How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Star Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

11-07-2012
V.I.P.

^I agree I dont like this look, it really looks like she forgot to get dressed but her face looks beyond gorgeous in those pics. The white and silver shift dress is really cute though

12-07-2012
fashion elite

her figure looks almost like a cartoon in that alaia dress. like it's so perfect it can't possibly exist on a human being, but then again her face does too. lol.

12-07-2012
V.I.P.

More from the Jacob & Co. gala (July 6th 2012):

celebutopia

12-07-2012
Mr. Magic

Quote:
Diane Kruger is no stranger to a high profile role (the former fashion model turned actress famously portrayed Helen of Sparta in Troy in 2004); this weekend, the German beauty will celebrate her 36th birthday with the opening of Benoit Jacquot’s film, Farewell, My Queen, in which Kruger takes on the court of Versailles—and an all-female love triangle—as a wan and wanton Marie Antoinette, in the final four days before the outbreak of the French Revolution.

How does one prepare for the role of the Queen?
She’s kind of borderline schizophrenic in this film, which was really difficult to portray because the movie is about her, but you don’t see her all that often. No scene has a direct link with the next; every scene was so extreme in all directions, so you try your best to make her as nuanced and as different as you can.

Was there some particular nuance you were set on capturing?
I wanted to make sure you see her journey, in those four days, from being this capricious, superficial young girl to becoming a queen, finally, even though it was too late.

You’re fluent in three languages. Do you go into a different psyche, or mood, when you’re in a French-speaking role, like this one, as opposed to English or German?
Well, yes, whenever my German accent comes out, my boyfriend knows he needs to shut up. It’s like, “shut up now.” [laughs] This was 18th century French, so it felt very foreign to me. There were moments when I didn’t feel like myself at all.

There were rumors of Marie Antoinette being a lesbian. Between women, do you think desire and eroticism can extend beyond the physical?
I certainly couldn’t imagine having a physical relationship with a woman per se, but when two women have an attraction for each other, whether mentally or just that they get along, it seems to be more complex in a way. I don’t know why that is.

Is there a period of dress you admire most? How does 18th century court dressing rank in your book?
It’s a little complicated for my taste! It was very restricting; I was a little worried about it in the beginning and was like, “How am I ever going to act with this stuff?” But of all the periods, I’m most inspired by the fifties or late forties.

Mr. Lagerfeld is like a father figure to you. Did he give you any advice for this movie?
It’s not so much advice. But, for example, he’s obsessed with Versailles—I actually went to a concert with him in Versailles once, to see Vanessa Paradis. He knows every painting that is in Versailles, who was in the painting, who commissioned the painting. So, I picked his brains so much about this movie.

The dress also has a story.
Exactly. For example, he said make sure that the costumes were not too great, because this is the end of this era and money was tight and even Marie Antoinette had to reuse old dresses to rework into new ones, so it was definitely a period where things started to look a little shabby.

Just a tinge!
It was no longer the era where she had a bow in her hair, you know.
wmagazine.com

(IT'S GOING DOWN
ô)
MENS Runway Model Showlists - Mens RTW S/S 2015

12-07-2012
girl who fell to earth

that pajama look may be the worst she's ever looked for me..

14-07-2012
V.I.P.

French Consulate Screening Of "Farewell, My Queen" held at Laemmle's Royal Theatre - July 13, 2012

tlfan.to (posted by silkecut)

14-07-2012
windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvedansen View Post
French Consulate Screening Of "Farewell, My Queen" held at Laemmle's Royal Theatre - July 13, 2012
such a lovely face but her hair is looking so damaged. nice outfit, though.

14-07-2012
V.I.P.

^ Very cool outfit indeed. I agree her hair does look a bit damaged. Probably just need a deep conditioning treatment.

Eww on second viewing I HATE that Marchesa from the Jacob & Co gala. What was she thinking.

15-07-2012
V.I.P.

Grabbing a bite to eat at a Gelson's Supermarket in Los Angeles - July 14, 2012

15-07-2012
V.I.P.

she manages to look chic in sweatpants!

15-07-2012
V.I.P.

^that's true, so in love with her outfit in post 261

15-07-2012
backstage pass

It's her birthday today, she's 36.
Happy birthday, Diane!

15-07-2012
tfs star

When is her film premiering in France? I can't wait to see what she wears there.
Her USA appearances have been fine, the knitted gown looks like it was stitched onto her, no wonder it's an Alaia. Wonder what Karl thinks...

16-07-2012
V.I.P.

^ Sorry it's already opened in France. When I was in Paris I went to Versailles on a tour my tour guide told me she had seen the film and that it was really interesting.

16-07-2012
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvedansen View Post

awesome outfit

and she looks even stunning in sweatpants. how does she manage this?!

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2012, 2013, diane, kruger