How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Star Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

26-03-2010
V.I.P.

Charlotte Gainsbourg
Moderator's Note:
  • In order to improve site performance, long threads that are draining our loading time will be closed and we are going to be periodically starting new threads. This should help pages load faster.
  • Please remember that not everyone is on a fast connection, or has a large screen, and keep your picture sizes to 800 pixels or less in the largest dimension. This will also help with page load speed.
  • Please refrain from posting the same images as contained in the archived threads (eg in the old closed thread).
  • Please stay on topic!
  • Please do not power post eg make empty posts with no Info/questions/Images - Empty posts cause threads to grow rapidly and is a nuisance to those who subscribe to many threads. Please take any private conversations to PMs or Profile Comments.
  • To view old thread(s) please use the search function.
Thank you!

Quote:
Though there are many memorable on-screen moments that involve Charlotte Gainsbourg—Jane Eyre, 21 Grams, and Ma Femme Est Une Actrice just to name a few—and her storied familial genes are enviable to say the least (mother is Blow Up actress Jane Birkin of Hermès fame, her father is French icon Serge Gainsbourg, and Lou Doillon is her über-stylish little sister), we love her most for her remarkable sense of personal style. Never over the top or vulgar, and often in Balenciaga (it pays to be close friends and muse to the incomparable designer of the French house, Nicolas Ghesquière), Gainsbourg is revered by fashion followers the world over for her perfectly Parisian élan. The lithe mother of two is not as flashy as some stars, but there has certainly been no shortage of opportunities for Gainsbourg to show off her sophisticated brand of insouciance. In between promoting her latest film, Lars von Trier's Antichrist, collaborating with Beck on last year's cult classic IRM album, and being the face of Balenciaga's first fragrance, she has provided her loyal devotees with plenty of eye-candy, and we just couldn't wait to share some of our absolute favorites with you, dear readers. As always, we've got all of the details about her impressive dressing on hand, so get ready to cherchez la femme in today's Style Spotlight story!

Spotted backstage at the Chanel Haute Couture show in January, Gainsbourg looked laid back—save for her Balenciaga Grey Raccoon Fur Coat ($15225, 212.206.0872) from the French fashion house's Pre Fall 2009 collection. Paired with her signature skinny-slouchy signature Notify Jeans ($205), the Antichrist-star looked both pared-down and decadent. Though her covetable coat is no longer available, please be sure to check out 3.1 Phillip Lim's Rex Rabbit Coat ($2500) or try BB Dakota's Annalise Faux Fur Coat ($170) for a more animal-friendly option. Gainsbourg wore a similar outfit to an Italian television appearance in February (above, top right), though instead of a fuzzy jacket she opted for Balenciaga's Black Leather Coat ($4295). We think Tory Burch's Richard Jacket ($795) is a very close approximation of her moto piece, so definitely check it out. Either outerwear way you go, make sure to pair it with Paige's Geo Skyline Peg Jeans ($199) or Current/Elliott's The Skinny Jeans ($216), plus either Steve Madden's Duvaal Boots ($100) or Joie's Elvis Suede Booties ($295), both dead-ringers for Gainsbourg's divinely worn-in R. Sole Irene Tobacco Suede Ankle Boots ($292)!

Of course the French muse's clothing repertoire extends beyond her favorite chic denim. While attending a Christmas lighting ceremony on the Champs Elysees in Paris late last year, Gainsbourg wore Balenciaga's Silk Tiger Print Blue Top, Black Chantilly Lace Bra, and Black Leather Pants, all from the F/W 09 collection. Since lingerie display is all the rage this spring, be sure to try Equipment's Daddy Blouse with Epaulets ($218) or Urban Outfitters' Pins and Needles Tiered Lace Button Top ($58) over Top Secret's Lace Bandeau ($44). All you need after that is Paige's Hyde Park Skinny Pants ($400) or Vince's Stretch Leather Leggings ($870) to get a little bit of luxurious leather into your life and you'll be set tout suite!

Gainsbourg sported another sophisticated separates-based ensemble to attend the Balenciaga F/W 10 show in Paris earlier this month. Her Pleated Leather Skirt ($9995), Beige Suede Boots ($995), and Brown Leather Coat ($2895) are stellar on their own, but worn together it proves that old adage that the whole can be greater than the sum of its parts. The runway-ready selections are certainly worth considering, but if you love the look we can recommend Myne's Arrow Print Skirt ($198) with your favorite oversized jacket and Marc by Marc Jacobs' Scallop Booties ($248) to mimic Gainsbourg's marvelous brand of chic.

Finally, we have the shining star of the Gainsbourg garment galaxy: the Black Jersey Crepe Dress ($5850) from Balenciaga's Pre Spring collection that she wore to the 35th annual Cesar Film Awards last month. The ruffle and zipper detail at the hem back this dress absolutely divine, and we love the universally flattering halter shape. Since the frock is obviously a dream dress for the rest of us, of course we found you a smart substitute. Be sure to check out Express' Ruffled Halter Dress ($60) for your next evening event! And though we are happy to help you track down all her exact clothing and look-a-like alternatives, when it comes to replicating our Style Spotlight subject's exact brand of chic insouciance, unfortunately, dear readers, you are on your own!—KM
whowhatwear

Last edited by MissMagAddict; 04-04-2010 at 03:25 AM.

28-03-2010
V.I.P.

Quote:
It’s been known for a month or so that Lars Von Trier’s has been working on a disaster movie called Melancholia. The Danish auteur asked Penelope Cruz to take the lead role, but after viewing Breaking The Waves, Dancer in the Dark and Antichrist, she kindly said, “no, thanks.”

French site, Allo Cine, have it that Antichrist’s Charlotte Gainsbourg (an actor and singer who once did a duet with her famous father, Serge, called Lemon Incest) has plucked up the courage to accept the role instead, there’s no word yet if feminist-baiting self-mutilation is involved again. This is a first for Lars von Trier, who rather strangely has never worked with the same actress twice…wonder why that is, Lars?

Melancholia’s financial set-up is as dry as a very boring lecture on wicker basket making in 1770s Cornwall, but it’s a typical von Trier European co-production set up involving several countries, such as France, Germany, Denmark and their mortal enemy, Sweden…okay, maybe not mortal enemy.

Zentropa Ent. have released a solitary piece of concept art which depicts Earth being shadowed by a larger planet called Melancholia. Is it a metaphor? There are no other details of any kind other than it’s been called a, “psychological disaster movie”, it’s got a 10 million euro budget and Trier has been screaming at the press, “no more happy endings!”
http://www.filmshaft.com/news/charlo...n-trier-again/

V.I.P.

exciting, I think Antichrist was a very memorable acting performance. One of her better roles

31-03-2010
tfs star

Charlotte's on tour in the US in April, here's the list of dates and venues

http://www.charlottegainsbourg.com/#/live_en

I'm going to the Webster Hall show

31-03-2010
windowshopping

How couldn't she not win a academy for her role in The Antichrist? Really like her music too.

01-04-2010
V.I.P.

ELLE Russia April 2010

edit: Happy Together
Charlotte Gainsbourg et Nicolas Ghesquiere by Jean Baptiste Mondino
via ebook30.com

01-04-2010
backstage pass

gorgeous!!!!

01-04-2010
fashion elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonlightshadow View Post
How couldn't she not win a academy for her role in The Antichrist? Really like her music too.
I know.....it was absolutely the best female performance of the year.
Sandra Bullock?

02-04-2010
V.I.P.

Glamour Russia April 2010

journal-plaza.net

02-04-2010
V.I.P.

Harper's Bazaar Russia April 2010: Charlotte Gainsbourg et Nicolas Ghesquiere

via journal-plaza.net

04-04-2010
void( )

she's so perfect as muse for balenciaga.

V.I.P.

I watched this movie yesterday. She acts so well. Look at her expressions...

charlottegainsbourg.tumblr.com

V.I.P.

i love that scene so much

05-04-2010
V.I.P.

Yesterday I watched Antichrist. I didn't like the movie but I do think Charlotte was really incredible there

fashion insider

She looks so beautiful in the screencaps in my opinion.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
charlotte, gainsbourg