How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Star Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

08-09-2012
front row

I've been catching up on Daphne's tweets and it's really exciting, that she's at GrouseLodge recording a single. No wonder she's been a bit awol. I like how she's expanding her horizons and doing something this unexpected!There's no stopping our Daphne!

21-09-2012
front row

She went to the NYC Ballet Gala last night and wore "Contra Mundum" as well as an African inspired neck piece. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz...=feeds-newsxml

04-10-2012
V.I.P.

Magazine: Beauty Rebel
Issue: #1 September 2012
Editorial: Rebel With A Cause
Model: Daphne Guinness |Women Model Management|
Hair: Valentino Longo
Stylist: Ms Guinness
Photographer: Joseph Lally

designscene.net

front row

Yesterday I found out about her collaborating with watch maker Roger Dubuis. Exciting! So I managed to find a little time Today dig up some more info on that.

Quote:
The Time Has Come

Within the world of watches lives Roger Dubuis. The relatively young brand, born in 1995, lives in a sphere of conceptual creativity that embraces the creation of watches for tomorrow, today. And what better way to express that vision than by designating sub-worlds for their collections— worlds that speak to the movement, if you will, of the life of the wearer. To that end, and in an effort to better express what those worlds are really all about, specific personalities have been brought on, dubbed rather, the reigning ambassadors of each world individually. And while some may relate best to the Warrior world of Gerard Butler, others will appreciate the subtle divinity of the World of the Diva, home of the Velvet collection, under the rule of The Hon. Daphne Guinness.
Guinness’ posh persona is one noted, if not lauded by most. Towering high on the heelless platforms of her footwear, she generally embraces a well-edited look that’s consistent in its uniqueness. That consistency is what allows for Guinness to work in such great tandem with Roger Dubuis, for consistency and a knack for sticking to what’s great means that Guinness allows little wiggle room for what’s not up to par.
Her taste, experience and exposure, one might say, allow her the ability to act as a judge in this manner. She knows what’s quality from what’s just not; and beauty she’s mastered as well, but luckily, there’s a higher standard of measurement for Guinness when it comes to watches: “I’ll not wear a watch until it’s right; I prefer my wind up from when I was a kid,” she explains leaving nothing to chance. “It’s the intricacy of the interior that I find very interesting, the decoration comes after; and Roger Dubuis is so serious about the movement.”
To paint a better picture, Guinness uses an analogy that catches our attention in a new way; in a way a brand ambassador has never expressed, “[The movement] is a metaphor for life or it’s a metaphor for the universe, it really is.”
Now we’re talking
For Daphne Guinness the lending of her name to something that didn’t resonate in such a way is practically unheard of. And there’s a reason why this particular marriage works. It turns out that Roger Dubuis and Ms. Guinness share many crucial things in common: Both require stringent levels of commitment to excellence where it really matters, in the movement.

The equivalent of a hallmark, every Roger Dubuis timepiece is signed with the Poinçon de Genève; and while there are many hallmarks in London, as Guinness explained to us, this particular group of experts-oftheir- craft are chosen to designate this honor to only the very best.
History lessons continued: “It’s like the masons that were the stone makers of the 12th, 13th and 14th century all over Europe…In order to tell if you were a sort of good stone mason or a bad stone mason you were part of a guild—a group of people that are known to do what they do in the best way, it’s like a kind of degree of some sort.”
The extra steps taken to keep the authenticity attracted Guinness to the project initially, but a first hand account was mandatory; and so, she packed up and flew to the factory where she was pleased to learn that, as she had expected, it was an impressive operation of quality-of-construction and dedication to an art. “These people know what they’re doing; they’re not just some cowboys that have set up a watch factory…And it’s interesting to see who they are, as some are quite young and some quite old and they each work on one piece, spread across a table, and then they put it back together.”

This impressed Guinness purely due to the simple fact that “very few people know exactly what they’re doing.” She also recognizes that while she maintains an interest in barometers and such, it’s sort of dormant to those who aren’t in the know and elegantly reminds me that, “some people, who buy watches just to show off, wouldn’t know [about such things].”
Similarly of concern to Guinness is the preciseness of time. “In what time are we?” she asks, “Are we in space time?” To that question Roger Dubuis provides an answer by taking into consideration such inconsistencies of time as the leap year and the variations in years because as we all know, “the Julian calendar is off.”
She continues moving swiftly from the inside out, commenting on the appearance, “So many watches at the high-end look very similar, but this team loves what they do and they’re ready to take risks; so I felt privileged to be there and learn with them—I wish I could make a watch.”
The Velvet collection for which Guinness is the ambassadress launches this November, and while her role in the execution was limited this time around, there’s talk that the partnership may flourish, meaning deeper involvement, the mention of which makes her eyes glimmer with the shine of Dubuis diamonds.

“Time is something that people haven’t looked up enough.” This statement delivered with such matter-of-factness that there was only room for more supporting facts to follow. “The Theory of Relativity; how we look at space; how we measure human life; it’s all tied up with time and before people came up with an actual gauge of time or timepiece, it was very difficult to measure [time]…It’s a different dimension of humanity.”
The idea being that an interest in time is one that stands outside of just everyday uses such as for keeping time at sporting events, which she referenced as an example. Instead she considers time a measure of the universe and an essential part of human history. Perhaps this is why so many watch brands pride themselves on the length of their existence, equating longevity with value. Whilst Roger Dubuis, a younger being, approaches excellence in a different way, embracing the universe and working towards an accurate measure always. In turn, timepiece manufacturers create an aesthetic component to time, taking something seemingly intangible and encasing it in a product that people grow to have a relationship with. In fact, time may be perceived quite differently based on said relationship with your timepiece. If somebody gifted you a timepiece, for instance, the love affair with such an object can affect the way you live in time when wearing it. And this goes on through generations, as a watch of quality passed down to loved ones lives beyond us as individuals. “Time is infinite, but we are not infinite in it,” Guinness reminds me.
As objects, Roger Dubuis timepieces are perfect examples of the kind of watches meant to stand the test of time, (pun intended). “They are durable and mechanical but definitely not disposable; it’s about their dedication to the interior,” Guinness maintains, in her consistent nature, adamant about highlighting the beauty that lies within a Roger Dubuis. “It’s a high-end watch that can be used by a business person or someone who’s more artistic and it will work the same way; performers, photographers, all able to enjoy… they aren’t just for a person of a certain lifestyle (here Ferraris were mentioned); they’re cool.”

And the aesthetic of the watches themselves is not the only visual representation of their beauty. For the campaign featuring Guinness, she collaborated with photographer Nick Knight whom she’s worked closely with in the past and was thrilled to embark on another journey with knowing that things would work smoothly between them and that their message would be delivered.
The images, styled by Guinness, are beautiful and the references are subtle. A trapeze shot, for instance, was meant to illustrate the precision of time required to properly execute the art of the trapeze. “The idea of art and time is something that is perceived and Nick and I worked organically to show that you can do many things…it’s better to work with people with whom you know what you are going to get.”
Beyond her current duties, and as she looks to the ones to come in her role with Roger Dubuis, Guinness ponders her self-imposed responsibility to the brand, “I reckon that I am very hard on myself so if I make something that I can actually say, ‘Oh, I did that,’ then I think I did my best and I have a responsibility to speak the truth.”
We expect great things from her partnership with Roger Dubuis, as she’s obviously passionate about the nuts and bolts of the situation far more than what leather she’d choose for a strap if she does in fact participate in that capacity going forward; and when asked to comment on the idea of forward thinking design, which has always been the Roger Dubuis way, she eloquently expressed, “The time has come.”

Velvet Fine Jewelry
This watch is synonymous with the absolute. Absolute as a watchmaker, absolute as a jeweler: the Velvet Fine Jewelry model in white gold is a watch that is dedicated to all the savoir-faire of ROGER DUBUIS. A symbol of technical alchemy and preciosity, it is set with 1,300 diamonds to give a total of some 9 carats. At its heart beats the RD 821 automatic mechanical movement. Its exceptional universe comprised of femininity, glamour and glitter places it securely in the spirit of the Diva.
Automatic RD821 Movement
Its RD821 self-winding mechanical movement meets the exacting criteria of Fine Watchmaking. Hallmarked with the prestigious Poinçon de Genève, it has also been awarded COSC chronometer certification by the Contrôle Officiel Suisse des Chronomètres. A twofold guarantee of craftsmanship and precision that distinguishes only a rare few mechanical movements.
by Jilian Sanz October 25, 2012
source: http://www.hauteliving.com/2012/10/t...s-come/320792/

http://www.rogerdubuis.com/en/collec...ddbve0002.html

front row

Sorry for the double post, but I found more pics on the Roger Dubuis site. Cropped them up from the black background so they're not absolutely huge.

Last edited by anina; 01-11-2012 at 07:54 AM. Reason: eta: source http://www.rogerdubuis.com/en/roger_dubuis/friends_of_the_brand/daphne_guinness/
01-11-2012
front row

Wowzers! She looks amazing in this campaign. Love the rose gold watch too. Thanks for posting!

06-11-2012
V.I.P.

Anyone know does she has her own hairstylist? Imo she must have to wash her hair every day and then done by professional hairstyler. If not, I have no idea how could she sleep normal with her hair looking like that.

12-11-2012
V.I.P.

fashiongonerogue.com

13-11-2012
V.I.P.

Magazine: Harper's Bazaar China
Published: December 2012
Cover Model: Daphne Guinness
Photography by David LaChapelle

designscene.net

V.I.P.

Harper's Bazaar China December 2012

Daphne Guinness
Photographer:
David Lachapelle
Stylist: Daphne Guinness
Producer: Shawn Spillett
Hair: Laurent Phillipon
Make-Up: Sharon Gault
Set: Casey Lee Wanlass

V.I.P.

scanned by JoeHsiang

fashion elite

The video is awesome. In the first seconds of the vid you see her with her hair down, I love it, she looks younger/fresher. She should let her hair down more often in public!

10-02-2013
front row

Have people moved elsewhere to share stuff or are things just going slow? I feel like this thread is dying.

Daphne & Philip

Just a short clip @
http://showstudio.com/project/milking_mayfair

showstudio

Last edited by anina; 10-02-2013 at 10:50 AM. Reason: yt video
12-02-2013
V.I.P.

^ Thanks for those! I talk to Daphne on Twitter all the time and she has been pretty busy with moving out of her apartment and all- not very active on the event circuit for the moment...

22-02-2013
front row

Quote:
Daphne Guinness Sings the Blues

February 21, 2013 12:29 pm

Artist, producer, muse—all words that describe Daphne Guinness. But soprano? Well, there’s a bolt from the blue. Last night, Guinness unveiled her first single (on vinyl, no less), “Fatal Flaw,” at Nick Knight’s SHOWstudio in London’s Belgravia neighborhood—a fitting setting for the reveal, as Knight actually filmed and live-streamed Guinness singing opera last year. (The shoot resulted in five short films that were played in the windows of the French department store Printemps.) Yesterday evening’s event also served as the opening of SHOWcabinet, an intensely personal display case within the SHOWstudio gallery (consider it like an old-time curiosity cabinet) where artists present objects that have mattered throughout their lives.

Guinness is the first to take a turn in Knight’s SHOWcabinet, and the pieces on view indeed tell the story of her life: an ornate armored glove that she created over the span of five years in collaboration with Shaun Leane, a beloved Gareth Pugh leather cage jacket, and some works from Percy Bysshe Shelley and Shakespeare—her constant companions over the years.

Here, in an exclusive interview, Guinness and Knight speak with Style.com about why she decided to bare her soul—and her vocal chords.
—Afsun Qureshi

Daphne, who knew you were a singer, and a soprano no less. Did you have any formal training?
Daphne Guinness: I wasn’t trained at all—I just made the song up, by mistake actually. If anything, I probably trained myself by listening over the years. I have a four-and-a-half-, nearly five-octave range. I probably should have had extra lessons as a child, as I am certain my family heard my potential, but I didn’t. I was in the choir as a schoolgirl, but really, it is all self-taught.

Why music now?
DG: After children, I had a break in my top range, as my diaphragm dropped because it naturally stretched out. I couldn’t make that jump to singing smoothly. Holding a note is a very difficult thing—you have to use your whole body to achieve a perfect pitch. So my singing languished a bit, but it has always been there. I know it sounds ridiculous when I say I am not a fashion person, because of course I am, but music has a complete effect on me, and the time was ripe to reacquaint myself with it. I suppose I am known for being very visual, but I realized that, for me, it’s all about sound.

Nick Knight: What is interesting is that very few people know that music and sound are really a fundamental part of you. But I do think there is a lot of crossover in the senses, especially with sound and sight. For instance, when I am creating an image, I am actually subliminally looking for a tone or sound, which I don’t hear, but see. So when I get a great picture, in fact I am hearing this perfectly harmonious sound. It’s almost like I am tuning one of my pictures like an instrument. So there is a lot of swap-over between the senses. Unfortunately, we are so conditioned to use one sense for one thing, when actually it is a whole mixture of senses at play in an artistic process.

Your single is called “Fatal Flaw.” Do you think you have one?
DG: Everyone has a fatal flaw—it’s universal. I suppose it’s been said that I am flawed because my lyrics are too personal, but I do think that anything that is real and comes from the soul would resonate with anybody. I think if a person can stand by their words—and not a lot can—and live true to themselves, it is OK, even important, to be personal. Everyone in life has been through certain things, and all I did was make life experiences rhyme through a song.

Why did you decide to put “Fatal Flaw” on vinyl?
DG: I missed vinyl! It is a very visual thing, and a person can actually see where the next track is coming from. I mean, you can literally feel the groove, and I do touch the records all the time. God knows I have scratched so many over the years. I also like vinyl because it doesn’t sound as tinny as the other stuff—that tinny-ness drives me mad. Vinyl can give real depth and a thicker sound.

Who is on your playlist now?
DG: The Doors, Jefferson Airplane, Bach, Philip Glass, Ravi Shankar, some Chinese music, Bob Dylan, Leonard Cohen. [Laughs] I really don’t know anything past 1981.
Photo: Courtesy of SHOWstudio; cover shot by Nick Knight
source: http://www.style.com/stylefile/2013/...ngs-the-blues/

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
daphne, guinness