How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Star Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

09-02-2013
front row

I don't think her career is in any danger of 'sizzling' out, but I DO think the public perception of her is certainly taking a turn for the worse. Most people loved Emma circa 2010/2011, but ever since TASM I feel like the general public is starting to get a bit over her. And yes, as silly as it sounds, I DO think the hair has a lot to do with it. The red hair really made her stand out from her peers. I truly think it gave her an edge and a sass that the general public really responded to. Without it, she has no real crutch to fall back on and while her personality is sweet/charming/inoffensive it's also a bit bland, and I think she's starting to bore people. Gangster Squad was an opportunity for her to broaden her range as an actress but it backfired, the film has flopped financially, received poor reviews and has only reminded people of how stunning Emma can be with darker hair :p I think her new projects sound promising and I don't think she's in danger of going anywhere, but I absolutely get the sense the general public aren't finding her as likable as she used to be. And for an actress like Emma whose 'star' is based moreso on charm and personality than talent (IMO), that's a bit of a worry.

10-02-2013
V.I.P.

Emma has never been a box office draw for me. I tend to like the movies that she's in, but she hasn't had a real standout role IMO (I know a lot people loved her in Easy A but I thought it was just okay). However, I think Emma has a long career ahead of her, because she's one of those celebs who is well liked in the business. People like working with her. She probably will never get any serious recognition for her film work (aka Oscars, Baftas), but I think she will definitely be around for the long run. I can see her career going the Julia Roberts/Jennifer Aniston route. I wouldn't be surprised if she ends up on a sitcom and gets an Emmy.

But I think fashion is definitely her strong point.

10-02-2013
fashion elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgowan View Post
lol wait just because she did a major worldwide press conference and hasn't been smothering the limelight with her presence for a few months means she's sizzling out? what. god forid she slow down a little. she's not a cw star who can't get work. we go months without hearing about michelle williams and then she always pops up in another amazing role.
Then...she is no Michelle Williams who can pop up whenever she wants and disappear as she wishes - Emma is more of the poster-happy-go-lucky girl grabbing Revlon and whatever is thrown at her...she is not as bad as a Camilla Belle but we'll see which way she will go... I am reminded of: all stunts, no substance - meaning that she has her charm, is "cute" but there's a lack of the "special something" and talent - maybe a bit similar to Kate Bosworth, one flying around with Superman, the other with SpiderMan

10-02-2013
fashion insider

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobriquet87 View Post
She probably will never get any serious recognition for her film work (aka Oscars, Baftas), but I think she will definitely be around for the long run.
Emma was nominated for a Golden Globe the year of Easy A. Albeit, that year was lacking with comedic roles. It was surprising Easy A got any award show attention, let alone a nomination for Emma. To further illustrate the fact, Johnny Depp was up for an award for his portrayal in Tim Burton's Alice....

That year was very giving to those who wouldn't usually get award show praise.

Anyway, we're getting away from the topic of her style.

10-02-2013
scenester

Quote:
Originally Posted by frieda View Post
Emma was nominated for a Golden Globe the year of Easy A. Albeit, that year was lacking with comedic roles. It was surprising Easy A got any award show attention, let alone a nomination for Emma. To further illustrate the fact, Johnny Depp was up for an award for his portrayal in Tim Burton's Alice....

That year was very giving to those who wouldn't usually get award show praise.

Anyway, we're getting away from the topic of her style.
it's pretty ridiculous the constant downput you have on emma's career as if she is some talentless hack who has been lucky in this business. she was great in easy a and it was the movie that kick started her into stardom, it wasn't for nothing. awards in general are quite a hack, but to say she wasn't deserving of her nomination because comedy wasn't big that year is outlandish. also, i didn't know being compared to johnny depp in any respect was a bad thing in this industry. she had an amazing year with spider-man and obviously the industry still loves her when they're putting her on the cover of their magazines (ie: vanity fair) when she wasn't one of the award season darlings this year.

i do agree that she needs to get back to her red hair because it made her stand out, but to say her career is in danger or that she hasn't deserved any accolades sent her way is absurd.

10-02-2013
scenester

Quote:
Originally Posted by jomarlushka View Post
Then...she is no Michelle Williams who can pop up whenever she wants and disappear as she wishes - Emma is more of the poster-happy-go-lucky girl grabbing Revlon and whatever is thrown at her
revlon is her only contract, i don't know how having a contract with one company is "grabbing whatever is thrown at her" when she has specifically mentioned what they do with cancer research and women is what drew her to them. that was an unfair statement to make when the last thing she's doing is selling herself out to a bunch of companies for recognition.

Last edited by lovestoner; 10-02-2013 at 02:05 PM.

10-02-2013
fashion insider

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovestoner View Post
it's pretty ridiculous the constant downput you have on emma's career as if she is some talentless hack who has been lucky in this business. she was great in easy a and it was the movie that kick started her into stardom, it wasn't for nothing.
Huh? I didn't say anything specifically about her performance being bad or not earned. In fact, I was standing up for her in proving that she'd received awards for her acting, contrary to what that poster had said. I think you interpreted my post wrongly.

I was simply stating that that year was pretty sparse and underwhelming with nomination picks, hence the comparison with Johnny Depp's nomination for the abhorred Alice in Wonderland, a Disney film for crying out loud. That came out of nowhere. Just as Emma's nomination, while surely hard-earned, was a surprise for as big a platform as Golden Globes compared to say, Teen Choice Awards. It's not often that comedy gets its place in awards season which is a huge problem of Hollywood politics if you ask anyone, even then Easy A was nothing special overall with the writing or acting. Good movie but awards season? No. She lucked out, as did the writer/director.

Last edited by frieda; 10-02-2013 at 02:15 PM.

10-02-2013
scenester

Quote:
Originally Posted by frieda View Post
Just as Emma's nomination, while surely hard-earned, was a surprise for as big a platform as Golden Globes compared to say, Teen Choice Awards. It's not often that comedy gets its place in awards season which is a huge problem of Hollywood politics if you ask anyone, even then Easy A was nothing special overall with the writing or acting. Good movie but awards season? No. She lucked out, as did the writer/director.
i don't think it was a surprise at all considering the golden globes has a specific category FOR comedy and musicals. half the time the movies that are listed in that category (my week with marilyn, anyone?) are neither comedy nor musical so it's refreshing when one that actually fits the bill is honored. i don't think it was luck that they decided to recognize a good comedic movie performance that year or any year for that matter. just because you might not have liked the movie doesn't mean it wasn't well received by a large majority.

also, the movie wasn't even nominated, her performance was. so again, you might not have liked the movie itself but you were insinuating her performance wasn't deserved. just as this year jessica chastain was nominated at the globes, but zero dark thirty wasn't. you can still have a performance deserving of accolade when the movie itself isn't.

Last edited by lovestoner; 10-02-2013 at 02:23 PM.

11-02-2013
fashion insider

IMO, Taylor seemed to be channeling one of Emma's past looks (once again) at the Grammy's last night:

vs.
source: getty

11-02-2013
tfs star

Even the shoe style is similar

12-02-2013
V.I.P.

^But what a difference

12-02-2013
front row

Except Taylor looks like a tacky country singer.

12-02-2013
I don't know

I find both looks equally awful. The first one because it's on Taylor Swift and Emma's because of that cheap looking belt that would have worked better as a car hood ornament.

12-02-2013
tfs star

Lol, that's my favorite part of the dress. To me, it's one of her best looks.

12-02-2013
trendsetter

I don't envy any generation of Hollywood It Girls. You have to do a variety of films to prove you can act, but you are sold based on being the Hot New Hollywood's Guy's romantic interest. No matter how good you act, your love life will get more coverage. Also, you have to find the balance early between doing mainstream films and edgy art films to ensure long term career survivability or else you sizzle out. (See: Gwyneth Paltrow, Claire Danes, Jennifer Garner, Neve Campbell, Keri Russelll, Rachel McAdams, etc.)

I do agree about the hair though. If this was studio system Hollywood, I bet it would a requirement of her contract to keep her hair red/brown.

I really enjoy her street style, particularly her coats.

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2012, 2014, april, emma, july, stone