How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Star Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

12-01-2013
I don't know

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickadee View Post
Saw Zero Dark Thirty the other night, and while her performance is not the most showy, or obvious Oscar fodder, it's still very good and poignant, and perhaps all the more commendable for its subtlety. I have to admit, while I was first watching it I kept wondering why on earth she was sweeping the awards. I've seen her better. Or so I thought. But as you get deeper into the film, it becomes slowly clearer. Honestly, though, I think she deserves an Oscar for the film's final shot alone. It's an incredible, beautiful scene where she doesn't say a word, but it's perhaps the singularly most powerful shot from this film year (2012).
So true, she made all the right decisions in how to approach this role. Others might have made it more showy but her subtle approach gave the film another layer and completely different edge. She let it out at just the right times and just enough for the character to not go overboard.

While the character development wasn't as in your face as in other films the final scene definitely sealed it for her.

I can also see why Rooney Mara was previously considered and could have seen her do a good job as well, but not sure if she could ever deliver the way Chastain does here.

12-01-2013
fashion insider

Quote:
Saw Zero Dark Thirty the other night, and while her performance is not the most showy, or obvious Oscar fodder, it's still very good and poignant, and perhaps all the more commendable for its subtlety. I have to admit, while I was first watching it I kept wondering why on earth she was sweeping the awards. I've seen her better. Or so I thought. But as you get deeper into the film, it becomes slowly clearer. Honestly, though, I think she deserves an Oscar for the film's final shot alone. It's an incredible, beautiful scene where she doesn't say a word, but it's perhaps the singularly most powerful shot from this film year (2012).
You've sort of perfectly summarised my thoughts on her performance. All throughout the film I felt oddly detached from the plot and her performance until towards the end where Bigelow's direction and Chastain's performance met to make something extra special. The raid was also an exceptional piece of film-making that portrayed both the reality and the human side to it.

I still find the film's very existence problematic and some of scenes did seem to me to be lazy choices by the film-makers that did not fit the tone of the film at all. I think they could have waited a few years to make it.

12-01-2013
tfs star

^^^That's definitely been one of the biggest complaints I've heard. But in its defense, Mark Boal had been working on the script before bin Laden was killed, and likely operated under the belief--like so many of us--that he'd never be caught so might as well do it now.

That said, one of the problems I had initially with the character, I've realized, is that it seemed she didn't actually have a character. We know absolutely nothing about Maya beyond her obsession with bin Laden, not what kind of music she likes, what kind of beliefs or philosophy she holds; but in retrospect I think that was kind of the point. She spent her twelve years of her life on this single-minded pursuit. This is her life. She has no interests and no friends outside of this thing. This makes her performance all the more impressive, considering she's got to convey some kind of personality and essentially breathe life into a character that's more an emotion than an actual person.

Last edited by chickadee; 12-01-2013 at 02:24 PM.

12-01-2013
fashion insider

Yeah I do understand that argument and I was thinking of it when I finished the film. As soon as Osama Bin Laden was killed I imagine all the studios wanted to commission a film and Boal and Bigelow were lucky that they were already making one about the failed raid.

I think the end is her personality and her character coming through. It is her realisation that since her main drive has gone, so has her mask and therefore she has to re-evaluate who she is. Unlike Ehle's character, Maya completely lived the chase for Bin Laden day and night and had done for years so that is what she was defined by.

On a sort of side note, I don't know if you have seen it but there was a documentary on the raid that there was done shortly after his death that I found fascinating, probably more so than ZD30.

12-01-2013
tfs star

I haven't seen it. What's it called?

Also, on a fashion note, was I the only one who found it weird to see Jessica on screen in modern day clothes? I'm so used to her in "Tree of Life," "The Help," and "The Debt" mode, it was almost like, 'Wow, this is weird..." whenever I saw her parading around in jeans. Also, her hair was gorgeous and curly at the beginning of the movie.

12-01-2013
fashion insider

It's called Bin Laden: Shoot to Kill and it has interviews with Obama, Hilary Clinton and many of the military figures involved in the mission.

I actually really loved what she wore in ZD30 especially her in those sunglasses. They made her look really cool and badass.

12-01-2013
V.I.P.

Quote:
That said, one of the problems I had initially with the character, I've realized, is that it seemed she didn't actually have a character. We know absolutely nothing about Maya beyond her obsession with bin Laden, not what kind of music she likes, what kind of beliefs or philosophy she holds; but in retrospect I think that was kind of the point. She spent her twelve years of her life on this single-minded pursuit. This is her life. She has no interests and no friends outside of this thing. This makes her performance all the more impressive, considering she's got to convey some kind of personality and essentially breathe life into a character that's more an emotion than an actual person.
this is because you have to remember they cannot give away the true identity of who Maya is because she is still out there and it would put her at risk to be identified. you start putting in her little quirks like what music she liked, her religion, philosophy it might catch on to somebody/people who didn't notice it before to start noticing and who initially might not have her best interest at heart. it would be another story if someone/people actually got to the person who found and got the most wanted man in history killed.

she did a phenomenal job not only did she keep you engaged in the job at hand finding bin laden but she kept you fighting for her because all of a sudden her life became nothing else but this; no family, friends, lovers to fall back on for support who could take her psychologically and emotionally away from the job. i'm sure she would of wanted to have a network of these people around her but she knew it would be draining/too much to give what she knew she didn't have it in her give at that time to people or anyone but bin laden.

sometimes she didn't even have the support from the people who assigned her the job to find him. almost getting killed 2-3 times, how many of us would hold out for so long without saying that's it i've had enough find someone else to do it. it's not as if the US government didn't have a whole list of people waiting in line to do the job of finding bin laden. the final scene i was sobbing for her like a baby

13-01-2013
V.I.P.

dailymail.co.uk

13-01-2013
V.I.P.

I hope she'll be at the Golden Globes tonight and that she wears something spectacular.

13-01-2013
V.I.P.

Jessica Chastain at the 2013 Golden Globe awards

fabfashionfix.com

13-01-2013
fashion icon

While there's no doubt that she looks amazing, I can't help but think she's worn something similar before. Am I right or am I just imagining things?

13-01-2013
fashion insider

Her hair always bores me. I love this pop of color, though the bust is a little unflattering.

13-01-2013
tfs star

^The bust is definitely unflattering. The color is amazing on her though. Such a shame

13-01-2013
V.I.P.

She won! Congrats Jessica!

13-01-2013
V.I.P.

I don't care for this outfit at all. I hope she wears something better for the Academy Awards.

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2010, 2013, august, chastain, february, jessica