How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Star Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

08-01-2012
Mr. Magic

Jean Dujardin
The main actor of the critically acclaimed movie 'The Artist'

Quote:

Jean Dujardin plays silent matinee idol George Valentin in 'The Aritst' - Portrait: Rob Greig

He’s the handsome devil in the pencil moustache, staring out in classic black-and-white from the posters of ‘The Artist’ all over town. If you’re asking yourself, ‘Who is that guy?’, the chances are you’re not French, since Jean Dujardin is big news across the Channel. He’s a popular comedian who’s moved into drama and is reputedly the country’s highest-paid male performer. The movie is making headlines too, since this mightily entertaining comedy-romance is gathering momentum as an outside bet contender for next year’s Oscars.

The buzz isn’t just idle chatter: Dujardin winning Best Actor at Cannes in May was the start; ‘The Artist’ taking Best Film from the New York film critics in November was the latest chapter. It makes a great celluloid underdog story, not least since this Hollywood-set French production stars people the Academy have never heard of, is in black and white, and is silent.

Dujardin is savvy enough not to be talking up his chances. Today in a London hotel suite, he’s stubbly and dressed down, casting a different figure from the dashing (and fictional) silent-era icon George Valentin on screen. That he so obviously looks the part as an old-school movie-star has prompted suggestions he could be Hollywood-bound himself. But the 39 year old is sceptical, to say the least. ‘All these people talk and talk like I’m not in the room,’ he says. ‘They tell me the world is yours and you just have to grasp it, but… I dunno… I’m not sure I’m megalomaniac enough for all that.’

In the course of the next 40 minutes, it becomes evident it’s not lack of ambition which prompts such comments, but a dedication to his craft, a tendency towards self-analysis and the recognition that he’s doing pretty well for himself as it stands. ‘In France, I have lots of opportunities. Maybe now I’ll be offered films in America, or wherever, but I live well, my kids are happy and it’s not false modesty to say I don’t really need more.’

Indeed, for Dujardin it’s been quite a journey already, graduating from long-running TV show ‘Un Gars, Une Fille’ to knockabout movies – surfer pic ‘Brice de Nice’ and two outings as spoof Gallic secret agent OSS 117 – which made his name as a French box office draw, before earning a new level of respect at Cannes with ‘The Artist’. Kudos, by the way, entirely deserved since his performance as Valentin, the silent Hollywood idol who thinks he’s too big for the new fad called ‘talkies’, is effortlessly charismatic, drawing us from light-hearted charm to dark territory as the protagonist’s fortunes slide. Writer-director Michel Hazanavicius’s film is intelligent and affectionate in its play with form and rendering of vintage Tinseltown, but what makes it sing is the spell cast by Dujardin and leading lady Bérenice Bejo, as the extra who falls for him.

Jean Dujardin flies with his trusty canine co-pilot, Uggie, in 'The Artist' Jean Dujardin flies with his trusty canine co-pilot, Uggie, in 'The Artist'

‘It was always about the story rather than the character,’ reflects Dujardin. ‘In terms of research, I knew Chaplin and Keaton, but the discovery was seeing silent cinema, dramas like “Sunrise” and “The Crowd”, which were more minimal and had a real purity of performance. Valentin is based on Douglas Fairbanks, who was very happy in his own skin and content to make the same pantomime movie again and again. It was good to know there was another silent acting style to help build a bridge to modern audiences.’

Admitting to a degree of surprise at the warmth of the response, Dujardin shows little sign of getting caught up in the hype. ‘I’ve never concerned myself with the labels people want to put on you,’ he reckons. ‘What matters to me is my own estimation, and I’m very tough on myself. I need to be proud of what I’ve done and I work hard for it. I had a very Christian upbringing… lots of guilt. A good thing, It keeps you sane.

‘It’s quite pretentious, really, isn’t it? The notion the audience is going to be interested in you for an hour and a half. Think too much about that and anxiety takes over. I’m happiest on set because I’m not myself. I’m someone else. The moustache, the dinner jacket. It’s not me. You’re always this sort of double, and it’s liberating. Imagine being stuck with yourself… all those doubts…’

Behind the insouciant façade then, there’s obviously some fairly gnarled introspection going on. Something which, I suggest to him, is not uncommon among those with a decided comic gift. Steve Martin, say… ‘Yes, and Jim Carrey too,’ he continues, without any suggestion that he’s making comparisons. ‘I guess we’re all lucky to be in this profession where you can be someone else for two or three months on a film shoot. I find it restful. Vachement agréable.’

All this openness is delivered with a bonhomie that’s quite disarming, but when I mention that I’d read a French interview where he admitted to seeing a shrink, he makes a point of checking the source. ‘It’s funny that,’ he lightens up again. ‘I saw the guy twice, and then he had to admit he could do nothing for me. You’ll sort it out, he said. So I took that as confirmation my problems weren’t that serious. In fact, he recently sent me a prescription slip with the inscription “Bravo l’Artiste!”…’

So, that settles it then. Whichever byway Jean Dujardin’s profession takes him down in future, his head is definitely screwed on straight.
timeout.com

(IT'S GOING DOWN
)
MENS Runway Model Showlists - Mens RTW S/S 2015

08-01-2012
Mr. Magic

Quote:
Actor Jean Dujardin attends the premiere for 'Ricky' as part of the 59th Berlin Film Festival at the Berlinale Palast on February 6, 2009 in Berlin, Germany. (Photo by Pascal Le Segretain/Getty Images) *** Local Caption *** Jean Dujardin (February 6, 2009 - Photo by Pascal Le Segretain/Getty Images Europe)

Quote:
Jean Dujardin and Alexandra Lamy attend the Globe de Cristal ceremony at Le Lido on February 8, 2010 in Paris, France. (February 7, 2010 - Photo by Julien M. Hekimian/Getty Images Europe)

Quote:
Actress Alexandra Lamy and Actor Jean Dujardin arrive at the Opening Ceremony of the Marrakech 10th International Film Festival on December 3, 2010 in Marrakech, Morocco. (December 2, 2010 - Photo by Dominique Charriau/Getty Images Europe)

Quote:
(L-R) Actor Jean Dujardin, Director Nicole Garcia and Actress Sandrine Kiiberlain attend the Tribute to the French Cinema during the 10 th Marrakech Film Festival on December 4, 2010 in Marrakech, Morocco. (December 3, 2010 - Photo by Dominique Charriau/Getty Images Europe)

Quote:
Actor Jean Dujardin attends "The Artist" photocall at the Palais des Festivals during the 64th Cannes Film Festival on May 15, 2011 in Cannes, France. (May 14, 2011 - Photo by Vittorio Zunino Celotto/Getty Images Europe)

(IT'S GOING DOWN
)

08-01-2012
Mr. Magic

Quote:
(2L - R) Director Michel Hazanavicius, actresses Missy Pyle,Berenice Bejo, actor Jean Dujardin, guest and producer Thomas Langmann attend "The Artist" premiere at the Palais des Festivals during the 64th Annual Cannes Film Festival on May 15, 2011 in Cannes, France. (May 14, 2011 - Photo by Ian Gavan/Getty Images Europe)

Quote:
Jean Dujardin (R) and Alexandra Lamy attends the "Les Bien-Aimes" premiere at the Palais des Festivals during the 64th Cannes Film Festival on May 22, 2011 in Cannes, France. (May 21, 2011 - Photo by Pascal Le Segretain/Getty Images Europe)

Quote:
Actor Jean Dujardin poses with director Maiwenn Le Besco during the Closing Ceremony at the Palais des Festivals during the 64th Cannes Film Festival on May 22, 2011 in Cannes, France. (May 21, 2011 - Photo by Pascal Le Segretain/Getty Images Europe)

(IT'S GOING DOWN
)

08-01-2012
Mr. Magic

Quote:
Best Actor, Jean Dujardin and his wife, actor Alexandra Lamy attend the Palme D'Or Winners Dinner at the Palais des Festivals during the 64th Cannes Film Festival on May 22, 2011 in Cannes, France. (May 21, 2011 - Photo by Francois Durand/Getty Images Europe)

Quote:
Actor Jean Dujardin arrives at "The Artist" Premiere at The Elgin during the 2011 Toronto International Film Festival on September 9, 2011 in Toronto, Canada. (September 8, 2011 - Photo by Aaron Harris/Getty Images North America)

Quote:
Actor Jean Dujardin and Writer/Director Michel Hazanavicius of "The Artist" poses for a portrait during the 2011 Toronto Film Festival at the Guess Portrait Studio on September 10, 2011 in Toronto, Canada. (September 9, 2011 - Photo by Matt Carr/Getty Images North America)

Quote:
Alexandra Lamy and Jean Dujardin attend 'The Artist' Paris Premiere at Le Grand Rex on September 28, 2011 in Paris, France. (September 27, 2011 - Photo by Richard Bord/Getty Images Europe)

Quote:
Jean Dujardin attends The New York Film Festival Screening Of The Weinstein Company's "The Artist" at Alice Tully Hall on October 14, 2011 in New York City. (October 13, 2011 - Photo by Jason Kempin/Getty Images North America)

(IT'S GOING DOWN
)

08-01-2012
Mr. Magic

Quote:
Actor Jean Dujardin attends " The Artist" premiere during the 55th BFI London Film Festival at the Odeon West End on October 18, 2011 in London, England. (October 17, 2011 - Photo by Ian Gavan/Getty Images Europe)

Quote:
Actor Jean Dujardin attends the after party for The Artist at the 55th BFI London Film Festival at Floridita on October 18, 2011 in London, England. (October 17, 2011 - Photo by Ian Gavan/Getty Images Europe)

Quote:
Premiere of "The Artist" at the American Airlines Gala Red Carpet during the 55th BFI London Film Festival at The Odeon in Leicester Square. (October 18, 2011 - Photo by Bauer Griffin)

(IT'S GOING DOWN
)

08-01-2012
Mr. Magic

Quote:
15th Annual Hollywood Film Awards Gala.The Beverly Hilton Hotel, Beverly Hills, CA.October 24, 2011. (October 24, 2011 - Photo by Bauer Griffin)

Quote:
Actor Jean Dujardin attends the premiere of "The Artist" at the Paris Theater on November 17, 2011 in New York City. (November 16, 2011 - Photo by Marc Stamas/Getty Images North America)

Quote:
Actor Jean Dujardin and his wife, actress Alexandra Lamy arrive for the 24th European Film Awards 2011 at Tempodrom on December 3, 2011 in Berlin, Germany. (December 2, 2011 - Photo by Andreas Rentz/Getty Images Europe)

(IT'S GOING DOWN
)

08-01-2012
Mr. Magic

Quote:
Actor Jean Dujardin arrives at The 23rd Annual Palm Springs International Film Festival Awards Gala at the Palm Springs Convention Center on January 7, 2012 in Palm Springs, California. (January 6, 2012 - Photo by John Shearer/Getty Images North America)

(IT'S GOING DOWN
)

12-01-2012
Mr. Magic

Quote:
Actor Jean Dujardin attends the party hosted by the Weinstein Company and Audi to Celebrate Awards Season at Chateau Marmont on January 11, 2012 in Los Angeles, California. (January 10, 2012 - Photo by John Shearer/Getty Images North America)

Quote:
Actor Jean Dujardin arrives at the 17th Annual Critics' Choice Movie Awards held at The Hollywood Palladium on January 12, 2012 in Los Angeles, California. (January 11, 2012 - Photo by Jason Merritt/Getty Images North America)

(IT'S GOING DOWN
)

Last edited by Flashbang; 12-01-2012 at 10:45 PM.

13-01-2012
Mr. Magic

Brilliant!

(IT'S GOING DOWN
)

13-01-2012
V.I.P.

So hot!

Mr. Magic

Quote:
Actor Jean Dujardin arrives at the 12th Annual AFI Awards held at the Four Seasons Hotel Los Angeles at Beverly Hills on January 13, 2012 in Beverly Hills, California. (January 12, 2012 - Photo by Alberto E. Rodriguez/Getty Images North America)

(IT'S GOING DOWN
)

18-01-2012
Mr. Magic

GQ France February 2012

ebook-free-download

(IT'S GOING DOWN
)

25-01-2012
front row