How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Star Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

15-11-2005
trendsetter

I'm not crazy about her NYC premiere dress, but I think she's very pretty. She looks exactly how I always envisioned Cho would look like. She looks very sweet. I think Cho Chang is a sweet girl (until the 5th book when she acts like an immature teenage girl.....of course, she is an immature teen girl, so that's a pretty good excuse, hehe.) I felt sorry for her in the 6th book. She was so embarrassed whenever she saw Harry!

15-11-2005
V.I.P.

we haven't seen her at many events, so we can't exactly decide whether you/i/we like her sense of style or not.

15-11-2005
scenester

In my opinion she looks very nice with make-up, but her natural face I don't like it, the dress in London premier was really cute. I don't know much stuff about her yet, she has a few lines in Hp, so maybe when she does something else I can have a better opinion of her.

front row

In the chinese culture, those with really flat noses are considered ugly. That's why lots of chinese girls in HK especially now are opting for nose jobs to make their noses sharper.

Katie has one of the widest, flattest noses I have ever seen.

16-11-2005
front row

Not gonna lie...I don't find her to be very pretty. I do like the Matthew Williamson dress though...It sucks that the only asian roles out there have to invlolve either karate or some other type of martial arts...jackie chan, Jet Lee, etc. And in this case...her name has to be Cho Chung?...why cant there be any non stereo typed roles out there?! Hoping that this girl might branch out and not follow in the footsteps of another karate action hero of some sort...lol. sigh.

16-11-2005
backstage pass

i think she is really beautiful, and dresses well. Why does she have to be the prettiest asian girl, i don't get it. It's because she is in the minority people are like "oh there are prettier asians". It would just be like if there was an australian actor, someone saying "Oh there are way hotter guys in Australia. Look who cares. She may have more of a chance of a career outlasting HP because she is only doing two movies. Whereas the main actors will be stuck typecast as the harry potter characters. Anyway good luck to her.

16-11-2005
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by australian_girl
i think she is really beautiful, and dresses well. Why does she have to be the prettiest asian girl, i don't get it. It's because she is in the minority people are like "oh there are prettier asians". It would just be like if there was an australian actor, someone saying "Oh there are way hotter guys in Australia. Look who cares. She may have more of a chance of a career outlasting HP because she is only doing two movies. Whereas the main actors will be stuck typecast as the harry potter characters. Anyway good luck to her.
I agree. And just because she is an actress, doesn't mean she has to be the prettiest Asian. Not all actors are the most beautiful people in the world, but they still have great careers and are admired for their work!

16-11-2005
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAlights
Not gonna lie...I don't find her to be very pretty. I do like the Matthew Williamson dress though...It sucks that the only asian roles out there have to invlolve either karate or some other type of martial arts...jackie chan, Jet Lee, etc. And in this case...her name has to be Cho Chung?...why cant there be any non stereo typed roles out there?! Hoping that this girl might branch out and not follow in the footsteps of another karate action hero of some sort...lol. sigh.
But in HP, Cho does not do any martial arts. She is a very normal British girl, shopping and dating boys. despite her Asian heritage, she is a British girl/witch. I fail to see the stereotype you see. If her parents named her "Cho" it's because of some family reason. A family name, a tradition in their family. There is nothing wrong with this, imo.

16-11-2005
V.I.P.

i agree.

16-11-2005
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTstyle
But in HP, Cho does not do any martial arts. She is a very normal British girl, shopping and dating boys. despite her Asian heritage, she is a British girl/witch. I fail to see the stereotype you see. If her parents named her "Cho" it's because of some family reason. A family name, a tradition in their family. There is nothing wrong with this, imo.
good point. but im just saying that asian stereotypes (or in this case "asian" names") dont always have to be associated with the roles taken on by asian actors.

16-11-2005
backstage pass

Asians seem to be treated so critically by other Asians. [Actress name] isn't as beautiful as the girls walking the streets of Hong Kong, China, etc. What's the point of this? Then get those girls on the streets to go into acting. I think it's great that Asians are making progress.

16-11-2005
Adorable illusion

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifer716
In the chinese culture, those with really flat noses are considered ugly. That's why lots of chinese girls in HK especially now are opting for nose jobs to make their noses sharper.

Katie has one of the widest, flattest noses I have ever seen.
Thats really sad for HK actresses to get nose jobs. I think that sometimes for asian actresses a more wider nose suits their face more anyway and not a long thin nose..

I think theres nothing wrong with katie's nose..shes very cute looking already.

16-11-2005
front row

Her nose is totally fine, and suits her face well. I can't speak for Asia, but her nose is not at all considered ugly by the standards of her fanbase here (America). In fact, a lot of people consider her nose attractive here. Honestly, I thtink it would be sad if she got plastic surgery and got that fake, column-like nose that so many girls get...it wouldn't look any better than her current nose.

Secondly, I think it's really sad that a) Asian girls here have felt a huge need to criticize her and b) People seem to feel a need to compare her to other Asian girls and ONLY compare her to other Asian girls. First off, there's enough room (or there SHOULD be enough room) for plenty of different "Asian" looks to be considered beautiful--I mean, think of all the different "white" looks you see represented on magazine covers...why should it be any different for Asians? Why do Asians have to restrict themselves to a narrow definition of what Asian beauty should be when whites are allowed to have all different "types" of looks considered pretty?

Also, if you see an Asian actress--especially one in an American movie where English is spoken-- why is it necessary to criticize her compared ONLY compared to other Asian girls? Either don't criticize her or criticize her compared to ALL other actresses.

Last edited by Sunkist; 16-11-2005 at 08:55 PM.
16-11-2005
Adorable illusion

Well said Sunkist! karma !!

16-11-2005
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunkist
Her nose is totally fine, and suits her face well. I can't speak for Asia, but her nose is not at all considered ugly by the standards of her fanbase here (America). In fact, a lot of people consider her nose attractive here. Honestly, I thtink it would be sad if she got plastic surgery and got that fake, column-like nose that so many girls get...it wouldn't look any better than her current nose.

Secondly, I think it's really sad that a) Asian girls here have felt a huge need to criticize her and b) People seem to feel a need to compare her to other Asian girls and ONLY compare her to other Asian girls. First off, there's enough room (or there SHOULD be enough room) for plenty of different "Asian" looks to be considered beautiful--I mean, think of all the different "white" looks you see represented on magazine covers...why should it be any different for Asians? Why do Asians have to restrict themselves to a narrow definition of what Asian beauty should be when whites are allowed to have all different "types" of looks considered pretty?

Also, if you see an Asian actress--especially one in an American movie where English is spoken-- why is it necessary to criticize her compared ONLY compared to other Asian girls? Either don't criticize her or criticize her compared to ALL other actresses.
I think in Asia, most people want to emulate caucasians. That's why everyone wants to have white milky skin and that's why brands like Anna Sui have a whitening cream range that is only available in Asia and not abroad. Same with L'oreal. Basically, there is a general consensus in Asia that Asian girls are not as pretty as their caucasian counterparts which is why you may hear people say "So so is pretty....... for an Asian". Based on this, to criticize an Asian actress in comparison to caucasian actresses means that even a pretty Asian actress would be deemed hideous.

That's why I think people tend to compare Asians to their own race. Another thing is, with most Asian actresses who make it "big" in Hollywood like Gong Li, Bai Ling, Michelle Yeo, Zhang Ziyi, they develop this horrible attitude where they think they're really hot **** because they're Asian and from China or wherever and still made it big. You have to remember Hollywood may seem like a big deal in America/Europe but it's an even bigger deal in Asia. A lot of people look up to caucasians in HK. So many local girls here want to go out with expat boyfriends. I'm not really sure why either but my cousin is local here and she absolutely dotes on Caucasian males. For some reason, she thinks ALL caucasian males are attractive even though some are really quite hideous. I think it's a cultural thing. I don't think Lucy Liu is like that though. Maybe cause she grew up in America. But I read an interview with Katie Leung somewhere and she already sounded a bit stuck up. I know she grew up in Scotland.. but still.

Anyway the point is, causians and asians have different standards of beauty and like I said, it's probably a cultural thing which may be sad, but it's the truth!

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
katie, leung