How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Star Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

19-01-2013
V.I.P.

she is so funny, and I am glad she is still so down to earth. People like her and Rooney Mara inspire me to want to act.

19-01-2013
backstage pass

Is anybody watching her on SNL? I know its not jennifers fault, but it is just awful! :p

20-01-2013
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveKatFashion View Post
Is anybody watching her on SNL? I know its not jennifers fault, but it is just awful! :p
I watched it and I didn't laugh... not even once! they should get new writers

20-01-2013
tfs star

I haven't watched it yet. I DVRed it. But SNL's so long past its expiration date. I wish they would cancel it already. They haven't been funny in a long time.

20-01-2013
fashion insider

To be honest SNL hasn't been good for ages and that is why I had a feeling it wouldn't be great. They would have done better with just putting a camera on her and letting her talk as she usually does.

20-01-2013
V.I.P.

yeah it was bad last night, and I felt so bad for her because I had really high expectations. The diner sketch was the only funny one

20-01-2013
fashion insider

The only thing I "liked" about SNL last night was her various different looks. She could pull off the punky emo type, the English drama period piece type, and whatever you'd call the radio skit look.

Those who host SNL meet with writers for a week in NY, brainstorming skit ideas. It's never 100% the writers' faults, although they're definitely part of the issue every time. It's also the celeb's fault. They have a lot of say in the types of skits that are done. For reference, go watch Natalie Portman's SNL episode to see how each skit was curtailed in a way to her interests/life.

20-01-2013
scenester

Quote:
Originally Posted by frieda View Post
Those who host SNL meet with writers for a week in NY, brainstorming skit ideas. It's never 100% the writers' faults, although they're definitely part of the issue every time. It's also the celeb's fault. They have a lot of say in the types of skits that are done. For reference, go watch Natalie Portman's SNL episode to see how each skit was curtailed in a way to her interests/life.
well no, not really... Monday morning there's a general meeting with the host, where the writers pitch some ideas (almost none of which are serious), then the host pretty much goes away until wednesday afternoon, when there's a table read with everything those writers managed to get done on those two days - when that's over they select a few sketches for production, do some rewrites over the next day, and on friday and saturdays they have dress rehearsals and cut more sketches, and keep cutting them until the last dress rehearsal right before the show.

If the person hosting is a comedian, or someone interested, they can hang around while the writers are actually coming up with the material, but idk, every single book I've read about SNL didn't really leave me with the impression that they welcome outside input that much.

I do blame the material 100% on the writers. But that said, the part she could do something about (her delivery) was also pretty awkward - she seemed nervous and kind of low energy, specially in the first half.

20-01-2013
fashion insider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrantonicity View Post
If the person hosting is a comedian, or someone interested, they can hang around while the writers are actually coming up with the material, but idk, every single book I've read about SNL didn't really leave me with the impression that they welcome outside input that much.
Hosts, no matter who they are, can have as much input or as little input as they want when it comes to the writing. And from what I knew, I was under the impression that meetings happened almost every day throughout the week, to brainstorm and tweak things. I think the writers are open to hearing anything (because they know how the show has gone so down hill over the years!). You can see that with Justin Timberlake and Bruno Mars (and Natalie Portman, as I mentioned earlier), the skits were selected in a way that it's very much them. No surprise their episodes were deemed the most popular.

I think we all could have predicted some of Jennifer's skits last night. Hunger Games, expected. An awards show joke, expected. I almost expected a Bradley Cooper in trashbag/sweatshirt get-up as a shoutout to Silver Linings Playbook type skit! Maybe this was just a crash course of an attempt at comedy for her and she's one of those personalities more suited to off the cuff type interviews.

Has anyone ID'ed her outfits she wore in the opening monologue/announcing the performers/closing outfit?

Last edited by frieda; 20-01-2013 at 04:52 PM.

20-01-2013
backstage pass

Maybe she's just not that funny.

20-01-2013
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by glitterpeacock View Post
Really? I get that she's not conventionally beautiful like Sienna Miller or a hundred other actors but she is kind of extraordinary looking. Maybe it's because she doesn't try to do the ANTM Tyra Banks thing that of trying hard to look attractive while crying or shouting.
I beg to differ. I don't think she's extraordinarily beautiful either. I'd say she's above average looking, and she scrubs up pretty well. Then again, I don't find any of the younger Hollywood actresses to be extraordinarily beautiful. Kristen Stewart, Emma Stone, Blake Lively, Dakota Fanning, Ashley Green, Rooney Mara, Emma Watson et al - none of them can really hold a candle to women like Charlize Theron or Angelina Jolie. The only one of the under 30's whom I think is truly, extraordinarily good looking is Scarlett Johansson. I also find Saoirse Ronan to be incredibly beautiful, but she isn't exactly a mainstream Hollywood actress as yet, is she?

21-01-2013
tfs star

^^^^ The reason for this shift from "extraordinarily beautiful" actresses to unintimidatingly pretty actresses seemed to occur around the mid-2000s on, thanks to the general female audience's response to girls who looked more "normal" or "down-to-earth." Hence the popularity of people like Rachel McAdams, Alexis Bledel, etc. That said, I don't know if there's a correlation, but it seems the more "beautiful" and "extraordinary-looking" a young actress is the worse they are at acting. Or maybe it's the harder it is to believe them? I can't tell. But as for Young Hollywood, you've got Camilla Belle, Amanda Seyfried, Scarlett Johansson like you said, Teresa Palmer. Palmer is often passable, but the others are either horrendous, self-conscious, or utterly forgettable performers. Then again, the same really goes for MOST of young actresses working today, whether they be considered "extraordinary-looking" or "average" or whatever. Among the young actresses you've listed pavonine, Stone, Stewart, Lively, Green, Mara and Watson would definitely fall under the category of forgettable. In my opinion anyway (I have yet to be impressed by Mara, sorry). Of course, that could also be due to the general climate in Hollywood (and society in general) that forces women to internalize the male gaze. When you're worried about how you look all the time, it's kind of hard to let go and act.

So, for me, extraordinary or conventional--I've never really thought about her looks like that--I'm much more impressed that she can act as freely and confidently as she can at the tender age of 22. THAT's commendable.

Last edited by chickadee; 21-01-2013 at 12:28 AM.

21-01-2013
trendsetter

^ I concur with a lot of what you've said. Whilst I don't find Camilla Belle or Teresa Palmer to be extraordinarily beautiful, I agree that Amanda Seyfried is incredibly good looking. I suppose these things are subjective, because I know loads of people who don't think Seyfried's particularly attractive, but two other undeniably beautiful actresses are Megan Fox and Jessica Alba. Stunning, stunning women but woeful actresses.

I totally agree that what Jen's achieved is incredible. She seems to have it all, doesn't she? She's got a big franchise which rakes in the $$$ and cements her as a bona fide and bankable star, and she's got films like SLP which prove her mettle as an actress. I can't think of anyone else who straddles different genres with such apparent ease. The only one who comes remotely close is Angelina Jolie circa early noughties who had the looks, the acting chops and the quality of being a superstar. I don't think Jen's comparable to Angelina, but she's the one who comes the closest.

21-01-2013
tfs star

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavonine View Post
I beg to differ. I don't think she's extraordinarily beautiful either. I'd say she's above average looking, and she scrubs up pretty well. Then again, I don't find any of the younger Hollywood actresses to be extraordinarily beautiful. Kristen Stewart, Emma Stone, Blake Lively, Dakota Fanning, Ashley Green, Rooney Mara, Emma Watson et al - none of them can really hold a candle to women like Charlize Theron or Angelina Jolie. The only one of the under 30's whom I think is truly, extraordinarily good looking is Scarlett Johansson. I also find Saoirse Ronan to be incredibly beautiful, but she isn't exactly a mainstream Hollywood actress as yet, is she?
That wasn't quite the point I was making. I never said Jen is ' extraordinarily beautiful' I said she's extraordinary looking, i.e. she doesn't look like any other girl and I can't understand it when journalists describe her looks and her body as 'normal' (if that's normality then sign me up...) For me it's really more her personality that make her seem normal or down to earth. As you said, beauty is subjective. I think she is beautiful, certainly not intimidatingly so and love how she doesn't really fit a mould. It's interesting how you mentioned Megan Fox because I honestly don't think she's pretty at all but I do find Saoirse Ronan stunning.

21-01-2013
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickadee View Post
^^^^ The reason for this shift from "extraordinarily beautiful" actresses to unintimidatingly pretty actresses seemed to occur around the mid-2000s on, thanks to the general female audience's response to girls who looked more "normal" or "down-to-earth." Hence the popularity of people like Rachel McAdams, Alexis Bledel, etc. That said, I don't know if there's a correlation, but it seems the more "beautiful" and "extraordinary-looking" a young actress is the worse they are at acting. Or maybe it's the harder it is to believe them? I can't tell. But as for Young Hollywood, you've got Camilla Belle, Amanda Seyfried, Scarlett Johansson like you said, Teresa Palmer. Palmer is often passable, but the others are either horrendous, self-conscious, or utterly forgettable performers. Then again, the same really goes for MOST of young actresses working today, whether they be considered "extraordinary-looking" or "average" or whatever. Among the young actresses you've listed pavonine, Stone, Stewart, Lively, Green, Mara and Watson would definitely fall under the category of forgettable. In my opinion anyway (I have yet to be impressed by Mara, sorry). Of course, that could also be due to the general climate in Hollywood (and society in general) that forces women to internalize the male gaze. When you're worried about how you look all the time, it's kind of hard to let go and act.

So, for me, extraordinary or conventional--I've never really thought about her looks like that--I'm much more impressed that she can act as freely and confidently as she can at the tender age of 22. THAT's commendable.
I suppose looks are entirely subjective then since I find Alexis Bledel absolutely stunning.. I would also say that a fair few people agree as well and given that she scored the part of the "beautiful but shy" girl in the sisterhood of the travelling pants , I'd say certain casting directors would agree with me too!

Now as for Jeniffer Lawrence I personally find her pretty(in a youthful girl-next door fashion) and extremely talented. I love her personality which seems free spirited , grounded and uncontrived. She doesn't seem like a manufactured publicity craving starlet, which I really respect her for! Remember these people are actresses not beauty pageant contestants , they're here to convey a persona and make a story line seem believable! Jeniffer succeeds because she's not a rigid one dimensional actress AND she's attractive and charismatic ! A combination that's rare in young hollywood.

Last edited by WerbowyStegner; 21-01-2013 at 06:27 AM.

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2012, 2013, february, jennifer, lawrence