(Kate Middleton) Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge (December 2009 - April 2011) - Page 46 - the Fashion Spot

How to Join
30-03-2011
rising star

^yes I agree with you on that!!!

But I think the problem with Kate is that the media keeps calling her a style icon and chic.
And that annoys alot of people.

30-03-2011
front row

Personally, for me it is because I would sort of like to imagine royals as somewhat special, well, somehow above me: more wordly, more elegant, more competent, more intelligent ... and when they are not, well, it just completely spoils their appeal for me. not that it's Kate's fault, of course. she is just a normal English girl and that's fine. they make a lovely couple and seem very nice.

30-03-2011
V.I.P.

^That's a really good point and I completely agree.

30-03-2011
rising star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacroix View Post
What I meant is, my idea of a modern day 'princess' etc and what her fashion choices would be doesn't translate to how Kate dresses (this is my opinion, I'm sorry if people disagee. Afterall it's just fashion and not overly important but still). In some of her outfits, I truly think she looks like a frump. I disagree that those outfits (that I'm referring to) are either chic or classic or classy. The way I see it is, she is a young woman with a sense of fashion that works against her. Something about her matronly outdated clothes makes her appear awkward. I don't think there's anything wrong with embracing fashion when you're a public figure who has to present themselves in a certain light. It is expected.
I'm not saying that she shouldn't dress nicely, what I meant was I think it is her "style" to not dress, well, flashy is a good word for it I guess. When I mentioned Chanel handbags and Loubs I meant that I feel they are too obvious. Her style is more understated. Burberry coats and her Issa dresses are a good choice for her because they are not obvious. Her little dark brown Mulberry purse (or was it a diary) is another example.

I'm not saying the individual items she picks are all good. I don't think they are, this is where I think she needs help. The Burberry coat was the best thing I've seen in months, but it still suited her and she didn't look like she had been dressed in someone else's clothes. She needs to wear more things like this I think.

30-03-2011
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lina5 View Post
Personally, for me it is because I would sort of like to imagine royals as somewhat special, well, somehow above me: more wordly, more elegant, more competent, more intelligent ... and when they are not, well, it just completely spoils their appeal for me. not that it's Kate's fault, of course. she is just a normal English girl and that's fine. they make a lovely couple and seem very nice.
I agree too. I don't have a problem with her and I think some people both here and in general get defensive and offended when people say that they dislike her style and criticize it as if it's a dig at her. I mean, no one except those close to her know what she's like. Fashion, we can judge her on. The rest...well it's not so cut and dry

04-04-2011
backstage pass

katemiddletonfan.net
Not sure if we had seen these

Quote:
Here are several photos taken on Wednesday February 9th when Kate was seen having lunch with her future mother in law Camilla.

04-04-2011
V.I.P.

Whistles Reissues Kate Middleton's Engagement Blouse

Email
Written by sasha on Apr-4-11 3:53pm

(Getty Images)

Kate Middleton's Whistles blouse
If you're the type who's been stalking Kate Middleton's every fashion choice and have been hankering to get your hands on her royal stylings, then this is for you.

For her engagement photos with Prince William, Kate famously wore a cream ruffled blouse by high street chain Whistles. Unfortunately, the top was from Kate's own closet and several seasons old. But never fear, Whistles has quickly reissued the famous top, renaming it the Kate blouse.

The vintage-inspired silk top is now available online and in stores. When the top was first released in 2008, it was priced around $153, now it costs a handy $200. Whether it was inflation, rising material costs or simply an arbitrary price increase, it's still a reasonable price for a piece of royal style.
stylebistro

04-04-2011
trendsetter

i bet that top sells out quick!

04-04-2011
V.I.P.

I think her makeup in post #681 looks really bad. I bet she did that herself and if so, she needs some pointers from those in the know.

05-04-2011
front row

The only way I could describe the above look is "flat". Her makeup makes her usually glowing face look dull, her hair needs some volume and the colors of her clothes are very neutral. She's looks lovely in bight colors and should definitely experiment with them some more.

05-04-2011
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4everinprogress View Post
The only way I could describe the above look is "flat". Her makeup makes her usually glowing face look dull, her hair needs some volume and the colors of her clothes are very neutral. She's looks lovely in bight colors and should definitely experiment with them some more.
Hope she will experiment more!
Posted via Mobile Device

05-04-2011
backstage pass

I am anticipating the royal wedding with as much (or more!) fervor as anyone else, so I was thrilled to find this thread. I think Kate--for the most part--dresses extremely well and in such a way to fit her culture and eminent place in society.But she also dresses her age and has a distinct look that's her own. Most of the ISSA gowns, for instance, the black suede boots. You can tell that she's wealthy but not flagrant about it. I do agree, though, that a hair and makeup team might be a little in order. But she still looks great, and she's lucky enough to photograph perfectly. She is someone I will definitely emulate in my own style in the ways that fit me.

06-04-2011
oh! darling

I always was rather fond of her style. I could really never see what was wrong with it.

I think I am correct in inferring that Kate dresses herself, so she does a decent job of doing the best that she can with the money she's got. It's alright.

07-04-2011
V.I.P.

I really like what she's wearing in post #681 . Not loving the jacket, but the rest I like^^.

07-04-2011
fashion insider

Quote:
Originally Posted by papa_levante View Post
I always was rather fond of her style. I could really never see what was wrong with it.

I think I am correct in inferring that Kate dresses herself, so she does a decent job of doing the best that she can with the money she's got. It's alright.
This is very true. Kate has been doing it all herself. Even for these last few public engagements she has worn her own clothes. She is told what the event is and where it will be and from that she decides what to wear from what she owns, or she goes out and buys something on her own.

I expect that after the wedding she will have help from a stylist. I hope this means her style will become a bit more interesting, but I know she is a simple girl with classic tastes, so I don't think she will branch out too much. However, I think her style will develop over time, and she will settle in to something that works for her and for the British public.

Overall, she dresses fine, it's just not that interesting for some of us who prefer to have a bit more to look at. Of course there are times when she makes fashion mistakes, but haven't we all been there? I try to remind myself that she is a normal girl who has been put in a very extraordinary position and I think overall she has coped very well. I was looking at my wardrobe the other day and imagining how I would be received if every time I stepped out my door my outfit was photographed...I'm not sure any of us would be praised for all of our outfits either. Just MHO.

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2009, 2011, april, cambridge, catherine, december, duchess, kate, middleton