How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Star Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

07-05-2013
V.I.P.

Chanel, S/S 2009 Couture

07-05-2013
V.I.P.

I kind of like that her face scared me.

08-05-2013
V.I.P.

Quote:
Actress January Jones, wearing a blue and red striped top with blue jeans, seen at LAX Airport on May 7, 2013.

zimbio

17-05-2013
V.I.P.

Quote:
January Jones, Her Own Feminine Mystique

It isn’t easy to coax a smile out of January Jones. Perched on a velveteen banquette at the NoMad hotel in the Flatiron district recently, Ms. Jones didn’t engage in the dithery banter that in Hollywood passes for charm.

What she offered instead was a credible impersonation of Betty Draper Francis, the sweet and sullen character she plays in “Mad Men,” the role that has turned her into an emblem of glamour as wintry as her name.

She was dressed down in a T-shirt, hoodie and fashionably shredded MiH jeans. But easygoing as she appeared, you could be forgiven for confusing Ms. Jones with her starchy alter ego, the immaculate Hitchcock blonde married early in the series to the philandering Don Draper, then to Henry Francis, the small-town politician who rescues her from a life of lies.

Certainly, viewers seem perplexed. They conflate the actress with her role, argues Natasha Vargas-Cooper, a pop-culture historian and the author of “Mad Men Unbuttoned: A Romp Through 1960s America” — maybe because of the intimacy of TV. “She is in our living rooms,” Ms. Vargas-Cooper said in a telephone interview, “and that just brings up a lot of unsettling feelings.”

Indeed, viewers tend to ascribe to Ms. Jones the chilly detachment, questionable judgment and unsteady nerves that haunt and define Betty Francis. And Ms. Jones seems in no hurry to set them straight.

At 35, she is not much inclined to draw back curtains on a private life that seems by turns hermetic and crazily exposed. In recent months she made waves, not for her roles (she plays Emma Frost, a scantily clad telepath in “X-Men First Class”) but for a string of romances that have scandalized her critics, providing steady fodder for tabloids and blogs.

At an Oscars party earlier this year, Ms. Jones was seen in the company of the actor Liam Hemsworth, who was engaged to Miley Cyrus, America’s on-again-off-again sweetheart. She has been linked as well with Matthew Vaughn, her “X-Men” director, who is married to the model Claudia Schiffer, and Noah Miller, the director of her latest film, “Sweetwater,” a Western. The celebrity press has branded her as a coldblooded temptress, a homewrecker. Brian Moylan called her “a human ice luge” on Gawker.

In person Ms. Jones did little to counter these impressions. She shook a reporter’s hand wanly. In conversation, she studiously averted her eyes. Nor would she dish about her off-screen romances. “I’m not trying to sell myself,” Ms. Jones said matter-of-factly. “I wouldn’t know how.”

Actually, “she’s a little bit shy,” said Matthew Weiner, the creator of “Mad Men.” Yet this reticence, if that’s what it is, has succeeded in turning Ms. Jones, and her character, into objects of redoubled scrutiny. Though Betty has appeared only occasionally on “Mad Men” this season, she remains arguably the series’ most polarizing figure. Some see her as a victim, deserving of empathy; others as a dolled-up variation on an American archetype, the uptight suburban matron.

“That was the fear for me,” Ms. Jones said, “that we’d be in the third season, and you’d hate the character.”

Ms. Jones regards Betty with compassion. “She is really searching for something, but doesn’t know herself well enough to know what might make her happy,” she said. If Betty seems unmoored, “that’s because she is a little girl, an orphan,” Ms. Jones said. “She has a childlike emotional response to things. You have to treat that very, very tenderly.”

Audiences have on the whole been less kind, some viewers dubbing her “fat Betty,” “selfish Betty” or “weird Betty” for her morose attitude and flinty behavior with her children, especially her adolescent daughter, Sally, toward whom she seems to harbor an unseemly mix of competitiveness and rage.

In the season’s April premiere, Betty seemed to try a form of deranged foreplay, telling her husband she would happily help him rape a young houseguest, Sandy, slumbering peacefully in the next room.

“Betty has a sick sense of humor,” Ms. Jones said. “People need to realize that in that scene, Betty is just basically trying to make Henry blush. “

Nonetheless, the character’s tease, or taunt, prompted Amy Sullivan, a correspondent for National Journal, to dismiss Betty in a post on theatlantic.com as “a spoiled yet desperately sad adolescent with a few misfiring synapses.”

But such barbs are mild compared with the scorn heaped on Ms. Jones herself by the gossip industry. “Her treatment is totally unfair,” Ms. Vargas-Cooper said. But she thinks she understands it: Betty, and by extension Ms. Jones, “represents the frosty girl in high school who inspired rage because she’s just untouched,” she said. “Nothing seems to affect her. She is the popular girl who devastates lives.” Unlike Betty, Ms. Jones, has demonstrated a fierce independence, as single mother to Xander, her 20-month-old son, whose father she has steadfastly refused to name. Was it the actor Michael Fassbender, as has been speculated? Or is it Mr. Vaughn?

“That’s my son’s business,” she said. “It’s not the public’s business.”

Fans might relate better to her if she did discuss her private life, but the prospect seems not to interest her. “Jack Nicholson once told me: ‘You should never give your personal life away, otherwise people will pick you apart. They’ll never believe in your character.’ ”

Critics have disparaged her as stilted and affectless on “Saturday Night Live” last fall. But Mr. Weiner cast her, he said, “because she was the best actress I saw for that part. If people think she’s Betty, it’s because she is that good.”

While consistently guarded, Ms. Jones can be self-mocking. “Women should have lots of secrets,” she said, a rare gleam of mischief in her eye. “It’s our right to have secrets. Otherwise, what would we write in our memoirs?”

She is forthcoming, though, about her appearance, which she has refined, she said, to counter Betty’s girdled period image. “Most of my choices are my ultramodern and very thought-out,” she said.

On the red carpet, meanwhile, “I want to do things that are shocking.” Critics dismissed the stiffly bibbed Prabal Gurung gown she wore to the Screen Actors Guild Awards in January, but “I wanted to go extreme in hair and makeup, like a Bowie character, maybe,” Ms. Jones said. “I thought that might be a little confusing, which I like.”

She accented the trim black Chanel dress she wore last week to the gala for the Costume Institute at the Metropolitan Museum of Art with messily coiled hair and masklike eyes, prompting self-appointed red carpet pundits to quip that she looked like Batman, or worse, like the white swan’s evil double.

So what? “Those people don’t have degrees in fashion,” Ms. Jones said. “Why would I care what they say?”

Yes, she can be thorny. But in the show’s sixth and penultimate season, her character has softened a bit, standing by her man as he vaults up the political ladder. She has yet to pursue a career herself, however, other than an abortive attempt to return to modeling. Though Betty is seen on the show reading “The Feminine Mystique,” Ms. Jones said, she “would rather read fashion magazines, detective fiction, romance novels. She reads for escape. She wants to be informed — she is married to a politician. But I don’t think she wants to be that aware of the times.”

Ms. Jones herself reads ravenously, up to three books a week, most recently the Patrick Melrose cycle of novels, whose protagonist seems in a hurry to kill himself with drugs and drink. The books affected her dreams, she said, “and my dreams affect how my day goes. I’d say for a time they darkened my outlook.”

In many respects she is still the girl from Sioux Falls, S.D., who ventured to New York to make a name for herself but hung on all the while to a stern Midwestern pragmatism. She is frugal. “I wasn’t brought up with money,” she said. “I don’t think I’d spend more than $150 on a shirt.” She is orderly. “I’m almost O.C.D.,” she said. “You will never find a piece of clothing on my floor. I can’t relax if I’m sitting in a mess.” She has passed that fastidiousness to her son. “His first word was ‘Mama,’ ” she said. “His second was ‘back,’ ‘cause I keeping saying, ‘Put it back.’ ”

She was a straight-A student. “But in high school, I started bucking the system,” she said. “I didn’t understand why I had to learn the periodic table.”

And her recalcitrance seems not to have mellowed over the years. Ms. Jones is inclined to question most everything, from the chicken fingers she is served at lunch (“not what I expected,” she remarked with a faint curl of her lip) to conventional child-rearing practices.

Deliberately provocative, she has confided in interviews that after giving birth to her son, she ate his placenta. “It was like taking a vitamin blended into a smoothie,” she said unabashedly, explaining that the practice is a common folk remedy against postpartum blues. Maybe she shouldn’t have been so candid, Ms. Jones said, adding with pinch of sarcasm: “I’m a mammal. I nursed. I did all kinds of weird stuff.”

Earth-mother stuff, that is, that her character would scarcely have contemplated. Betty, as the series winds to a close next year, may never learn to embrace the unfettered joys of motherhood. Certainly, Ms. Jones suggested, life’s fundamental pleasures will continue to elude her.

As perhaps they should. “God forbid Betty becomes very happy,” she said. “Because then I’ll be bored stiff.”
www.nytimes.com

23-05-2013
V.I.P.

NetAPorter

23-05-2013
V.I.P.

That dress looks amazing on her. I would like to see her in something like this on the red carpet.

V.I.P.

Wow that's a great shot on The Edit. Thanks for posting the article Luxxx.

24-05-2013
V.I.P.

More from Net-A-Porter

27-05-2013
Iowa Girl Loves Fashion

Perfection! Love all the color.

V.I.P.

Quote:
'Mad Men' actress January Jones lunches at Houston's in Pasadena, California with her son Xander and her mother on June 10, 2013.

Quote:
'Mad Men' actress January Jones and her son Xander arrive at home in Los Feliz, California on June 7, 2013.

Quote:
January Jones leaves Chateau Marmont and heads to a house in Hollywood on May 11, 2013.

Quote:
'Mad Men' actress January Jones takes her son Xander out for a walk in Los Feliz, California on May 11, 2013.

Quote:
January Jones lets giggling son Xander try out her sunglasses during a fun grocery trip in Los Angeles on May 9, 2013.

And considering Betty is, well, Hot Betty again, her costumes are looking great again. Especially that gown she wore two episodes back!

zimbio

10-06-2013
V.I.P.

zimbio

12-06-2013
congratulations, nerds.

^She was amazing in that yellow dress, the cape was stunning.

13-06-2013
V.I.P.

Quote:
Actress January Jones attends Women in Film's 2013 Crystal + Lucy Awards at The Beverly Hilton Hotel on June 12, 2013 in Beverly Hills, California.

Quote:
'Mad Men' actress January Jones leaves her house in Los Angeles, California on June 12, 2013.

zimbio

18-09-2013
V.I.P.

Quote:
January Jones takes her son Xander to a baby class on September 17, 2013 in West Hollywood, California.

zimbio

Hope she'll be at the Emmys this year.

21-09-2013
V.I.P.

She'll be there! Chatted about her dress last night:

Quote:
Who could forget the pale pink Atelier gown with cutouts that she wore to the Emmys in 2009? Or how about the very blue Versace number she slipped into the following year? And last year, she turned heads in a black mesh creation that could fit in well at a 50 Shades of Grey gala.

"It's another opportunity to express artistically and [this year]…I'm doing a little bit more girly than I usually do," the blonde beauty told me at last night's Mad Men party hosted by Vanity Fair and Maybelline at Chateau Marmont.

Finding the right dress wasn't too stressful. "They made it for me," Jones said, declining to name the designer. "I agreed on a sketch and they made a beautiful dress for."
http://www.eonline.com/news/461491/j...rly-than-usual

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
january, jones