Charlotte Gainsbourg - Page 42 - the Fashion Spot

How to Join
18-02-2012
V.I.P.

Quote:
Closing Ceremony Red Carpet Arrivals - 62nd Berlinale International Film Festival

mujer.es

18-02-2012
V.I.P.

mujer.es

18-02-2012
V.I.P.

mujer.es

18-02-2012
tfs star

Some of the last outfits look a bit....disheveled, I don´t know, a bit coming apart. I mean she´s a queen and she could look angelic in garbage bin lining, but the last outfits lack...I don´t know...coherence, like they´re held by pins....

18-02-2012
Alluring

I love the S/S 11 Balenciaga skirt on her! So cool.

18-02-2012
V.I.P.

She looks sexy. I love the skirt too!

Fashion: Don’t you recognize me? Death: You should know that I don’t see very well and I can’t wear glasses. Fashion: I’m Fashion, your sister. Death: My sister? Fashion: Yes. You and I together keep undoing and changing things down here on earth although you go about it in one way and I another. Giacomo Leopardi, “Dialogue Between Fashion and Death.”abridged

18-02-2012
V.I.P.

me too, love the top and shoes too I think she looks sexy and bada** in the best possible way

19-02-2012
V.I.P.

charlotte remains flawless. amazing outfits from first to last one she wore in Berlin.

01-03-2012
V.I.P.

Queen at the Balenciaga show:

twitter.com/WMag

01-03-2012
V.I.P.

Indeed she looks fabulous
Posted via Mobile Device

01-03-2012
trendsetter

Amazing. I hope we see more photos from the show!

01-03-2012
fashion elite

She's effortless.
Posted via Mobile Device

01-03-2012
V.I.P.

What an awesome shot, the outfit looks amazing esp that jacket, Kristen should study her and learn something about effortless cool:p

01-03-2012
V.I.P.

twitter.com/voguespain

i don't recall seeing this Hedi Slimane photoshoot of hers:

Quote:
Charlotte Gainsbourg sits, sipping tea, in the living room of her sprawling yet cozy Left Bank penthouse. In the kitchen, her partner of 18 years, actor and filmmaker Yvan Attal, is conducting a lively script meeting. A stroller belonging to Joe Attal, their six-month-old daughter, rests on the salon's parquet floor, surrounded by framed watercolors by Gainsbourg's older children, Ben and Alice; a portrait of poet Jean Cocteau; and the cover shot for her latest record, "Stage Whisper."
Gainsbourg is European celebrity royalty, the daughter of maverick French singer-composer Serge Gainsbourg and British model-actress Jane Birkin (for whom Hermès famously named a bag). She's an accomplished actress who has appeared in 40 films and won the French equivalent of an Oscar at age 14. She is a singer who, as an adult, has recorded three acclaimed solo albums with such alt-rock luminaries as Beck, Air and Jarvis Cocker. At 40 she's an unconventional beauty who has become the muse of Nicolas Ghesquière, one of the world's top designers.
And yet she is also none of these things.
"I feel embarrassed to say I am an actress," she admits. "Just as I am embarrassed to say that I am a singer. I prefer not to have a label. I don't feel professional—never learned technique at school. I lack the formation—nothing was ever planned."
Gainsbourg's disarming honesty and vulnerability are unusual in France, where an obsession with discipline and appearance rules. She's still breast-feeding in a country that frowns upon it—the result, she says, is "never feeling in the right spot and always a bit off." But such frankness—delivered in a sweet, soft voice—neatly reveals how Gainsbourg has turned knock-kneed, Bambi-like gawkiness into an art.
The stability of her home life has allowed her to make what she calls "brave" movie choices, such as working with button-pushing director Lars von Trier on last year's end-of-the-world saga "Melancholia," as well as on his 2009 horror film, "Antichrist," which features scenes of graphic sex and self-mutilation. "All those actresses complaining that he's a soul-stealer?" she says, referring to Björk, the star of his "Dancer in the Dark." "I am ready to be stolen as long as there is no violence against me. If I trust someone, I am always willing to go further." And she may go further still: Her next film with von Trier is reportedly titled "The Nymphomaniac."
Despite all of her achievements, Gainsbourg says she doesn't consider herself an artist: "I feel much simpler, though I love watching real artists." And it's this insecurity about her career that charges her: Despite making well-received records, she was terrified about singing in public but willed herself to do it. "Something about the spontaneity appealed," she says. "It became exciting and new." This need for a creative edge stems from her childhood, when she found it difficult to like herself. "I felt ugly," she says. "All my life I considered myself brave because of the emotional pain I dealt with." She drew on her awkwardness to, if not conquer, at least confront her feelings. "I always had my own personality. Early on, I didn't make compromises. My father loved talking about himself and loved to show off in a funny way. He was really shocked that I didn't care about that."
Growing older has led Gainsbourg to consider compromising—but just a little bit. She'd like to make one Hollywood movie "for the experience" but insists, "Hollywood says nothing to me. It is so square and calculated and does not leave a lot of space." Aging has also made her only slightly more comfortable in her skin, though at the same time, the process appalls her. "I wish I could go back and start again with a different sense of ease," she says. "I love the beauty of youth, the innocence and lack of awareness." She recognizes that there is a charm to aging, but she's also sad to see pictures of actresses she loves looking older. Still, Gainsbourg plans to stick with her wrinkles unless she finds "a new technique that is well done and doesn't show," she says. "My mother is a great example of someone who has done nothing, although she was born very beautiful." It was Birkin who encouraged Gainsbourg to go au naturel. "She said that during the 1960s, due to all the makeup, all the girls looked the same. She said you should stay as authentic as possible."
That raw authenticity drew Balenciaga's Ghesquière to her, and he has since become a close friend. But despite being the inspiration for a revered fashion house, Gainsbourg bristles at being called a style icon. "I don't know what that means," she protests. "Style for me is a casual way of putting something on. It's not thought out but needs to suit your way of life. Now I like wearing the same sweater over and over again, then taking it off when it's smelly."
Which makes her everything she denies she is—a style icon, a rock star, an artist—and is precisely why she is so appealing.

the wall street journal

01-03-2012
front row

i love reading charlotte's interviews, cause they are always so brutally honest. there are very few actresses will openly admit they don't feel beautiful and suffer from the pain of their insecurities. and about aging, again, she's so open to say she's somehow appalled by the process...and she doesn't call herself an "artist" cause she's simpler...the beauty of raw honesty lies in the authenticity and purity it stands for. like she's not trying to hide things and is brave enough to confront her feelings, no matter how complicated they are. most important of all, she's not sugarcoating anything, and it's just so refreshing and inspiring at the same time!

Last edited by greengrassia; 01-03-2012 at 07:22 AM.

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
charlotte, gainsbourg