How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Star Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

03-12-2005
front row

03-12-2005
fashion elite

love the boots&skirt in the first pics.

03-12-2005
front row

She reminds me of Claire Danes.

03-12-2005
front row

from ONTD

03-12-2005
front row

wow, i am really impressed by her style. it's too bad that she's not famous enough for candid pictures yet cause i'd love to see what her casual wear is like. anyone know who designed the brown top and gold skirt in post #1 or the boots in post #18?

03-12-2005
V.I.P.

I read about her in Nylon a while ago, she is very stylish. She seems like the ideal Parisian girl.

03-12-2005
V.I.P.

She's slick. I like her style, and I don't mean just her clothes...

03-12-2005
front row

Have you read the books?
Following the advice of my mother, who is a teacher, I had read the book a while ago, and I loved it. I got really really hooked. So I read the first 4 books – in French – and I am a huge fan.

Have you read them in English?
No, I’ve never read them in English. I think when you read in English and it’s not your first language then some of the funny magical terms are hard to understand. It’s the kind of book you want to enjoy, so I’d rather read it in French. I never thought I would be in it. Then one day I was with a casting director in France that I knew quite well and he told me that he was doing the casting in Harry Potter. And he said “OK, come along, you may be too old for it”. But I still went and met Mike quite a while after that and that was it.

Was it an easy process becoming part of the Hogwarts thing?
Yeah, you’re in costume, surrounded by people in costume in wonderful sets. You’re in it! After the first day when it seems a bit weird, it just becomes your day-to-day job. You’ve got giants at the canteen with you and it just becomes.

What about Daniel, Emma and Rupert? Were there any initiation ceremonies?
No, it’s not like medical school! They’re very professional; they’re here to do their job and so are we. Most of my scenes are with Dan, not so much with Emma and Rupert, and he’s a great guy interested in lots of things politics, Rock music. You can talk about tons of things with him, and he’s a great guy.

What is the age difference between yourself and your character?
She’s supposed to be 17, I think, and I’m nearly 23, so it’s not such a massive age difference.

I gather that your character is a bit haughty.
You mean she’s a bit snobby?

Yeah.
She’s a bit cold. She’s the kind of girl I used to hate when I was in high school! She always has tons of people behind her, doing everything perfectly, which is impossible. I talked about it with Mike and said “Do you want it to be snobby?” and he was like “Oh, you know…” and I said, “She’s French right?” and he said “Yeah, exactly!” Mike has got a great sense of humour and that’s what’s in the book; she’s a bit of an image people might have about French girls!

We’d probably call her a bit of a madam?
Exactly! But then once you start filming, I just started acting and facing the situations as realistically and as truly as I could, not always keeping in mind that snobby thing because when you’ve lost your sister in a black lake and someone brings her back to you, then you’re happy, you’re not a snob. So she becomes a bit more human than she might appear at the beginning.

Were there certain things that you needed? She dances doesn’t she?
She dances yes. You have stunt people or choreographers around you telling you how to do it properly. That’s the luxury of that kind of film. You’ve got time to rehearse, to prepare youself, so by the time you start shooting you’re prepared.

Were you a dancer already?
Not at all, and she’s supposed to be a great dancer! What is scary is that all of the girls from the school were actually British dancers, and you have to better than they are and of course they are 10 times better than you are. But that’s the magic of movies I guess, and then editing. You can look a bit better than you actually are.

How physical did things get? There’s the maze…
Well the maze is just running around, and I guess the most challenging thing in the maze is the fear thing, exploring how deep you can go in that feeling and not knowing what’s going to be around the corner. Although the set was such a maze itself that you actually became a bit scared! The most physical thing I had to do was the underwater thing in the black lake. They built a huge, huge tank in there, and we had two weeks of training to learn how to scuba dive and you have to learn how to take your breather out, which is another experience! And then take your goggles off, so you're completely blind and acting underwater!

I imagine there were divers all around you.
Literally you go from one diver to another that puts you on an air breather, so it’s quite short. It’s just scary at first because you can’t see anything and you just hope that someone is going to give you a breather at some point, which they do because they need you for the end of the movie! It actually becomes a great experience.

So tell us a bit about your background, your English is actually perfect so there must be…
It’s not going to sound like that in the movie, I can tell you. I had to [puts on an accent] put on a very French accent! It’s so frustrating.

I was going to ask you about that, because you’ve got a very subtle accent and they probably wanted a bit more.
It’s written literally like that, with a “z” instead of a “th”, so you have to put on that French accent. After you work really hard to get a better English accent, but that’s part of the game! What was the question?

How do you have this terrific accent?
I went to a school where you learned English quite young with English and American teachers, which makes a huge difference. And we had like lessons in History and Geography in English and we had the possibility to go away on exchange programmes. Then I started working on films that were shot in English so I had absolutely no choice. I think I’m not good at maths, but I might be better at the accent!

You say you’ve done some English language films before, what have you done?
I’ve done something for the BBC, called Gunpowder, Treason and Plot. It was about Mary Stuart with Gillies MacKinnon. I did that right before I did Harry Potter and I think the show was out when they were casting so it was an extra help.

And what have you done back in France?
I’ve done a couple of TV movies, a couple of French films. Weirdly enough when I started working in England I started getting more scripts from French people, so I’ve just been working in France right now.

The French are generally seen as very guarded about their culture of film and a bit cynical to those who work outside of it?
I don’t think they are anymore. I see it with Harry Potter; people ask “Wow, what was it like?” You become a bit more interesting than you were before. I don’t think they’re as cynical as they used to be.

Are you ready to join this bandwagon? You’re a bit older and wiser than the others who are a bit younger.
Yeah, I guess, but the film isn’t on my shoulders. It’s just a clin d’oeil as you say in French, just a small thing. It’s cool to be part of a that kind of film once in your life.
And will you dub your own voice back into French?
Yeah I think so, I haven’t done it yet.

03-12-2005
front row

She refuses to give out her birthdate.
Her boyfriend is named Emrik, and they've been together for 7 years.
Loves to shop.
She likes Loïc Lantoine's songs.
Liks to go out with friends.
Loved the movie "History of Violence".
Likes to eat French patisserie.

• Born in 1982 in the suburbs of Paris, France.
  • Her father is a theatre actor and director with his own company, Théâtre Du Sable.
  • Her mother is a French teacher.
    Has a younger sister who is currently training to also be an actress.
  • Has always wanted to be an actress.
  • She and her sister were both always asking their father to give them a part.
  • First acted in one of her father's parts, at 14 years old. Was a 'two-lines' role.
  • Found an agent at the age of 16.
  • Acted in several French tv movies.
  • First true part in a movie in 2003, Bienvenue chez les Rozes. With French popular co-stars Carole Bouquet, Jean Dujardin and Lorànt Deutsch.
  • First role in English in BBC's Gunpowder, Treason and Plot. She played Mary, Queen of Scots.
  • Play in English was a real challenge for her.
  • Chosen to portray French witch Fleur Delacour in Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire.
  • Felt like the grandmother of the cast on Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire set.
  • Will be in 2006 in Le Grand Meaulnes, adaption of Alain Fournier's book. Her co-stars will be Jean-Baptiste Maunier (famous for Les Choristes) and Nicolas Duvauchelle.

03-12-2005
front row

from the FOTC forums

03-12-2005
front row

03-12-2005
Swim Upstream

I saw this girl playing Mary, Queen if Scots in a BBC Drama - she was good. Her style looks very lovely from what I can see in this thread. She looks great. I can't beleive a member said that her 'nose is a disgrace' - that is quite worrying actually. what exactly is disgraceful about it?

03-12-2005
front row

still from the above source

03-12-2005
front row

& with her boyfriend:

03-12-2005
front row

London Photocall

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags