How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Star Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

13-12-2011
tfs star

It's bizarre seeing her on the same page as the Hilton sisters.

13-12-2011
V.I.P.

that's so wrong indeed...

16-12-2011
front row

A new interview!

Quote:
"The thing about me is: I identify with fashion but I don't actually consider myself a fashion person," says Daphne Guinness. Instead, the aristocratic style icon and patron of couture insists, she is "more of an artist." That spirit shines through her most recent public project, a makeup collection produced in collaboration with MAC Cosmetics (and its Senior Vice President and Creative Director, James Gager). The 24-piece collection is both "very personal," drawing on inspiration from Guinness' life (including her childhood home in Spain) and very artistic (with references ranging from antique Chinese porcelain vases to the Old Masters to American painter James Whistler).
Guinness and Gager recently sat down with Stylelist at Miami's Soho Beach House to discuss the line, how she approaches makeup and why you might be seeing a Daphne Guinness-designed jewelry some time soon.

How did this collaboration come about? Have you been wanting to work with Daphne for a while?

Gager: Why wouldn't you want to work with her! In the world of fashion today, how many original people can you even think who come close to what Daphne represents? She supports the world of couture and the world of amazing designers that lots of people don't really understand. And for us, that's really, really significant.

Let's talk about some of the inspiration for the colors in the collection, and what it has meant for you to work on it.
Guinness: It starts probably in the year 750, and it ends with Whistler, I would say. You have a slight reference to China...and then with the names and the iridescence, it was really about the small particles being able to refract light and playing around with that.
I've collaborated with [MAC], but I'm not really in the industry, as it were. I tried to stave this off for as long as possible but I realized that I'm just not part of an industry in a way, because I think it takes a certain kind of brain and it's more in my head.

How do you approach makeup? What's your regimen like?
Guinness: Sporadic! Sometimes I use paint. Yesterday I was using nail polish as lipstick. It's just experiment after experiment. I'll mix one with another one to try to find the ones that I like. What was really great is the mascara I like using is MAC mascara, so that was a no-brainer for me. To me, I need to feel connected with the actual texture of something. It's different for everybody, different people connect with different things. Last week I was looking for something -- I swear I ran to about 60 places trying to find something. It becomes very specific, and you're always on the lookout for something that's just going to add something.

When did you start getting into makeup?
Guinness: At school. I was a punk, and so we wore a lot of black eyeliner and peroxided our hair quite a lot. But we didn't have enough pocket money to buy lots of makeup, so we'd go to the art department and mix it up there. That's the best way, actually!

You've spoken about using fashion as defense. Do you use makeup in the same way?
Guinness: No, I don't use it particularly as a defense because for me it's more of an artistic thing. I use other things as a defense. Makeup, not so much. I try to use it as an enhancement. I think some women do, but I don't have a specific regime.

Do you have a favorite item in the collection?
The Interior Life Eyeshadow Quad (pictured above). That I'm very happy with. Probably the only colors I really need for my eyes. If I put a lot of makeup on, I start looking very, very made up. Another thing is, makeup can be very aging. And I've tried to keep it so that it was more shading, and would just enhance various areas rather than this full mask.

What was it like working together? What was the process like?
Gager: When Daphne came to the office, she had a little watercolor kit with her in her bag, and she pulled it out and she had some paper and she started literally painting for us. It was amazing to watch, and then I got into it. We were both kind of like little kids doing little color swatches and then cutting them out...Out of mess comes something fantastic.
Guinness: Everywhere I live, I've got tables full of paint and stuff. I thought that's what everybody did!
Gager: It was a real person coming in with a point of view. One who has an amazing color sense, and an artist that wanted to be involved in the process and not just let a company create things and say, 'I like it or I don't like it.' That kind of experience is what I believe teamwork and creativity is all about, creating something that everybody can really be proud of. And also when we do a collaboration with somebody I want them to work on the names, I want them to help select the photographer, because if I was doing it for another company I wouldn't want to do it unless I could really say, 'This is me and this is what I stand behind.'
Guinness: Because how else could you really talk about it? The process is the thing, it's the most fun thing. In fact, one hates the process ending.
Gager: It's kind of like preparing for a party, getting ready for the party sometimes is much nicer than the actual party. Because then it's over, and I'm like, aww, I want to do it again!
Guinness: Also, I hate the party. I like getting prepared. That's my favorite thing!

So are you thinking of working together again?
Gager: If Daphne's willing, we would love to do a follow-up, because I don't think she's short of ideas. Also, I think her point of view on color the next time around might be different because she's a very creative person that's constantly growing and changing, and so is the world of color.

Daphne, in addition to this collaboration, you've been working on the FIT exhibit. Are you taking a break or what's next?
Guinness: A lot of things, actually. I've been drawing a lot of different pieces of metal things, jewels and stuff.
source: stylelist.com

V.I.P.

Does anyone know if her MAC Collection is in stores yet in North America, specifically Canada? Need to know if I can put it on my Christmas list. :p

Fashion: Don’t you recognize me? Death: You should know that I don’t see very well and I can’t wear glasses. Fashion: I’m Fashion, your sister. Death: My sister? Fashion: Yes. You and I together keep undoing and changing things down here on earth although you go about it in one way and I another. Giacomo Leopardi, “Dialogue Between Fashion and Death.”abridged
17-12-2011
V.I.P.

did you guys see her new book? had a look in it yesterday... its beautiful! especially her mother!

front row

Not Plain Jane, I read somewhere that it's coming out on the 26th, Boxing Day. Sorry to hear it can't make your Christmas List. What a perfect present!

KKnardi, I bought it some time ago and it's an interesting read. I also liked the huge pictures because the better glimpse you could get at her jewelery. Medium res pictures on a computer screen just aren't the same. Her clothes might look just black and white from afar but it's all detail detail detail.

front row

Sorry for the double post... but I just found this and I wanted to share.

Making a Mess

^ I will definitely be at Mac on the 26th to check out her collection (and I don't even wear Mac makeup ).

tfs star

I'm not that keen on the collection from what I can see. Too shimmery and it seems a bit cheap to just re-release past pigments.
I read on some website recently that she's started using nail polish for lipstick. That's one tip I won't be trying.

V.I.P.

^ I know. Nail polish as lippy - YUCK no thanks.

Thanks for posting that interview anina.

20-12-2011
front row

The lipstick comment is really confusing. Isn't she concerned about risking her health?! I'm sure she could be able to find a similar shade/texture in an actual lipstick. And I trust that if that failed she'd be fully able to mix up her own! What with all the scents she makes for herself... It seems like she said it just for shock value, true or not.

I'm not sure I like this route she's taking, saying things just for the sake of shaking people up.

ETA: My pleasure, Label_Basher!

Last edited by anina; 20-12-2011 at 01:11 PM.
21-12-2011
front row

Sorry for the double post, guys!

Quote:
Daphne Guinness is the iconic model for 'Future Couture' - a live shoot featuring the finest of Spring/Summer 2012 fashion mixed with Guinness' own legendary haute couture wardrobe and captured by Nick Knight. The resulting images will form the centrepiece of the fashion windows of Paris' Le Printemps department store, the final evolution of which will be unveiled in February Paris Fashion Week
http://showstudio.com/project/future_couture

(Just follow the link for a video. Sorry, I don't know how to embed videos from showstudio..)

fashion elite

Photographer: Bryan Adams
Styling: Lotta Aspenberg
Hair: Leonardo Manetti
Make-up: Kabuki
Nails: Alicia Torello
Setdesign: Andrea Huelse

vogue.de

27-12-2011
V.I.P.

she looks incredible in the third pic, totally unrecognizable...

27-12-2011
V.I.P.

Will Daphne Guinness Put Isabella Blow's Collection on Display in 2012?

A tweet this afternoon from Daphne Guinness is giving the fashion world hope.
The future of Isabella Blow's world-famous collection—which was assembled by Blow over the course of her life and includes one-of-a-kind pieces from Alexander McQueen, Balmain, Chanel, Oscar de la Renta, Hauliuetrige, Gareth Pugh and Rick Owens—has hung in the balance since 2010 when Daphne Guinness, who was close friends with both Blow and McQueen, saved the collection from the auction block and scooped it up in its entirety. She has since then been looking for a way to honor Blow and her unparalleled collection of couture.

A handful of garments from Guinness's vault were brought to daylight in the windows of Barney's department store last year, where Guinness put them on temporary display in conjunction with her party-prep as performance art piece preceding the 2011 Met Gala, which honored McQueen. “I thought, Lee [McQueen] will be at the Met, Izzy had got to be somewhere,” Guinness told WWD.

This afternoon, she announced to her 30,000 Twitter followers that something's brewing:
I Will have news about Isabella Blow's collection. I am excited to be able at last to do her justice!
Coming on the heels of the frenzied McQueen exhibition at the Met, a display of any kind featuring the names "McQueen" and "Blow" is bound to be a ****show (a ****show of the best kind, obviously).
One thing's for sure: Whatever she's got planned, it's not going to be understated.

racked.com

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
daphne, guinness