vision before she formally signed on. “It was definitely not from the first read that I went, ‘This is it!’” she says. “But that’s usually a good sign—I think the good ones in my career have felt that way.” Once director, star, and script were fully in accord, Theron returned to life in front of the camera. “It was nerve-wracking the first couple of weeks, and then we just kind of hit our flow. The whole thing was just a pleasure.”

Theron says Mavis, her character in Young Adult—a 37-year-old woman still clinging to the childish habits of her popular-girl past—“never really grew up. She went through life writing teen novels and never evolved. You can’t expect somebody who has that set of tools to go about life in any way better than the way she does.” But as real, relatable, and eminently flawed as Mavis seems, “I don’t relate to everything,” says Theron. “The way we go about things in our lives is very different. But at the core, I had empathy for how she went about it, which was sometimes brutal. She’s like this horrible car accident you can’t take your eyes off of. But I really loved the fact she’s a girl in her mid-thirties and [am interested in] the way the world looks at a girl that age who’s still single. But her tool set is very different from mine.”

For one thing, Theron never indulged in an arrested adolescence. “I grew up quickly,” she says, recalling leaving her parents’ South African farm to attend the School of Performing Arts in Johannesburg. “It doesn’t matter where you go to school, there’s always the popular girl, but we didn’t really have the prom queen and prom king, and all of that stuff. There were different pressures. I went to a pretty strict art school—it was really conservative. You had to get on your knees so the teachers could make sure your school uniform was below your knees. It was not as relaxed as I think schools are in America. I definitely grew up a lot faster than some of my friends did.”

After a now-fabled discovery that sounds almost perfectly scripted (a talent agent spotted the towering young Theron while she was quarreling with a bank teller during a visit to LA), the actress swiftly made a name for herself in Hollywood, culminating in her famously transformative, Oscar-winning turn playing serial killer Aileen Wuornos in 2003’s Monster. She followed that up with a string of trophy-worthy performances, and at this stage in her career, she embraces a sense of gratitude for the admittedly rare chances to dig as deep as she has. “You could have an outline of what you want your career to be, and if you don’t have the opportunities to really deliver on that, you’re stuck in the same place,” she says. “I’ve always been very, very aware of the fact I only have the career I have today because of the opportunities—first and foremost.”

And yet she gives her personal work ethic due credit. “There’s great tenacity when I tackle something, and I don’t half-*** anything. When I work, I work really, really hard. And I think that—combined with people who believe in me— has been really a great blessing,” says Theron. “You choose the life you want for yourself, and then you just shut up and go about it. That’s how I’ve lived my life.”

Post-Young Adult, Theron has gotten back to business with a vengeance. Next summer’s Prometheus is a sci-fi epic initially conceived by producer/director Ridley Scott as an Alien prequel before re-tweaking it as its own franchise- promising property. “I think every actor has that one iconic director who sets a genre he or she wants to work with, and for me that’s Ridley Scott,” says Theron. “When he called and asked if I wanted to do this, and he was willing to develop the role a little bit with me, I was really excited. I think people are going to be pleased with where he went with this. [Scott] is just one of those people [for whom] you go, ‘For sure, you are doing what you’re supposed to do on this earth.’”

Debuting almost simultaneously is Snow White & the Huntsman, which finds Theron playing The Evil Queen to Kristen Stewart’s dwarf-friendly fairy-tale heroine. “This has been a great sandbox to play in— huge sets and great costumes, and yet very grounded material,” she says, offering a tip of the crown to the inspiration behind her take on the beauty-obsessed monarch. “There was definitely something [about the character] that always reminded me of Jack Nicholson in The Shining. I played with the idea of that cabin fever, being stuck in a castle, and slowly losing your mind, your obsessions eating you up, and becoming capable of doing something you didn’t necessarily think you would be capable of.”

Even with such high-profile roles at hand (the Mad Max film is a go again, too), Theron still wonders about her career longevity now that she, too, is no longer a young adult. “I don’t know if I feel I’m here to stay,” she says, “but that’s a good thing. That keeps you on your toes. I think this is an industry where you can’t get too comfortable. It’s constantly churning with great talent, and you’ve got to raise the bar and try to push yourself. I don’t ever want to kind of feel, Yeah, I’m here. I made it. I think that would probably be the time to retire. I don’t ever want to get comfortable with anything.”

Last edited by dennab216; 01-12-2011 at 12:27 PM.

02-12-2011
V.I.P.

Charlize Theron on 'Young Adult,' 'Prometheus' and Endearing Herself to America

"Shut the **** up!," Charlize Theron screamed at her publicist. Yes, for a moment, it was hard to tell if she was kidding. Theron has an Academy Award for her portrayal of Aileen Wuornos in 2003's 'Monster,' but even this Oscar winner couldn't quite make it to the end of her next sentence, "Worst publicist in the ****ing world. Jesus Christ," without breaking character and showing hints of laughter. But, by that point in the interview, I shouldn't have been too surprised, because I had already realized that Theron, in person, is not quite what you would expect. Definitely not on autopilot with her answers, Theron is loose, honest, and not afraid to throw an expletive around. Oh, also, she's kind of a nerd.

In the Jason Reitman-directed and Diablo Cody-written 'Young Adult,' Theron plays Mavis Gary, an author of young adult novels who returns to her small hometown of Mercury, Minnesota, in an effort to woo her high school sweetheart back -- a high school sweetheart who is happily married and also a brand new father. A madcap comedy, this is not.

In this wide-ranging discussion, Theron explains how her own high school experience as a nerd influenced Mavis, how come her role on 'Arrested Development' was so important to her career, and why working with Ridley Scott on 'Prometheus' was a dream come true. The South African native also reveals why 'District 9' is the most profound movie on apartheid that she's ever seen.

(And please, please, never play "What's Up" by 4 Non Blondes in her presence.)

I always feel bad at the beginning of an interview, because I feel that you've just built some great rapport with someone else ... and then I show up.
No, I was just shooting the **** with my publicist. So, you're the first. You're going to set the bar.

This movie is hard to watch. Do you feel that's an accurate statement?
Yes.

Why do you feel that way?
Because I think when we go to movies, it is somewhat having that experience of holding up a mirror and seeing yourself. And I think, in general, most movies show attributes that we aspire to. And this character is definitely not that. In saying that, you see yourself.

I mean, I'm in my 30s and all my friends back where I grew up in Missouri have kids. Maybe you're right and I do see myself and that's why it's hard to watch.
[Sneezes] Oh my God, I'm allergic to your questions! No, I mean, when I watched it, too, I felt the same way. It is a tough movie. And the movie is dressed up as this very simple story and it actually deals with really heavy real dark emotional human behavior. And I think there's a lot in that that we don't want to admit about ourselves.

With a 4 Non Blondes song thrown in.
That song...yeah.

What's that mean?
I just have a whole other personal experience. I love Linda Perry -- I loved [What's Up'] when it came out. But I had an experience...I flew out to Turkey a couple of years ago for an eclipse...

Not the 'Twilight' movie.
No! [Laughing] "Twilight movie"...

I just want to get that on the record.
I'm not that cool.

Noted.
No, it was a nature thing and I dragged my *** up on to some hill where the Lonely Planet guy told me to go to experience the eclipse, you know, in the best way possible. And I was sitting there waiting for this eclipse to happen and this hippie girl pulled out a guitar and started playing that song -- over and over and over and over again. Every time I hear that song, I remember sitting in this hill going, "I dragged my *** all the way up here and that ****ing bitch won't stop playing that song." This has nothing to do with the movie...

This has everything to do with the movie.
But that song brings back that memory.

But now when that song plays in the movie, I now know why you look so miserable.
OK, this relates: When we were shooting it, Jason would just play music -- surprise me with music. So he would never tell me what he was going to play. And he plays that and says, "I just want you to listen to what I play and then kind of taken in your town and see what's around you." So he plays that song, this look of disgust came on. He cut and he said, "Did the dog fart in the car or something? Because it looks like you're smelling a fart." And I was like, "I can't ... this song brings back horrible memories for me."

There's my headline, "Why Charlize Theron thinks That 4 Non Blondes Songs Smell Like Farts."
Oh, no! She is going to hate me! Linda Perry is an amazing songwriter.

I'm really not sure where to go from here.
We're done!

Yes, we're done. I've got my "scoop." Did you base this character on anyone that you knew in high school? Or maybe some of your own traits?
Yes. There's definitely a little bit of a lot of people in her. I think from the time that I say "yes" to a film, I obsessively start thinking and making a file in my head of things that I've seen or that I'm observing that could be really great. For example: the Diet Coke thing came from a girlfriend of mine who was highly addicted and she drank out of the two-liter bottle. It was like, "You're not even trying to make it look sexy anymore." You can't pop a can?

Does it ever look sexy?
I think a can would maybe be better than the two-liter that you're guzzling like a bottle.

I think a can of Tab can look good. At least it did in the old commercials.
Yeah, but then you have to special order it from Europe. But, yeah, she's not very happy about it. I was like, "Guess what?" And I discovered Mavis' walk while I was making this film -- and it's Jason Reitman's walk. And he's not happy about that at all. But he has this shuffle; you can like hear him before you see him because he just never picks up his feet from the ground.

If I ever talk to him, I now know that if I hear the shuffle, he's approaching.
Exactly! A little pigeon-toed shuffle.

I'm jotting this down to bring up with him at a later time, "pigeon-toed shuffle." Underlined.
I mean, I'm just a big thief. That saying is right: You steal from the best.

You mispronounce Mos Eisley spaceport from 'Star Wars' in this movie. Did you actually have to learn what that is?
No, I'm a bit of a nerd myself.

Oh, so you knew the correct pronunciation coming into that scene.
Yeah, and that actually made it harder. How would you mispronounce it? And Jason and I, we couldn't come up with one. So I feel like I failed a little bit making that sound like I couldn't pronounce it.

So, instead, you were worried about losing your "nerd cred."
I don't think I can. If you see my high school photos, you'll have a true understanding that my foundation as a nerd has been laid thick and well.

Explain that.
You should ask Patton [Oswalt] about it. I think anyone who has spent time with me has come to realize that I am really just a nerd stuck in six-inch heels, trying to be a girl.

And why would your high school photo convey that?
I had really bad eyesight and my mother decided to buy me the most unattractive glasses ever. And boys do not respond well to those, so you just fall into a whole different crowed when you wear big Sally Jesse Raphael glasses.

I was not expecting to hear Sally Jesse Raphael's name today before I walked through that door.
Well, have you seen her glasses?

Yes, but not in a while.
Well, that's exactly what I wore. They're weren't red, but they were the same size. That, as far as I'm concerned, is child abuse.

Mavis spends a lot of time in this movie making herself presentable before she goes anywhere. Are you expected to do that? Can you go outside without a photo of you showing up with a caption that reads, "Look at Charlize looking like a normal human being today. How dare she!"
No, I'm not too stuck up about that. I think that there is a great truth for, I believe, all women that Mavis kind of represents. Which is that we do innately understand how to dress for guys. Women just do. And we do it and we use it. We're very much aware of what we wear. I just think women are just very in tune with that stuff and I think there's a part of women who really enjoy that aspect of being feminine and being a girl. But we don't sustain that. There's no way that you can. And when we don't, it's not pretty. But it's real. I live a very simple life and, yeah, I can really do my thing and not have to worry.

Being from South Africa, did you like 'District 9'?
We were talking about this yesterday. The whole sense of this film being dressed up as a movie that is to appear like something that it's not. The fact that it's dealing with real heavy, human emotions. Really dark ****, but it kind of looks like this very simple story. And a great example of that is 'District 9.' It's a movie that kind of dressed itself up like a big summer blockbuster and yet it was the most profound piece I've ever seen on segregation and historical facts about African politics. It just blew me away. Absolutely brilliant. I can't wait to see what that guy does next.

Yeah, Neill Blomkamp. I also really enjoyed how there was a commercially successful alien movie that wasn't set in New York or L.A. But, being from South Africa, that had to be interesting to you, just location wise.
Yeah, the whole thing to me was amazing. Utilizing the environment and not hitting you over the top with it. I mean, I was way more moved by that film than I have by a small, independent film talking about apartheid. That film, really, really moved me.

02-12-2011
V.I.P.

Continue -

When you did "Arrested Development,' I feel you endeared yourself to a lot of people.
Oh my God, it was amazing! I was a huge fan of the show and I really wanted to do it. I had been talking to Mitch for a while and, of course, got to know Jason Bateman. And then Patty Jenkins who wrote and directed 'Monster' went and directed a couple of shows. And Patty was like, "Everybody needs to see you in a comedy. You're so funny." I really have to give her credit, because I said to her, "I would love to do 'Arrested Development'" And so she started the conversation.

I mean, sometimes it's hard when you...not hard. That sounds horrible. People have preconceived ideas and this whole industry is a little ***-backwards. You know, the whole "red carpet gown" thing. People, I think, believe that more to be reality versus what we do as actors and what we love and who we are. And, also, I really don't go on the defense on having to feel a need to go and explain who I really am. When I work with people, I think they get a sense of who I really am.

I'll admit, you're more laid back than I expected.
[Theron's publicist chimes in from the adjoining room] She's not cool at all.

[Sarcastically screaming] Shut the **** up! Worst publicist in the ****ing world. Jesus Christ. I'm trying to win fans here, OK?

My new headline, "Charlize Theron: Jesus Christ, I'm Trying To Win Fans Here."
[Laughing] I'm trying to endear America to me, OK? No, I get it, actors are very pretentious.

Do you want to know the first movie that I ever thought I saw you in? 'Trial and Error.'
Wow!

I saw it at the theater.
You went! That's...

OK, I was so happy when you won an Oscar. Because I had seen 'The Lost World' already, which came out the week before, and I convinced my friends that had not seen 'The Lost Word' that this Michael Richards movie would be better.
[Yells at her publicist] Give this guy eight dollars! That is amazing, you dragged them in there?

After, I was like, "OK, but the actor who played the waitress was pretty good." A few years later, I was vindicated.
That is hilarious. I had a great time on that.

But I didn't realize you were in 'That Thing You Do,' which I had seen first.
That's so long ago! I'm so old!

I'm a few months older than you are, so that doesn't make me feel good. I'm rethinking this "you seem cool" statement.
[Laughs] Let's just drink. Drink our sorrows away.

It's before noon.
[To her publicist] He's older than me. Do you know how sad that is? You're like five years older than the both of us.

Theron's publicist: No, I'm actually the same age you are.

[Theron starts laughing]

I do have a final question.'Prometheus.' The last time you did anything let's say, nerdy, with 'Aeon Flux,' people didn't like it. Obviously Ridley Scott is involved this time. But any hesitation?
God, no. I mean, it's Ridley Scott. I'll be honest with you, I'm very director driven. I think 75 to 80 percent of my decision making is based on the director. Even before I read the script. And I tend to, more than not, find that the directors who inspire me -- the ones I really want to work with -- tend to have interesting material. In the case of Ridley, he's an iconic guy that I think there's three or four in his age and generation. And every actor has one of those guys they kind of dream to work with -- and, for me, it was Ridley Scott.

I used to find myself on movies a lot of times just kind of, you know, working with these indecisive...you know, "I don't know what I want to do." Oh my God, you're the ****ing director. You should know what you want to do here. And I'd always kind of joke, "I just wish Ridley Scott was here right now." In my mind I had always envisioned him as this guy who just walked onto the set and knew exactly what he wanted. And that's exactly who he is. And, at the same time, he's a twelve year old who just still loves what he does.

And, by the way, the characters are day and night different. I mean, I'm playing a suit. She's like a real corporate nightmare. But he's everything that I'd hoped he was. Not just to work with him, but on a genre he helped define, is amazing.

I lied, here's one more: Why are there two Snow White movies?
I don't know! But it's not a big deal. Honestly, I feel like people are in such a panic about it. I want everyone to take a deep breath...

I'm not in a panic, I'm just confused...
[Laughs] Calm down, it's going to be OK.

I feel better now. Thank you.
I think, also, now that the trailers are out, people understand they are two very, very different films. And there's no way financers are going to throw that kind of money toward two films they didn't feel like there was a market for both. So, everybody needs to chill out. It's going to be amazing. We're going to have two Snow Whites -- incredible!

And you're good in it?
Ah, well... [knocks on a wooden table] that was me knocking on wood! Transcribe that!

blog.moviefone.com

02-12-2011
fashion elite

^Oh wow that was a brilliant interview, I cannot wait to see "young adult".

Label BAsher thank you so much!!

02-12-2011
V.I.P.

Seriously drop dead gorg in that Gucci dress, she takes it to a whole new level that noone else could, perfection head to toe, definitely one of her best looks of the year imo

02-12-2011
fashion elite

http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=7390215n

Watch the full interview Sunday, December 4th on CBS.

Last edited by KamenKutak; 02-12-2011 at 08:12 AM.

02-12-2011
trendsetter

Thanks KK. This sounds like a really good interview. Can't wait for Monday Hopefully someone will put the whole thing on YT. I am quite impressed by the amount of promo she is doing for those movies. I don't remember seeing that much of her since Monster and Hancock.

03-12-2011
I don't know

I hope these haven't been posted before

three new clips from Young Adult. Can't wait for this

03-12-2011
backstage pass

whoa that jumpsuit or whatever is amazing on her. whooooa.

04-12-2011
trendsetter

Credit : LadyCharlize, LA times
The Contenders: Charlize Theron's 'Young Adult' role grew on her
By Nicole Sperling, Los Angeles Times
December 1, 2011

Uploaded with ImageShack.usActress Charlize Theron photographed at Lulu's Cafe in Los Angeles. Theron stars in the film Young Adult. (Wally Skalij/ Los Angeles Times)
Quote:
The actress sought out Jason Reitman to see beyond her looks and give her a challenge. She had her work cut out for her.

Much like her character in the new film "Young Adult," Charlize Theron is a stalker. While the film's Mavis goes after an old boyfriend, Theron has begun targeting interesting directors willing to see beyond her striking beauty.

After having taken on challenging roles in the past only to have them disappoint in the execution, the 36-year-old actress now looks to work with visionaries at the helm of her films. She sought out Jason Reitman at last year's Academy Awards, where the writer-director had been nominated for his George Clooney-starring "Up in the Air," Theron's favorite film of 2009.

"We were walking into the theater, and he and his wife were in front of us. I thought, 'Oh, God, don't be that person,' but I was. I tapped him on the shoulder and said, 'I just love your film,'" said Theron, whose shyness often prevents her from reaching out to those she admires.

She adds, "The directors that I really suss out, the ones that really inspire me, make the kind of films I feel could raise my bar.... I'm a bit of a director groupie."

Theron's single-minded desire to work with the 34-year-old auteur led her to the challenging "Young Adult," a tar-black comedy written by Reitman's "Juno" collaborator Diablo Cody. That dedication helped Theron understand the role of Mavis Gary — a thirtysomething ghostwriter trapped in a state of arrested development who feels her life will get back on track once she reconnects with her high school boyfriend — despite the fact that he is happily married and a brand-new father.

"I knew that there was something great about her," said the actress of the character, while sipping a Coke poolside at the Chateau Marmont. "I didn't know how to go about doing it. I think that's always a good sign. She wasn't an easy character to find. She definitely played hard to get."

Mavis is anything but a sympathetic character. She's a reality-TV-watching, hair-pulling alcoholic with little self-awareness. She may be the protagonist, but she's hardly an antihero because she lacks the tools for any kind of change.

Theron empathized with Mavis, but she never liked her, and that was more than enough to interest the former ballerina and model. "I think the greatest characters are the unlikable ones, but mainly men get to play them. Rarely do women. And they are so delicious. Like Nicole Kidman in 'To Die For,' I wanted that character to live next to me. Did I want her to be my daughter? No. But those characters are so interesting."

Despite Mavis' complexity — or maybe because of it — Theron had a great time on the set of the film. "Young Adult" was shot in a speedy 30 days in upstate New York. To Theron, it was her favorite way to work: small crew, long hours, no frills. The actress even bypassed the traditional hair and makeup artists and put herself together — a process that worked well for Mavis, who, when she's not desperately trying to seduce her ex (Patrick Wilson), can be found trudging down the street in day-old makeup and battered sweats.

"On the drive out to the suburbs, I would just sleep in my makeup. I would literally get out of the car and walk onto the set and be ready to shoot," said Theron. "And we would shoot all day long. I wouldn't go to my trailer. It almost felt like a student film."

Theron's costar Patton Oswalt appreciated her drive. "It was such a relief to work with someone who's a professional, who doesn't have the belief that her talent comes from somewhere up high. No, her talent comes from working really hard. That's all she believes in."

With the humor in "Young Adult" so dark viewers may not be sure whether to laugh or cry, even Theron was ambivalent toward the finished product upon her first screening, saying she felt like she'd been "punched in the face over and over again." She has since watched it with audiences during test screenings, which has been easier. "I didn't know what people would respond to. Are they going to get it? It was nice to see what they responded to, what they laughed at."

Ultimately, Theron trusted her director and his vision. The film ends in a rather surprising manner, which is sure to have a divisive effect on audiences. But it was an ending Theron believed in, and she signed on to the film only after Reitman promised her he would not change it.

"The third act is my favorite part of any movie I've ever done," the actress says. "It's the most deserving third act I've ever been a part of: the rawness, the surprise, the curve."
LA Confidential scans

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2010, 2012, april, charlize, january, theron