How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Star Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

07-04-2011
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by papa_levante View Post
I always was rather fond of her style. I could really never see what was wrong with it.

I think I am correct in inferring that Kate dresses herself, so she does a decent job of doing the best that she can with the money she's got. It's alright.
I couldn't agree more. And in the next 2-3 years I assume that her style will slowly evolve, but right now? It's fine. I don't understand all the harsh criticism.

07-04-2011
trendsetter

Well said, I absolutely agree. The fact that she has to shop for herself, pay for it herself and apparently is not allowed to accept gifts, of clothing or anything else. To do it all without a stylist has, I think, been a steep learning curve for her. I'm sure she'll have help when it comes to choosing outfits for her Canada trip, l think I read she'll require something like 30 outfits.

The other bit in the news about her apparently wanting to wear flowers in her hair sounds great if it's true, sound like she's going for something really romantic. I think the wedding dress will be a really opportunity for her to make a strong statement about her style.

07-04-2011
oh! darling

Quote:
I try to remind myself that she is a normal girl who has been put in a very extraordinary position and I think overall she has coped very well.
True. Lots of pressure. But she does well for herself. I never saw anything wrong with the boots she sported either. I'd say the only thing I never liked Kate wearing was what she wore at that fashion show where she apparently wow-ed the Prince. HORRENDOUS.

07-04-2011
front row

I think I expected her to dress more like a "princess". I obvioulsy had this false romanticized idea of what a princess should dress like thanks to Disney and other movies. But it's true that she's a regular girl thats been thrown into the spotlight. And although I respect the fact that she has to pay for things herself I'm sure her future husband can afford to buy her some nicer things every one in a while

07-04-2011
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlepaperstars View Post
Well said, I absolutely agree. The fact that she has to shop for herself, pay for it herself and apparently is not allowed to accept gifts, of clothing or anything else.
Why is that?

07-04-2011
trendsetter

It goes against Royal protocol. They're not allowed to be seen to 'corporate' in any way.

07-04-2011
V.I.P.

She's not really a normal girl though. She had a very privileged upbringing. Also, cost has nothing to do with style and I don't see how it's an excuse. People say she's having to fund her wardrobe etc herself. Well, she has Prada bags and Burberry trenches so she obviously has money but regardless someone could dress only in high-street and look more stylish than someone in head to toe designer.

Last edited by Lacroix; 07-04-2011 at 07:50 PM.

07-04-2011
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacroix View Post
She's not really a normal girl though. She had a very privileged upbringing. Also, cost has nothing to do with style and I don't see how it's an excuse.
How did she have a privileged upbringing? I was always under the impression that she came from an upper middle class family.

07-04-2011
V.I.P.

Is that not privileged? It's not the norm to go to expensive, elite private schools nor to live in beautiful, expensive houses. If that is not privileged compared to the masses, I don't know what is.

07-04-2011
V.I.P.

The only issue I have with her style: she insists on wearing those 80's, power suit blazers.

Other than that, I agree, she does the best she can for someone who isn't naturally fashionable. She dresses simple and this is probably why a lot of her clothes sell out so fast in stores. It's relatable style.

07-04-2011
V.I.P.

Lacroix is right she did have a better start than most in life. Her parents are millionaires and if they have enough money to buy her a new Audi, a flat in London and finance her holiday's then they could certainly afford to buy her great clothes.

I agree with idea too that you don't need to spend a fortune to look great either. The problem I have with her is that she dresses to old for her age. She wears bland colors, dowdy cuts and weird patterns most of the time. Now she has worn some great Issa dresses that flatter her figure but mostly imo they're "safe" clothes that age her a lot. Especially those boots. I hope she wears more heels because she has such great legs, she shouldn't hide them in those hideous boots.

08-04-2011
front row

You can look good even on a budget, you don't only look good in designer clothes. If you are on a budget then buy the right pieces that you can mix & match.
She does look great in Issa but as their cuts & styles are the same it would be very boring if she wears them all the time.

10-04-2011
V.I.P.

ELLE No.3401 (4 - 10 mars 2011) ebook30

10-04-2011
V.I.P.

Why does she always wear those ugly boots?

10-04-2011
tfs star

Maybe she just doesn't care about style. It's hard to believe on a fashion forum, but there are actually people who don't give that much thought to what they wear. Some of my friends look at me like I'm speaking a foreign language when I start talking about cuts and shapes and how to dress for a body type... they just tell me I'm over analyzing and that as long as the colors match, who cares?

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2009, 2011, april, cambridge, catherine, december, duchess, kate, middleton