How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Star Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

26-08-2008
V.I.P.

^ Another draw back of the date being pushed back...and I'm not even kidding! I was curious to see if she'd be wearing Chanel all the time or maybe switch to Burberry or another designer

26-08-2008
V.I.P.

i think the true question and real concern here, is why do you bother to painstakingly "analyze" a teenager's "style" to begin with. key word here is "teenager". and no, i don't care that she was in the spotlight. they shouldn't have to worry about it. i don't see people ripping on Dakota Fanning's "style". now that Emma is an adult, feel free to "analyze" her outfits that she has worn since turning 18. you are more than free to say that you don't like or do like something that she's worn. but it is not fair at all to criticize a child. it's something that one of those pathetic "I Hate Emma" websites that were around several years ago would do.

i'm done now. i just can't stand negativity in these forums.

26-08-2008
V.I.P.

^ Wow- are you kidding? It's not like anyone is attacking her weight or physical appearance, and like I mentioned this is a...style based forum. No one is ripping her apart for her outfits when she first came on to the scene, are they? Besides, imo, it's fair game even if they did because style is objective anyway so everyone will have a different opinion, it's interesting to see. The worst that has been said is that she doesn't have a knack for putting together a good outfit, I don't understand how that's seen as offensive to remark on. And- come on, are you telling me that only when she's 18, her outfits can be critiqued/praised? I mean, think about magazines like Teen Vogue etc, their direction is primarily based on fashion and style of the under 18s and Emma has been featured in that, and other fashion magazines regularly. I also don't consider 16/17 etc to be a 'child', at least, when I was that age, only recently, I saw myself as higher and more mature than that, but ok. I really don't see the issue and I don't think anyone should feel bad for commenting on any of her outfits.

Lastly- what does 'I hate Emma' have anything to do with it? So, if an opinion isn't of praise, it shouldn't be stated? Again, the worst people have commented, regarding her fashion, is that she looks kind of generic- big deal?! None of it is in ill-hate.

Last edited by Lacroix; 26-08-2008 at 07:58 PM.

26-08-2008
trendsetter

Agreed. Why is everyone freaking out so much?

26-08-2008
backstage pass

It seems as though whenever Emma wears a cute outfit, there's at least something a little off about it. Is it just me? Haha. A lot of the time she tries too hard to look older, especially recently - but, even so I think she has a very nice, overall style.

26-08-2008
trendsetter

You're right--there's always something off.

26-08-2008
lady of the flowers

Emma Watson , Daniel Radcliffe & cast @ more Harry Potter and The Half-Blood Prince press stills (celebutopia).

27-08-2008
An Insider.

I like the one where she dresses like an indie hobo, i think she looks really cute
and i also like the one where shes in a purple silk dress while on the phone

27-08-2008
trendsetter

Thanks for the HP stills!!

I think, whether she has personal style or not, it's great that she is not afraid of fashion. She is young and experimenting and is confident in all of her choices. I think we should applaud her for being a teenager/young woman now and having fun with her clothes (even if they are not well put together).

27-08-2008
front row

Quote:
i think the true question and real concern here, is why do you bother to painstakingly "analyze" a teenager's "style" to begin with. key word here is "teenager". and no, i don't care that she was in the spotlight. they shouldn't have to worry about it. i don't see people ripping on Dakota Fanning's "style". now that Emma is an adult, feel free to "analyze" her outfits that she has worn since turning 18. you are more than free to say that you don't like or do like something that she's worn. but it is not fair at all to criticize a child. it's something that one of those pathetic "I Hate Emma" websites that were around several years ago would do.

i'm done now. i just can't stand negativity in these forums.
I think it's fair to critique Emma Watson's clothing, just as we critique the clothing of others on this forum. How we deliver our critique can be either positive or negative, but essentially it's still an opinion of the person posting it, and shouldn't be taken with such sensitivity. Now, if you or someone else is/are having sleepless nights because of this, now that is something I'd be concerned with. But otherwise, it's all fair game.

Some people believe fashion taste is something you're born with, and others believe it's something you accumulate over time or reach at a certain "peak". To say that people should only judge her clothing after 18 doesn't really make sense, considering the amount of young girls definitely under 18 that have tremendous taste, style, fashion consciousness etc. For one, I'm sure many of the young women on this forum are teenagers.

27-08-2008
backstage pass

I don't know if this has been posted yet, but I think it's quite cute - http://www.dresslikeemma.ws/ And it proves that many girls really do love her fashion sense, even though she's a decade behind most style icons.

28-08-2008
fashion insider

Oh, I'm not saying one can't have an opinion -- the Fug girls, for instance, sometimes do posts on Dakota Fanning's outfits at premieres. It's simply that they give her a break because she's a teenager and is developing her own identity much less her own style. It's the same with their posts on Emma (who they didn't really start focusing on until she got closer to 18 anyway). I can't see them going back to that one picture posted, for eg., where she still has baby fat in the adorable frumpy jeans+vest+white shirt combo. They lower expectations accordingly. They don't compare them to 20+ year old French style icons (according to hype) who get Balenciaga editorials. :p Or go all fashion police on her when she's hanging with actors on a movie set.

To me it makes more sense to look at the other stars around her age group and I can't think of a single one that stands out, really, except Lenny Kravitz's daughter who often looks cute but whose look is pretty derivative, no? And that's fine considering where she is now.

It's all about context. Whatever style young people here supposedly have almost none of them are going to the events these girls are going to with access to the same kind of wardrobe and are definitely not getting the same attention. (And make up less than 1% of any kind of population so it's irrelevant.)

Anyway, where can I see all these budding 14/15 year olds stylistas? I wore uniforms for most of my teenage years so my exposure is limited but teens of all stripes that I've seen anywhere are wearing jeans + something and are worried more about having the right brand name and wearing Chanel glasses. That's definitely a kind of "style" but not the sort I think we're interested in here .

29-08-2008
front row

Italian Vogue Scans

Scans:

Source: Sassy

Runway pics:

I think one of these is Emma's Valentino dress in the second pic (personally I think it's the second one but I can't be sure):

^Valentino Couture Fall 08

And I can't see the words for the fourth pic but I'm pretty sure the dress on the left is also Valentino:

^Valentino Couture Fall 08

Third pic Atelier Versace dress:

^Versace Atelier Fall 08

Fourth pic Chanel dress:

^Chanel Couture Fall 08

Sixth pic Armani Prive dress:

^Armani Prive Fall 08

Sources: style.com, versace.com, me

Last edited by asow007; 29-08-2008 at 03:42 AM.

29-08-2008
I love you too

OH WOW!!!! I love the new Vogue spread

29-08-2008
front row

^Emma looks very beautiful on this photoshoot. Love third and last pics.

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2004, 2010, emma, february, june, watson