How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Star Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

09-11-2005
Adorable illusion

^ I agree

Its weird this whole thread so far is dedicated to whether she is ugly or pretty. I have noticed that she is getting a lot of bad negative feedback particularly from other Chinese people..not here on tfs but with a lot of people I talk to.

09-11-2005
rising star

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintage_princess
^ I agree

Its weird this whole thread so far is dedicated to whether she is ugly or pretty. I have noticed that she is getting a lot of bad negative feedback particularly from other Chinese people..not here on tfs but with a lot of people I talk to.

It's all jealousy. I think it's sad that she is getting all these negative comments. As an asian myself(burmese) I'm proud that there is actually someone who is out there to represent us since ,in my opinion, there isn't enough asian actresses on the market and those who made it through are ususally typecast as martial arts fighters!

09-11-2005
Adorable illusion

^ I agree. I dont think there are a lot of Chinese actresses/ actors who make big Hollywood films..

09-11-2005
V.I.P.

^As an Oriental person myself, I think the negativity spawns from the fact that their thinking mentality behind famous people is that they should be sublimely beautiful. The focus is not so much on talent or substance. In Hong Kong, half the famous people are only famous because they've got killer bods or very beautiful faces but they can't hold a tune or act credibly.

In comparisom to those stars, it is true Katie Leung is not extremely beautiful and as BBC (British Born Chinese) girls go, I have to admit fairly average. But I think it would be wrong to overlook her talent because they really did scour the country for the perfect Cho Chang. So in conclusion, why are we discussing her scale of prettiness? Let's just celebrate her style (which I think is pretty cute thus far) and her talent as an actress!

My blog - Style Bubble - http://stylebubble.typepad.com/style_bubble/
09-11-2005
V.I.P.

Quote:
Are you American or British-born?
Born in China, immigrated to America when 5 years old. Still has Chinese citizenship.

09-11-2005
Adorable illusion

Susie. I agree with your last statement!

12-11-2005
Amour Comme Hiver

She has such a cute accent!

Pics from the NYC HP premier... [yahoo]

[such a pretty pic ]

12-11-2005
fashion insider

i find that she is quite pretty as well, although when she sort of fades into the background if she is in the same frame as Emma Watson, who is just gorgeous. or maybe i'm just really biased, because I've adored Emma since the first HP movie.

I am also Oriental, and I think it's awesome that JK Rowling wrote in a pretty big part for a Chinese girl, and that Katie is now bringing Cho Chang to the bigger screen. We can quibble about whether she is pretty or not, but I'm just stoked that she'll be in a big movie and she's not going to be a martial arts fighter or a waitress. Way to go, Katie! :-) I admit I wasn't a huge fan of her casting at the very beginning because I looked at some early pics and thought, bleh, but now I see she is quite a pretty girl. I hope she acts as good as she looks, too.

12-11-2005
tfs star

I just find it offensive that she would let herself be cast in the role of someone named 'cho chang'.

Its ok for mortal kombat games but not to an entire generation of kids. Why not just cast yourself as 'ping pong'..

12-11-2005
V.I.P.

When it was still press time and the producers were thinking about who to cast for the role of Cho Chang the first person that came to mind for me was Kristin Kreuk from Smallville

I think Katie comes off as a cute, genuine nice girl. I can't wait to see her acting and the movie!

13-11-2005
fashion icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinky*
I just find it offensive that she would let herself be cast in the role of someone named 'cho chang'.

Its ok for mortal kombat games but not to an entire generation of kids. Why not just cast yourself as 'ping pong'..
lol, you crack me up.
very true!
i'll give you karma when i can...cause i can't at the moment. sorry.

13-11-2005
windowshopping

I love her dress at the NY premiere (gettyimages.com)

13-11-2005
V.I.P.

Gorgeous! who is the designer by the way?
thanks for the pic!

13-11-2005
Adorable illusion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinky*

I know, I hate the way people make up fake Chinese names like that because the character is meant to be Chinese.

13-11-2005
V.I.P.

I like her style more than Emma's, but I need to see GoF first to see how her acting is

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
katie, leung