How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Star Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

15-11-2011
windowshopping

Part 3 of 3

Quote:
BRANT II: Really?

GUINNESS: Yeah. It would be kind of fun. I always wanted to join the choir up in Harlem. They really know how to sing! Thatís really great. I like certain operas. Iím not very keen on Puccini. If I have to see another La BohŤme, Iím going to shoot myself. I mean, really. There are certain ones I love like the Ring [cycle], and I love Tristan und Isolde. I love Parsifal. I love Il Trovatore. I love all the Mozart operas. The Magic Flute bothers me because I just donít like it when thereís no recitative. They start talking in the middle. I donít like musicals for the same reason. Because when someone suddenly bursts into song in the middle of a sentence, you just think, Thatís weird. But I like it when the whole thing is sung.

BRANT II: I love The Marriage of Figaro.

GUINNESS: I can sing that from beginning to end And the Overture . . .

BRANT II: When I was little, I used to love the ballet. I thought it was so fantastic. I loved the costumes and everything.

GUINNESS: I love the costumes. But do you know what always bothered me? The sound of the thumping on the floor, where you hear their feet. And I didnít understand why there was no singing.

BRANT II: Is there anything youíre obsessed with right now?

GUINNESS: Iím obsessed by the Large Hadron Collider. I donít know why, but Iím normally obsessed by the same things, like French movies. I like to see the films of Jean-Luc Godard. Iím obsessed by the new [Alan] Hollinghurst book, which is incredible, and the latest Edward St. Aubyn book, called At Last. Thatís a really good one. What else . . . Gosh. Stoic philosophy. Seneca.

BRANT II: I love Seneca. I always give a quote thatís very interesting and very funny. ďFinding wealth an intolerable burden is the mark of an unstable mind.Ē

GUINNESS: Iím not completely a Stoic, because I think you have to have a healthy dose of something else. You donít want to be a complete Stoic. But I think theyíre actually marvelous. The ones who are really fascinatingóbut severeóare the ones who came before them. The Cynics. The Cynics believed that you shouldnít have anything at all, so they just lived from hand to mouth. They would give their discourses. They wouldnít have a home. They would eat if they were given food. Really austere. Can you imagine? Cynical means such a different thing now. And Iím obsessed with Roman EmperorsóTrajan, Hadrian, Marcus Aurelius . . . Iím actually also obsessed by Nero and Caligula because they were so awful. But Roman history is fascinating especially in light of whatís going on right now. Itís funny, because what people forget is tható

BRANT II: History repeats itself?

GUINNESS: Yes.

BRANT II: Well, you canít know where youíre going unless you look back.

GUINNESS: Precisely. You need to know where youíve come from . . .

BRANT II: Are there any clothes youíre obsessed with right now?

GUINNESS: I am obsessed by uniforms. And Chinese robes. Iím always obsessed by Chinese robes. Iíll wear them with this huge pair of platforms and an old swimsuit. And Iím completely obsessed with new technologies for making clothes. I like that science is being applied to clothes and will change what we wear.

BRANT II: Like, technologies for weaving intricate silks and things like that?

GUINNESS: Yes, but other extraordinary inventions, too. Like Iíve heard about a jacket where, if you hit the ground, a helmet comes up as protection. Itís cross-discipliningótaking something from the car industry and bringing it into fashion. Lee [Alexander McQueen] was heading in that direction. I mean, he really was.

BRANT II: I know you travel a lot. Where do you usually go for Christmas?

GUINNESS: Jesus, Iíve had some very strange Christmases lately. It used to be in St. Moritz every year.

BRANT II: I was in St. Moritz for Christmas this year. In fact, I was in St. Moritz three times this past year. I donít know why. I just kept going back for some reason.

GUINNESS: Well, I lived there for like 13 years. Thatís where I lived with Spyros [Niarchos] and the kids. I kind of miss that peace and quiet now. I donít like it when it gets terribly social, because itís just like that pressure to have to go to things. And Iím not very good at that. Sometimes I find social life very exhausting. I havenít had a real vacation in five years. Like, more than sort of five or six days. Itís just, like, I need a real good month in India or something like that. Just go and do some yoga on the top of a mountain. Take me to a wigwam.

Peter Brant II is a student and New YorkĖbased contributor.
(interviewmagazine.com/fashion/daphne-guinness)

16-11-2011
front row

Yes! I've been waiting to read this interview... thanks so much, Dear kitty!

V.I.P.

Gotham USA October 2011 ebook30

17-11-2011
tfs star

Happy to see The Glove since I've heard so much about it - I just love this cover. She looks stunning.

Via Cocoperez.com
Sorry about the source of the image but I couldn't find it anywhere else.

Last edited by glitterpeacock; 17-11-2011 at 01:15 PM.
17-11-2011
V.I.P.

^ Cool cover. Wish they had used that for UK Sept instead of Beyonce.

17-11-2011
trendsetter

I like that interview with Daphne. She's seems very self-aware, not just about herself and her place in society but also about her contribution to it. I'm glad I've read her other interviews though because some sentences make her sound like she takes for granted how privileged she is, when she doesn't. One of the things that I truly love about her is that she knows that she comes from an incredibly elitist world, but she also doesn't thumb her nose at those who don't live within her sphere. (I can't remember exactly what she said, but it was something like "why do everyone think being a fashionista is so important? I'd rather we had more sidewalk and street fixers. Those people are important too.")

18-11-2011
Making a Mess

Really great interview. Love the flow of conversation.

Peter did a fantastic job.

V.I.P.

Tatler Russia November 2011 Daphne Guinness by Nigh Knight ebook30

20-11-2011
tfs star

^ I wouldn't expect anything less from her.

V.I.P.

That cover is stunning, she looks beautiful and bewitching definitely my fav Dec cover

20-11-2011
trendsetter

There were some sad tweets from her on her twitter that are now deleted,
one saying "I have done my best. I want to die today. There is no point anymoreXXXX"
She's replied to some of the well wishes and concern being sent her way on twitter.

It's so sad that such talented intelligent people get to a point where they feel this way.
She lost two of her best friends to suicide within years of each other (Mcqueen-2010 and Blow-2007) and I do hope she is okay.

20-11-2011
trendsetter

Poor Daphne.

21-11-2011
V.I.P.

omg, that's scary, i hope everything's okay now. jeez.

i love that new photo, she looks fierce and yet classy.

V.I.P.

i hope she gets better soon, reading those lines on twitter was really scary...

21-11-2011
V.I.P.

Poor Daphne...I hope there are loved ones near...

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
daphne, guinness