How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Star Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

27-12-2011
trendsetter

Interesting. I hope if there is a show of Isabella's clothes, the exbition book will be produced properly and show the damn clothing. It's really been pissing me off that costume institutes from various countries and places have been half-assing photographing the clothing on exhibit and instead lazily just gathering up a collection of person wearing clothing and only showing scant pieces from the exhibition. (Looking squarely at you Daphne. And she's not the only one guilty of this.)

27-12-2011
Power to the 99%

Quote:
Originally Posted by wild roses View Post
Interesting. I hope if there is a show of Isabella's clothes, the exbition book will be produced properly and show the damn clothing. It's really been pissing me off that costume institutes from various countries and places have been half-assing photographing the clothing on exhibit and instead lazily just gathering up a collection of person wearing clothing and only showing scant pieces from the exhibition. (Looking squarely at you Daphne. And she's not the only one guilty of this.)
I've been to exhibits where the clothing was from archives, and to exhibits where it was from real women's closets. If the clothes have been worn, I think pictures of the person wearing them are probably preferable. The clothes without the person are really missing something IMO ... they seem lonely. It's probably difficult to get hold of the pictures of people wearing specific pieces, especially if many decades have passed ... possibly easier to swoop through the exhibit with a camera.

27-12-2011
tfs star

I just got the McQueen book that went along with the exhibit and the photography is gorgeous. I hope it's something along those lines since Issie's clothes were just as theatrical.
Fingers crossed Daphne does put them on display!

V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
I Will have news about Isabella Blow's collection. I am excited to be able at last to do her justice!
So exciting. I read all 3 Izzy bio's this year. Got a bit obsessed. I have my fingers crossed for London.

31-12-2011
V.I.P.

Tatler January 2012 (Russia) ebook30

02-01-2012
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fashionista-ta View Post
I've been to exhibits where the clothing was from archives, and to exhibits where it was from real women's closets. If the clothes have been worn, I think pictures of the person wearing them are probably preferable. The clothes without the person are really missing something IMO ... they seem lonely. It's probably difficult to get hold of the pictures of people wearing specific pieces, especially if many decades have passed ... possibly easier to swoop through the exhibit with a camera.
Those are good points. However, it seems like even the dead people exhibits are getting skimped over. (Princess Grace's wardrobe was featured in not one but two major clothing exhibits, and both catalogues only show scant pictures of her outfits.)

02-01-2012
trendsetter

I got the book "Daphne Guiness" by her and Valerie Steele for christmas, it's great for any admirers out there I'd reccomend it!

02-01-2012
tfs star

See, I was choosing between the Daphne book or the McQueen book and the reviews for the Daphne book said it was full of photos we've already seen and interviews about things she likes to eat and read. Is that true?

trendsetter

My birthday was a month earlier so I got Mcqueen then,
and if I were choosing between the two I would definitely go for McQueen because that book is something you will keep, read and treasure forever.
But yes there are many photos you've probably seen before but its still a lovely hard cover coffee table book.
And the written content is just Daphne on a range of different things from marriage to choice of shoes, her influential fashion friends to her preferred scent. it's still interesting in my opinion and worth getting it you'd like a nice compilation of her life and style to date

02-01-2012
tfs star

You're right, the McQueen book is just glorious.
I'd love a book about Daphne with photographs of her collection of couture and jewellery...or perhaps something in the style of the Olsen twins' book.

front row

Daphne photographed as David Bowie by Bryan Adams for German Vogue - http://jezebel.com/5872725/daphne-gu...dams/gallery/2

05-01-2012
tfs star

^ These are really great, thank you!

V.I.P.

Wow- I don't remember this!! All the tag says is Fashion Week/Daphne/Barney's...

Refinery29.com

06-01-2012
V.I.P.

How very pin-up of Daphne.

Fashion: Donít you recognize me? Death: You should know that I donít see very well and I canít wear glasses. Fashion: Iím Fashion, your sister. Death: My sister? Fashion: Yes. You and I together keep undoing and changing things down here on earth although you go about it in one way and I another. Giacomo Leopardi, ďDialogue Between Fashion and Death.Ēabridged
06-01-2012
Making a Mess

^^ Looks like she forgot her pants . I always thought she had hot pants on underneath that jacket but guess not.

I still love the look regardless. I'm pretty sure Daphne is one of only a handful of people who could attend an event wearing no bottoms .

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
daphne, guinness