How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Star Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

10-02-2013
fashion insider

Quote:
Originally Posted by frieda View Post
Not a fan of the BAFTAs dress, but it's the best dress she's worn at the major awards shows, I can't lie.

She still looks sick though, and the lack of styling isn't helping in disguising it...
totally agree, she can do way better

10-02-2013
V.I.P.

She looks really lovely at the BAFTAs (and in the slick orange dress).
I am a tad tired of strapless though...

Fashion: Don’t you recognize me? Death: You should know that I don’t see very well and I can’t wear glasses. Fashion: I’m Fashion, your sister. Death: My sister? Fashion: Yes. You and I together keep undoing and changing things down here on earth although you go about it in one way and I another. Giacomo Leopardi, “Dialogue Between Fashion and Death.”abridged

10-02-2013
fashion icon

Poor thing looks tired at the BAFTAs, but she's stunning as always.

10-02-2013
V.I.P.

While the dress is pretty. Who the hell is it that keeps on slicking down her hair. It doesn't suit her at all. She needs bounce. Rachel Zoe just doesn't get her. She needs to go back to whoever dressed for in the red Oscar dress. Jennifer should be kicking *** on the red carpet.

10-02-2013
When in doubt, wear red.

Beautiful dress but the hair is again really bad. It ruins everything. Besides I really don't like its color. I wish she had kept her darker hair from Silver Linnings or at least got back to full blond, this ain't working.

10-02-2013
tfs star

The past two looks are wonderful especially that short orange dress.

10-02-2013
V.I.P.

EE British Academy Film Awards, London - 2/10/13 (HQs)

tlfan.to

10-02-2013
.my prison is your brain.

She has a big bust, broad shoulders, stop with the strapless gowns already.
I have been loving her minimal/womanly day dresses she's been wearing for events lately, just wish her red carpet style could be sorted out.

10-02-2013
front row

Prettypretty! She has definitely become my favourite actress in hollywood right now. I loved her whole look, even the slicked back hair, I don't think anything else would have worked for her given the weather conditions.

10-02-2013
tfs star

Okay, so I saw SLP and don't really understand the hype over her role. She was good but it was the same kind of gregarious-ness (maybe opinionated is a better word) that's reminiscent of how she comes across in real life.
By all means, I'm not saying that it's a bad thing to deviate towards what comes naturally to oneself nor am I downplaying her talent. I think her role WB was incredible so it's obvious what range she has. But, to me, this movie had more to do with chemistry between characters than one lone character, though I do think Bradley Cooper was the standout.
I haven't seen the other nominated actresses' films, maybe her role is better than theirs but I have my doubts.

10-02-2013
tfs star

^^^I agree. Honestly, I loved SLP and a huge part of my love for it is that it's an ensemble piece. None of it would work without all the pieces of the puzzle. And if anybody deserved to be singled out for recognition, it's Cooper, who was incredible. Jen was great, too--as per usual (I have to say, she's one of maybe three young actresses that I'm truly excited about, talent-wise)--but I can smell Harvey all over this. Sorry. She's right to thank him in her speeches, because really everybody was great in this film; there's no one performance that stood out to me (aside from Cooper's and he was the lead, so that's a given). They were all strong across the board. Then again, this may be vicarious jealousy (if that's a thing, lol) for Quvenzhane Wallis, who I really wish would win. But alas.

She looks gorgeous though. This is the first look of hers at a major awards show this season that I've actually liked. She's not my best dressed of the night, but she looks divine and her body is so killer. Ugh.

10-02-2013
front row

^^ I thought her performance was great, she's a good actress and that really shone through. I'm glad I saw it before the "hype" because I think I would have the same opinion as you two and expect way more. But I saw it before the Oscar nod and when they announced her name I could definitely see why. Having said that, I haven't seen any of the other nominees but I think it's safe to say that the acting standards today don't really require a lot. I don't want to take away from Emmanuelle Riva though because I'm sure she's amazing and I haven't seen anything she's been in but the others on the list don't have a large breadth of work from which to go by so...I have to go with Jen because her performance is pretty Oscar worthy imo.

Speaking of which, I hope she steps it up in the fashion department and looks great from head to toe. She's got a lot to work with so she should be on top of her game by that time.

Last edited by affaireducoeur; 10-02-2013 at 07:54 PM.

10-02-2013
fashion elite

i don't think any actress her age would have been able to do that role in SLP as good as Jennifer did. Sure it wasn't anything completely groundbreaking but she nailed the character's emotions

i've seen her in a few movies before seeing SLP and wasn't a fan of hers but this movie made me like her.

Last edited by fashionmuse; 10-02-2013 at 08:26 PM.

10-02-2013
rising star

She's a knockout in that orange dress. Her dress at the BAFTAs is nice but nothing spectacular. I hope she brings it come Oscar night.

11-02-2013
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickadee View Post
I can smell Harvey all over this. Sorry. She's right to thank him in her speeches, because really everybody was great in this film; there's no one performance that stood out to me (aside from Cooper's and he was the lead, so that's a given).
I know everyone's mileage varies, but I don't think it's correct to say that the only reason JLaw is receiving the buzz she is is because of Harvey. I've been following this movie since pre-production and remember crystal clear the kind of reaction it got after its world premiere at TIFF last year. People left the very first screening raving about JENNIFER, not anyone else. The general consensus was: "the entire cast is great. Lawrence is SUBLIME." Critics who attended the screening were declaring the Best Actress race already won as soon as they walked out the theatre. Well before Harvey started using his Weinstein "magic" to cement her Oscar campaign, Jennifer Lawrence was getting the most praise for her part and was instantly noted by experts as the frontrunner for Best Actress. Her buzz and her hype began the first time SLP's credits started rolling.

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2012, 2013, february, jennifer, lawrence