How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Star Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

07-12-2012
backstage pass

She looks stunning!

10-12-2012
V.I.P.

Max (Bulgaria) November, 2012
photography by Scott Nathan
cointreau photography by Ali Mahdavi

pocketvenus.wordpress.com

V.I.P.

Dita Von Teese performs at LIV Nightclub
LIV Nightclub, Miami Beach, Florida

V.I.P.

con...

V.I.P.

Dita Von Teese on Cosmopolitan India - December 2012

missmalini.com

V.I.P.

Miami Beach, FL – December 7, 2012 – Fontainebleau Miami Beach hosted a cocktail party last night in celebration of photographer Matthew Rolston’s new book, Talking Heads: The Vent Haven Portraits. In Talking Heads, Rolston turns his eye for portraiture to a new cast of characters, a rarely seen collection of unique entertainment figures – ventriloquist dummies. The event featured a book signing and exhibition of six large scale prints from the book that measure 5ft by 5ft and a special appearance by Dita Von Teese.

worldredeye.com

V.I.P.

Telegraph.co.uk: Dita Von Teese’s designs on fashion
Burlesque performer Dita Von Teese has released a capsule range of five dresses, all of which take inspiration from her glamorous personal style.
BY Bibby Sowray

Dita Von Teese has become quite the jack-of-all-trades – burlesque performer, model, author, actress, stocking maker, cosmetics guru, lingerie expert and now designer.

The raven-haired, scarlet-lipped beauty has dipped her toe in the fashion design waters with a capsule collection of five dresses; the VIP Coat, the Bon Bon Dress, the Follow Me Dress, the Second Look Dress and the Showcase Dress.

All of the designs in eponymous collection follow Dita’s personal retro-glamour style, with sleek Fifties-style silhouettes and aspects drawn from her personal collection of vintage couture, such as grosgrain ribbon, nipped in waist and full skirts.

First launched at Australian department store David Jones, British fans can now snap up the pieces via online designer and vintage emporium Decades, Inc ( shopdecadesinc.com ) priced from £373 to £620.

But Von Teese’s impressive new turn isn’t wholly surprising – she studied historic costume at college with the ambition of becoming a film stylist and worked as lingerie buyer before bringing her burlesque skills to the masses.

Her choice to release a collection came from a simple trip to one of her favourite vintage boutiques in LA. “I saw a very famous designer, who shall remain unnamed,” she told Vogue.co.uk. “He was there with his whole team and they were taking pictures for pieces to inspire his next collection. I just thought to myself: ‘There’s no reason why I couldn’t do that.’ Vintage stores are where I buy all my clothes – I love the thrill of the hunt.”

The burlesque queen has also recently launched a line of lingerie with Von Follies, and hopes to extend The Dita Von Teese Collection with more affordable pieces.

V.I.P.

refinery29

What's your most prized vintage possession, where did you find it, and why is it so special to you?
"It's a 1954 Christian Dior Paris haute couture New Look-era suit with the label inside, which bears the red-stamped serial numbers and season. It's the real deal, extremely rare, and extremely valuable. It belongs in a museum, but I wear it! It's grey tweed, three pieces, with that famous Dior full skirt, a tweed blouse, and a coat. It's the Holy Grail of '50s clothing. I found it in San Francisco, at the bargain price of around $4,000. As a perfect example of the New Look Era, it's worth far, far more!"

What's your most recent vintage purchase that you're over the moon for?
"A big black 1940 La Salle convertible."

MAC's Gregory Arlt does your makeup. What are your top three products he uses to achieve your look?
"MAC Mineralize Skinfinish powder, Fluidline eyeliner in Blacktrack, and Eye Shadow in Vapour. He also loves my own ARTDECO makeup collection, which has 6 incredible, velvety-red shades. It’s not available in the US yet, but hopefully will be soon!"

V.I.P.

Love her in that chic cocktail dress in Miami so glam. And so fabulous in that gorgeous red floral slipdress in the candids

12-12-2012
V.I.P.

Into The Gloss: Postcard: Liz & Dita’s Art Basel Diary

Dear ITG,

So, I hit up Miami Art Basel for the week—I’ve only gone once before during my book tour for Pretty Things and I was actually working. This time, I had no work commitments so I was able to fully experience vacationing at Art Basel!

Arrived from rainy NYC on Tuesday to blue skies [2] and a reunion with my friend & Basel roommate Dita VT. We relaxed all afternoon with a long lunch on our terrace (sunscreen & hats, of course) and caught up on love & life dish. After a luxurious nap (!), which was must needed after a hectic work week in NY (A southern belle friend of mine in her 80s swears by the beauty secret of an afternoon nap under the covers with all your clothes off!), I started to get ready for the evening.

Having been schooled on liquid cat eyeliner by Dita (she also taught me how to use hot roll curlers & gave me a set after making me sign a contract that I would practice twice a week for a month!), I used my MAC black jar liner with a brush. I had help applying my MAC 33 Lash (one of the perks of traveling with a burlesque queen). Some layering of Dior Dolce Vita red lipstick with MAC Scarlet Ibis and I was ready for my first party of the week, Jay Jopling’s shindig for White Cube at the Soho House. I wore a resort Jonathan Saunders pantsuit with a blue palm print and 1930s red Bakelite bracelets to match my lips.

Day 2 started with green smoothies and a Ballet Beautiful workout on our terrace via my iPad. We then had a leisurely catch up lunch with my old friend, director Harmony Korine and his lovely wife Rachel [3]. Having known each other since I was 16, there was a lot of reminiscing! After lunch, I hit up the fair preview, which was overwhelming but there was some amazing artwork on display [4, Francesco Vezzoli sculpture].

Later on, we went back to the hotel to rest up and change for the Chanel & Artsy dinner that evening to benefit The Henry Street settlement in the name of artist Dash Snow. I had just run out of my new favorite concealer, Dior SkinFlash in 002 [5], so I used some tinted sunscreen from Arcona that I had a sample of. Seriously, though, this Dior product has replaced YSL Touche Éclat in my book—it works all over and is the only under-eye/concealer-type product I use. More cat eyeliner (practice makes perfect) and MAC 33 Lashes (again with help) and finished off the look with MAC Moxie lipstick layered with Estée Lauder Berlin Red. I had a rad Chanel sequined cocktail dress, bag, and jewelry, and a vintage 1950s cardigan and was good to go. The highlight of the beautiful evening was watching Dan Colen’s painting sell for half a million dollars during the live auction. To cap off my night, I headed with a crew to see Dita perform my favorite act of hers, “Opium Den.” Later, back in the hotel, we recapped our evenings while she scrubbed off all her stage body makeup—it’s a process!

Day 3, we woke up late and decided to hit up some vintage shopping with stylist and costume designer extraordinaire Heidi Bivens. We each found one item at a store I won’t name because they were overpriced and wouldn’t offer any discount, which is the unspoken rule of vintage! Before we went out that night, Dita made us delicious dirty vodka martinis in the room while we got dressed. We were both headed to Amfar as guests of MAC. I got a great compliment from DVT, who finally approved my cat eyeliner, plus more 33 Lash by MAC and Berlin Red layered with Dolce Vita. I wore a dress called “Bon Bon” designed by DVT from her new line, a 1930s evening cape, more 1930s Bakelite bracelets, red Rykiel heels, and a red B. Romanek bag [1]. I like to match my fingers & lips to my accessories. After Amfar, I headed to the Visionaire/Net-a-Porter “Free Store,” where I had given one of the bags from my LG x MAC collection, along with a MAC Ruby Woo lipstick and a note signed with my lipstick kiss. I got a 1960s Hollywood pulp paperback novel in exchange.

Finally home after my 3rd late night in a row, I decided to switch to an earlier ticket back to LA so I could make it back in time Friday night for a screening and dinner party in honor of David O. Russell and the cast of his great new film Silver Linings Playbook. I love art, but it’s always nice to come home… Hollywood has nothing on the way the art world parties—I can’t keep up!!

V.I.P.

Dita Von Teese and the “Opium Den,” shot by Scott Nathan

Dita Von Teese is an international icon in the burlesque and fashion world, known for her forties style, retro quirk and milky white complexion. “Opium Den” is her lovechild, and the final act in her infamous performance. It’s truly a spectacle – the stage is covered in red, paper Chinese lanterns, a bed of pillows, pipe smoke and Dita intimately dressed in a robe by Catherine D’Lish and Michael Schmidt (encrusted with more than 70 lbs of Swarovski crystals!).

LA-based celebrity photographer Scott Nathan photographed Dita at Pier 59 Studios in Santa Monica, California. Dita was the first celebrity he shot on a tour with his friend after college, and many years later, she still continues to be one of the celebrities that he collaborates with.

Scott explains the shoot:

“Spotlight was a broncolor Pulso Spot. The dragon came via a drawing from Dita’s interior designer Stacia Dunnam . I had a 43mm glass gobo custom laser etched, then filled with chrome to achieve the positive effect. Various gridded hard light sources were used around the dress for specularity and shadows. Key light on her face was a broncolor white gridded Softlight Reflector. Hair light was an overhead snoot made with cinefoil & green gel. Fill light was a broncolor Para 220FB with ring flash. Chief Lighting Technician: Frank Terry. Makeup by GREGORY ARLT Beauty. Shot with Hasselblad’s H4D-60 with 80mm Lens.”

“This was a nice surprise this morning. Every year, Professional Photographer Magazine makes their picks for the best photographers in the world in numerous categories. It’s not over yet, but so far, I’m the sponsor’s pick for the best Fashion & Beauty image. This image was never intended to be seen in color and I uploaded this version by accident. Still getting used to it, but pleased nevertheless.”

About The Opium Den Act

Established: in 2008
Costume: Catherine D’Lish
Shoes: Designed for Dita by Christian Louboutin
Bra and G-String: by Michael Schmidt
Headpiece: by Michael Schmidt
Opium Pipe and Fan: By Michael Schmidt
Opium Den Pillows: Catherine D’Lish

The Opium Den act is Dita’s most lavish set, inspired by her longtime fascination with the eic Chinese films of director Yimou Zhang. A departure from her signature 1940s pinup style, the Opium Den show was created with her desire to build a timeless burlesque act of a mysterious and fetishistic exoticism. The elaborate “Dragon Lady” gown is a striptease masterpiece designed by Catherine D’Lish with astonishing quantites of Swarovski crystal in Vitrail medium, Jet black and Light Siam rhinestones and beads. Renowned jewelry designer Michael Schmidt created the intricate headpice, hand props, underpinnings and ornate chinese fan.

V.I.P.

V.I.P.

V.I.P.

V.I.P.

Check out some of the awesome stuff Cointreau make for their events… including the ‘My Cointreau Evening’ press kit and Dita Von Teese cup cake!

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
dita, teese, von