How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Star Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

07-02-2008
scenester

I HOPE SHE WINS!!!!!!!!! Juno was awesome

07-02-2008
trendsetter

I absolutely adore Ellen Page! I didn't know who she was until I watched Juno. She's such an edgy & quirky lil' thing who's amazing at playing "big girl" roles! I can't wait to watch Hard Candy (even though i heard it's a really traumatizing and disturbing movie).

trendsetter

I her in juno! She's a great actresse! I hope to see more of her!

07-02-2008
V.I.P.

love her in stripes and leather jacket.something very french chic bout it

07-02-2008
V.I.P.

I also love the stripes on her! I'm not so crazy about the green dress, it looks ill fitting.

08-02-2008
fashion icon

The New ork Times Breakthrough Performances on Film photographed by Ryan McGinley

ontd

Leave tonight or live and die this way
08-02-2008
V.I.P.

Ellen Page @ Ivan Reitman hosts a Lunch for Ellen Page and Jason Reitman in Celebration of "Juno", New York, February 8
celebutopia

i'm almost ready..

those nytimes pics capture her essence perfectly...

that outfit at the celebratory lunch is perfect for her too
one of the best looks i've seen on her..she looks perfectly comfortable..
and the jacket is beautiful !

her hair + makeup look good too..
it's a nice balance between the tomboy-ish elements she prefers and a little bit more femininity

09-02-2008
The future is stupid

Here's the cover of this Sunday's NY Times Magazine with Ellen!
Getting this cover is really great for her

Photographed by Ryan McGinley

source | nytimes

Here's what the accompanying article says about her...

Quote:
n 2005, at the Sundance Film Festival, a star was born, but almost no one noticed. Well, actually, a few studio executives who saw “Hard Candy” raved about the performance of the unknown Ellen Page — she played an avenging, psychopathic 14-year-old who entices and then violently tortures a would-be pedophile. But the movie was so relentlessly disturbing (at one point, Page’s character ties her enemy down and slowly begins to castrate him) that when “Hard Candy” was released the following year, no one went to see it. What the audience missed then is what they later found in “Juno” — the birth of a different sort of actress. Unlike her glamour-girl peers who double as tabloid superstars, Page, who is now 20, is a tomboy — her on-screen persona is sharp, clear-eyed, determined and self-consciously original. In “Hard Candy,” she managed to be adorable and persuasive while wielding a large knife; in 2007, that same spirit and charm animated “Juno,” a kind of fairy tale about a pregnant 16-year-old who decides to have the baby and give it to the couple (in the end, half the couple) she chooses. In “Juno,” the lack of realism — no one questions Juno’s decision — and the lack of politics are trumped by the overwhelming appeal of Page’s acting. She is so alive on screen — so unique, so ingratiating — that she makes the character, and the entire film, believable.

As is often the case with cinematic breakthroughs, Page had two of them: the first, “Hard Candy,” was her initial artistic birth; “Juno” then deftly married artistic cred with popular acclaim. Page is now a star. With breakthrough performances, as with almost everything else in life, context is everything. Diane Keaton was in three Woody Allen films before Allen wrote “Annie Hall” as a love letter to her quirks. Despite her brilliant comedic turns in the other films, “Annie Hall,” was, and is, the Keaton performance that cemented her cinematic identity. Just as Juno MacGuff probably has high-school girls trading their Uggs and belly-baring T-shirts for tartan plaid Converse sneakers and red hoodies, Annie Hall spawned legions of loyal followers. I, for one, started wearing a fedora and sewed copies of her outsize dresses. I think I may even have said “la-di-dah” once or twice.

09-02-2008
i'm almost ready..

couldnt be better...^

thanks mma

10-02-2008
i'm almost ready..

Quote:
Ellen on why her character in Juno resonated with audiences so much: “It’s a teenage female lead we’ve never seen before. She dresses like she wants, says what she wants, and doesn’t apologize for it…. Girls haven’t had that sort of character before. We don’t have our Catcher in the Rye.”
Ellen on her reputation as a Hollywood outsider: “Sometimes I think I come off as a Hollywood-hater, and it’s not true. I’m not some judgmental prick. It’s not like I’m ‘Boo hoo! People like the movie.’ You know what I mean?”
Ellen on the roles available for young actresses: “You either have the rich Laguna Beach thing, where the only thing they’re worrying about is what jeans to wear to impress Bobby or you have the girl who dresses in black and cuts herself.”
Ellen on her post-Juno plans: “It’s kind of daunting to be a young actor with some stuff happening. I could do the whole [Hollywood] thing if I wanted, but I’m not going to. I look at someone like Johnny Depp or Kate Winslet and they seem to be strong individuals who have decided to take risks and be unique…. It could be easy to rush into something, so I want to take my time to figure out what’s really going to get me excited.”

fadedyouthblog

Last edited by ChrissyM; 23-02-2008 at 02:00 PM. Reason: broken links due to hotlinking
10-02-2008
backstage pass

she reminds me of thora birch a bit in ghost world.. which, was equally as excellent as juno.

13-02-2008
i'm almost ready..

in W...march..
she looks absolutely gorgeous..

wmagazine

Quote:
Fresh Page
Actress Ellen Page is young, talented and unimpressed by Hollywood hoopla

Ellen Page is 20, but the actress—a tomboy pixie dressed in jeans and a hoodie—looks like the kind of 16-year-old you’d see smoking outside a 7-Eleven. And like a lot of smart, bored kids, Page likes to give the impression that everything is No Big Deal, even her breakout role two years ago as a psychopathic teen who lures and tortures a suspected pedophile in the indie film Hard Candy. “It’s just what I do, you know?” she says, downing a shot of espresso in a midtown restaurant. “It’s no big deal, that’s kind of my attitude.” Despite the fact that Page’s next star turn, in Juno, is being called one of the smartest, brightest performances of the year, the wispy Canadian exudes none of the cheery, I’m-so-blessed vibes of a star on the rise. Instead, she seems intent on proving she’s untouched by any of the Hollywood baloney. Fashion, for instance, doesn’t move her. “I go to these photo shoots and they’re talking to me about designers, but this is how I like to dress,” she says, tugging at her flannel shirt. What about promoting last year’s X-Men: The Last Stand, her first taste of big-budget filmmaking? Shrug. “We did the junket; we went to Cannes.”
In Juno, opening in December and directed by Jason Reitman (Thank You for Smoking), Page plays Juno MacGuff, a sarcastic, punk rock–loving Minnesota teenager who finds herself pregnant after a fling with her bandmate (Superbad star Michael Cera). She decides to have the baby and give it to a yuppie couple (Jason Bateman and Jennifer Garner) who are looking to adopt. A far cry from the typical teen screen caricatures—the jock, the mean girl, the nerd—Juno is remarkably nuanced: self-confident but not bitchy; quirky but not a social outcast. And unlike most ugly ducklings, who are, by movie’s end, transformed into stylish swans, Juno starts out not so cute and only gets fatter and less fashionable (she’s pregnant, after all). “I would have loved to see a character in a film like that when I was in junior high school,” says Page, whose mother is a first-grade teacher and father is a graphic designer. “Juno likes to rock out as herself, and I respect that.”
Page got her big break at age 10, when a casting director came to her elementary school in Halifax, Nova Scotia, seeking fresh talent for a CBC television movie. She worked steadily through her teens, mainly in Canadian films and TV, before landing the part as the baby-faced aggressor in Hard Candy. She’s stayed mostly on the thorny path of hard-to-watch films ever since. In Mouth to Mouth (2006) she shaves her head and joins a cult. In this year’s The Tracey Fragments she’s a disturbed teen wandering the streets. And in the upcoming Showtime docudrama An American Crime she plays Sylvia Likens, a teenager who in 1965 was locked in a basement and tortured to death. “She’s a spectacular actress, incapable of having a false moment,” says Reitman.
Bateman agrees that Page is the real deal. “She’s not wondering if she’s a job away from the pot of gold or whether she’s finally getting access to the best dresses for the Academy Awards,” he says. “She’s genuinely not impressed with those things.”
It probably helps that the actress still lives in her hometown, where one of her best friends is a dog trainer and another works in a pizza place. Moving to L.A. or, say, partying with the cast of The Hills is just not her style. “I think if I moved there and did that,” she says without a trace of a smile, “I would get really depressed and I might die."

13-02-2008
i'm almost ready..

she's everywhere..

cover of interview mag...march..

ebay

13-02-2008
i'm almost ready..

papermag

Page Turner
by Whitney Spaner
photography Jacqueline di Milia
styling Turner

Quote:

Ellen Page is lying upside-down on a futon couch with her feet propped up over the back and her head dangling down off the front. She's wearing a full-length leopard-print dress and a black denim jacket. "I love this song!" she blurts. "It's the New Young Pony Club!" She's referring to the sugary-sweet electro-pop band you can probably hear on the iPod of just about every Studio B-visiting hipster right now. Page, 20, who stars in the recently released Juno, is at the photo shoot for this story. Next she slips on her own skinny jeans, a Patti Smith T-shirt, a men's vest and striped wool knit hat. This outfit is much more in keeping with Page's own style (she claims to wear basically the same jeans and plaid button-up everyday). But what she lacks in enthusiasm for fashion, she makes up for in music, and not just by selecting the playlist for her Paper photo shoot.

In an early meeting to discuss Juno, a witty, heartfelt and well-written film, director Jason Reitman (Thank You for Smoking) asked Page what she thought Juno -- the quirky 16-year-old who has a cheeseburger-shaped phone, drinks endless blue slushies, gets knocked up by her nerdy best friend (Michael Cera) and then subsequently chooses adoptive parents from the PennySaver coupon book -- would listen to for music. "The Moldy Peaches," Page answered, without skipping a beat. By the next meeting, Reitman had met with Kimya Dawson, lead singer for the Moldy Peaches, and arranged for her to contribute to the Juno soundtrack. "I was ecstatic!" says Page. With other contributors including Cat Power, Sonic Youth, the Kinks and the Velvet Underground, the soundtrack started getting Internet buzz months before the film's release.
Page, a self-proclaimed music-head, cites Patti Smith's Horses, Sleater-Kinney's Woods and Radiohead's Amnesiac as a few of her favorite albums, and credits Amnesiac as the record that turned her on to music in the first place, back when she was in the eighth grade. "I remember first hearing 'Pyramid Song,' which was, I think, their first single off that album, and just being like, 'Oh, my God, what is that? What am I feeling?' It's that inexplicable thing that art does [where] you just genuinely connect to [it]," Page explains, stopping only for a quick, impassioned breath. "And there's no reason to be analytical about it. That's what's so frustrating. We're always so analytical, especially right now in the way that our society works, it's very scientific-based. I guess that's what turns me on about film and music [is that it's not]." Page realizes she's gotten very wrapped up in what she's been saying, and looks down at her lap, apologizing. Still, she willfully communicates, with full emotional disclosure, her ideas about many things -- film, music, nature, her hometown of Halifax, Nova Scotia, the patenting of seeds of genetically modified organisms by large corporations -- it's all very inspiring, and I am struck by the urge to download her favorite album.

Although Page started acting when she was 10 (cast in a TV movie that later launched a series), she says it didn't click for her until she was 15 or 16, while she was shooting her first feature film, Marion Bridge (which went on to earn Best Canadian First Feature Film at the 2002 Toronto International Film Festival). "I just completely fell in love with [acting]," says Page. "I can read a script and kind of fall in love with a character. I completely connect my heart to that person and I can feel everything falling into place." Page credits her parents for helping to steer her clear from the path of a typical Lindsay Lohanesque Hollywood starlet, but adds with impressive self-awareness, "[That lifestyle] is just not my thing."

Page's breakout role came with 2006's Hard Candy, in which she plays Hayley, an unassuming 14-year-old girl who pursues Jeff (Patrick Wilson) over the Internet. She ends up torturing him, both physically and psychologically. Last year, Page dabbled in the world of Hollywood blockbusters as Kitty Pryde in X-Men: The Last Stand. And with her current role as Juno, which seems to have been tailor-made for her, Page is positioning herself to be among the most desirable indie actresses in the business. But regardless of how famous she gets, in either Hollywood or independent circles, she's pretty confident that she'll stay the same person. "I really seriously and honestly do not think I'm special because I'm an actor," Page muses. "It's more like people's projections of me change. When I went home after X-Men, I think people assumed I would be different and I really don't think I am. If anything, I've become more self-deprecating," she says with a laugh. In the Halifax flat she shares with two friends, Page isn't worried about building up her Hollywood résumé, and is happy to pick and choose her roles as they come. Next up, she plays Sylvia Likens in An American Crime, a film based on the true story of 16-year-old Likens, who in 1965 was tortured to death by her demented caretaker, Gertrude Baniszewski (played by Catherine Keener in the film). Page is also preparing to start work on a film with one of her Juno co-stars, Olivia Thirlby, called Jack and Diane, about two teenage lesbians who fall in love but are tested by the distance between them. "I never go in [to a film] with some kind of narrow-minded view of what I want it to be," says Page. "But it has to make me feel something in my heart or there's just no point."

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
ellen, page