Dita Von Teese (September 2012 - February 2015) - Page 28 - the Fashion Spot

How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Star Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

23-04-2013
V.I.P.

The Coveteur: The Edit
THE GIRL: Dita Von Teese
Up-close and personal with the one and only burlesque beauty, Dita Von Teese. And, yes, she does her own hair and make-up!

It’s almost impossible to mistake the burlesque beauty Dita Von Teese for someone else—unless, of course that someone is of the Gypsy Rose Lee type. That porcelain skin, those vibrant cherry lips, the signature beauty mark, her neatly pinned curls and waves and that teeny-tiny waist and curves is undeniably all Dita Von Teese’s trademark. And, we’ll have you know, Ms. Von Teese does it all herself, from the styling to the hair and make up. Yes, you read the correctly. Her secret? “Hot rollers, brush it out and tons of hairspray!” Oh, and let us note that it took her mere minutes to do, too! And don’t even try and ask the standard, “What’s your signature shade of red?” question because you’ll be damn right let down when she tells you she doesn’t really have one.

“I’ll try anything!” she told us. She happened to be wearing a bright rouge from Make Up Store that day, though.

As for that flawless skin, Von Teese admits she’s “not that particular.” “I kind of feel like there’s no ‘miracle.’ I kind of use whatever people send me. I’ll use it for a while and either I’m into it or not.” But she does have one go-to: Crème de la Mer. “Because it’s the only thing that doesn’t sting when I use retinol. But I hate telling people that because they’re like, ‘I have to buy a $200 bottle of it?’” And if you want anymore of her valuable beauty advice, you’re in luck: Von Teese has a book coming out very soon. She also credits her daily Glowing Green Smoothie as the source of her own glowing skin.

We got to chatting about skincare and beauty myths and we were shocked to hear Von Teese’s own horror story. Apparently we’re not the only ones who got sucked down the rabbit hole of fancy face creams and regimes. After a slightly traumatic experience with “that big L.A. dermatologist that everyone said, ‘Oh, you have to go,’” Von Teese had dropped $1000 down the drain and developed a case of rosacea. (Sound familiar?) “Everything he did made it worse and worse and worse,” she admitted. In search of a cure, she headed back to her old dermatologist and spilled out her grocery list of products in front of him. Flash forward almost a week later et voila! His cure? Ditching all the old products and starting fresh. See, guys? Sometimes more isn’t better!

And, naturally we just had to ask a few burning questions, so we took one for the team and went for it.

“Do you ever wear flats?” Steph asked.

“Yeah! All the time,” she laughed. “People ask this all time. That, and if I wear jeans!” Turns out she busts those out for one special occasion each year: Halloween.

pocketvenus.wordpress.com

25-04-2013
V.I.P.

Cool Hunting: Behind the Scenes at Strip Strip Hooray
Mechanical bulls, confetti cannons and fog machines jazz up Dita Von Teese’s traveling burlesque show
by James Thorne

“They come dressed to the nines,” says Justin Moyer, production manager for Strip Strip Hooray. He’s referring to the pantheon of fans that flock to the performance, one of the preeminent shows in the neo-burlesque scene. Most come for Dita Von Teese—a pioneer of contemporary American burlesque and authority on elegance—although co-stars Murray Hill, Dirty Martini, Perle Noire, Selene Luna, Monsieur Romeo, Lada Nikolska and Catherine D’Lish command followings of their own. Fans come decked out in garters, bustiers and voluminous hair, helping to enshrine the atmosphere that Dita and company have worked so hard to create.

But Moyer camps out in the back of the house as the audience swoons, choreographing a mechanical bull and detonating audience-showering confetti at just the right moment. The performance is unlike any other—a theatrical circus that is equal parts sideshow and broadway musical. A road show, they never stay in one place for more than a few days, spending weeks in the lead-up trying to plan a way to impart their show onto the given venue. The most recent production involved turning NYC’s Gramercy Theater—a space more suited for rock shows than kinky acrobatics—into a proper burlesque stage.

“They send me specs for all kinds of venues, and this is one of the tightest that we’ve done as far as getting everything to fit back here,” says Moyer of the Gramercy Theater. “I use a program called SketchUp to figure out if it’s going to work. I come in here and measure out each of the key elements and build out the venue and the stage in 3D. I’ve got all her props on the same program; I can bring them all in and do my set changes right there on the computer.”

The purpose of the work is to bring Strip Strip Hooray wherever they go. Living permanently in road cases in Hawthorne, California, everything from props to decking to curtain fringes gets trucked around the country and installed in time for the performance. Like playing Tetris with thousands of pounds of equipment, Moyer’s job comes down to making it all fit.

In the end, this careful geometry translates to an intricate network of hidden components that are as much a part of the act as the performers. Lighting cues, low-lying films of fog and confetti blossoms elevate the show from parlor entertainment to something truly sensational.

The props of Strip Strip Hooray are always critical to the reveal. In one act, the curtain peels back with Dita Von Teese standing center-stage dressed as a rhinestone cowgirl—shocking in and of itself, but it isn’t until she mounts a pink mechanical bull that the audience erupts. Formerly employed as an industrial construction worker, Moyer was the obvious choice when the skeleton crew looked for someone to run the bull. “I don’t know if you’ve ever tried to choreograph a mechanical bull to some slow jazz, but it’s kind of difficult,” he laughs.

Whether she’s showering in an oversized martini glass, swinging through an opium den or emerging from a makeup compact, Dita Von Teese relies constantly on a well-oiled production team. In addition to Moyer, this list includes manager and co-producer/co-director with Von Teese, Melissa Dishell, manager Albert Murcia, stage manager Erik Santiago, tour manager and publicist Jasmine Vega and J Fox lighting company.

29-04-2013
V.I.P.

Dita Von Teese hits the red carpet at the 2013 Britweek: BritWeek Design Icon Award Presentation held at the Christopher Guy West Hollywood Showroom on Friday (April 26) in West Hollywood, Calif.

The next day, the 40-year-old burlesque beauty was spotted leaving Axe restaurant with a gal pal in Venice, Calif.

justjared.com

29-04-2013
V.I.P.

30-04-2013
V.I.P.

DITA’S HSN DEBUT PHOTOS BY BRYAN KASM

30-04-2013
V.I.P.

Performer Dita Von Teese poses for a portrait while promoting her new line of Von Follies lingerie for the Home Shopping Network in New York, April 17, 2013. REUTERS/Lucas Jackson

05-05-2013
V.I.P.

Dita Von Teese Portraits by Lee Clower

05-05-2013
V.I.P.

Dita Von Teese is classy chic while arriving at McCadden Space Studio on Friday (May 3) in West Hollywood, Calif.

“Girls’ girl: woman who realizes that being around other great women is uplifting & inspiring & it doesn’t detract from her own greatness!” the 40-year-old burlesque beauty tweeted later in the day.

justjared.com

06-05-2013
V.I.P.

Dita Von Teese at International Beauty Show
Jacob Javits Center, New York City

06-05-2013
fashion icon

I would kill to see her live at least once, it's definitely on my bucket list.

06-05-2013
V.I.P.

she came to were i work, i got to meet her, & have my pic with her, it really was the HIGHLIGHT of my whole DAY, WEEK, MONTH, YEAR lolllllll

07-05-2013
V.I.P.

'DITA VON TEESE'
NEW SPRING FRAGRANCE - 'FLEUR TEESE'

some-kind-of-style.blogspot.com

07-05-2013
tfs star

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleMsSunshine View Post
she came to were i work, i got to meet her, & have my pic with her, it really was the HIGHLIGHT of my whole DAY, WEEK, MONTH, YEAR lolllllll
DETAILS PLEASE. Was she as flawless as she always seems?

07-05-2013
V.I.P.

YES YES YES, she is totally Flawless, her skin was amazing, i mean, we all know about photoshop they do on people, but i was like right next to her, there wasnt a wrinkle anywhere she was SOOOOOO smooth, not a hair out of place either, perfectly poised, she changed for each show, she wore clothes & shoes id seen only in Pictures, she was very articulate, very good at selling her product, her walk, she liked glided, ever movement every look was totally perfect, i shook the entire time, she was very sweet, totally GLAMOURUS

14-05-2013
V.I.P.

Vogue & MAC Cosmetics Dinner in Honor of Prabal Gurung at the Chateau Marmont in Los Angeles - May 13, 2013

tlfan.to

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2012, 2015, dita, february, september, teese, von