How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Star Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

22-02-2013
trendsetter

I like Daphne but I can only roll my eyes that she put out a record. Now, I'll have to think of her in the same category as Princess Stephanie and that housewife countess, who let their self-discoveries and journeys cross over into musical tackiness. Ugh. Get out of your self-important box Daphne and realize there is a wider world outside of you!

23-02-2013
front row

The asking price is pretty outrageous. I mean £100 for a 7in single? I know it's a "limited edition" thing but still, I can't justify the price to myself. It's not unusual for musicians/bands who are starting out to have 500 copies printed and give half of them away for free, just to get their name out there in the business. Daphne's already known. I don't know much about vinyl, but is it really such a costly process to produce?

I did like the showstudio collaboration where she sung the tracks for the fashion videos, because it was such a suprise to me. Which is what she represents to me, the unexpected.

Oh well, waiting for the music video neverthless. I'll have to experience the song first to be able to judge, but still this route she chose seems and feels sort of predictable, which is pretty boring to me. Why is there no smiley for being on the fence? We'll see.

Thanks for your comment, wild roses, it gave me food for thought. I think it's good to keep the conversation going, since this thread has seemed to be a bit dead for a while.

trendsetter

She hasn't been doing much though, fashion-wise.

The thing is, I'm not against self-discovery but it seems like every. single. interview. Daphne does these days is "I'm so deep and meaningful because I read philosophy, history, and science. Oh, and I'm exploring my personality. So I'm doing a documentary. Oh, now I'm releasing a record. Just because I'm rich doesn't mean I'm just a socialite. I care about more than being at events. I met with XYZ artist yesterday and we discussed dark matter and mysticism and how it relates to films being made today."

I. Get. It. Daphne. Now, take all your intellect and put it towards something that will actually have a wide impact on people, and not just your ego. She's sooooo determined to not be thought of a socialite, that she is...basically acting like one. She could be actively using her knowledge to benefit charities or underdeveloped countries...and instead she's using it... to put out a album. And, quite frankly, she lives in such a bubble where people coddle and praise her, she's going to think putting out a record is being amazing, when it's just making her tacky.

I like her a lot less these days. Even her fashion seems super-calculated. (We all know she's thinking "I want people to think about what my clothing symbolizes and the deeper meanings it holds in culture." )

25-02-2013
V.I.P.

Daphne's career goal was to be an opera singer before she met her husband to be, and she trained for quite a long time; and about her intellectual pursuits- she is unbelievably well read and knowledgeable on many subjects, from literature and classical music to art and fashion history; I think all of that being mentioned in interviews is just who she is, not trying to appear as something she is not ...

Edit: She has also backed several young artists and designers to enable them to develop their talents.

Last edited by Boomer; 25-02-2013 at 11:38 AM.
25-02-2013
Power to the 99%

Quote:
Originally Posted by wild roses View Post
I like Daphne but I can only roll my eyes that she put out a record. Now, I'll have to think of her in the same category as Princess Stephanie and that housewife countess, who let their self-discoveries and journeys cross over into musical tackiness. Ugh. Get out of your self-important box Daphne and realize there is a wider world outside of you!
i would need to hear it before i can judge it.

26-02-2013
fashion elite

^ i agree. I think many people forget (and this has been stated recently in this thread) she is actually a singer so I do think that she will at least product something that isn't auto tuned into robotic territory.

08-06-2013
front row

Well, this took a while. But it's here.

V.I.P.

^no comment, i shall just enjoy her style

08-06-2013
tfs star

Sounds like a Nico imitator. Yeah, I'm going to pretend that doesn't exist.

fashion elite

^ OMG! i was just thinking about how much she sounded like Nico!

08-06-2013
backstage pass

I was expecting something completely different from her. I have to say I'm quite disappointed with the song, she actually sounds a lot like Nico and in some parts the music resembles too much "All tomorrow's parties" by The Velvet Underground.

10-06-2013
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by misspistol View Post
Yeah, I'm going to pretend that doesn't exist.
Same here.

V.I.P.

I like the harper's bazaar spread but it's a lil freaky... maybe too freaky for my taste tho

V.I.P.

Haute Living And Roger Dubuis Dinner Hosted By Daphne Guinness December 4, 2012

zimbio

16-06-2013
V.I.P.

Roger Dubuis Booth At The 23rd Salon International De La Haute Horlogerie: Day 2, January 22, 2013 in Geneva, Switzerland

zimbio

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
daphne, guinness