How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Star Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
16-11-2005
  91
Adorable illusion
 
vintage_princess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: London
Gender: femme
Posts: 6,644
No offense to you or your cousin, but it sounds like she wants a caucasian man because a lot of white men are considered "rich". Its very common for women to want a man for his money...

__________________
"...jus flip up ur collar, pull up ur sleeves and wear it loose... done less FOB like"

  Reply With Quote
 
16-11-2005
  92
front row
 
Ce'nedra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 438
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifer716
I think in Asia, most people want to emulate caucasians. That's why everyone wants to have white milky skin and that's why brands like Anna Sui have a whitening cream range that is only available in Asia and not abroad. Same with L'oreal. Basically, there is a general consensus in Asia that Asian girls are not as pretty as their caucasian counterparts which is why you may hear people say "So so is pretty....... for an Asian". Based on this, to criticize an Asian actress in comparison to caucasian actresses means that even a pretty Asian actress would be deemed hideous.

That's why I think people tend to compare Asians to their own race. Another thing is, with most Asian actresses who make it "big" in Hollywood like Gong Li, Bai Ling, Michelle Yeo, Zhang Ziyi, they develop this horrible attitude where they think they're really hot **** because they're Asian and from China or wherever and still made it big. You have to remember Hollywood may seem like a big deal in America/Europe but it's an even bigger deal in Asia. A lot of people look up to caucasians in HK. So many local girls here want to go out with expat boyfriends. I'm not really sure why either but my cousin is local here and she absolutely dotes on Caucasian males. For some reason, she thinks ALL caucasian males are attractive even though some are really quite hideous. I think it's a cultural thing. I don't think Lucy Liu is like that though. Maybe cause she grew up in America. But I read an interview with Katie Leung somewhere and she already sounded a bit stuck up. I know she grew up in Scotland.. but still.

Anyway the point is, causians and asians have different standards of beauty and like I said, it's probably a cultural thing which may be sad, but it's the truth!
I agree with what you said about alot of Asians tend to emulate Caucasians in terms of facial features, etc. That's probably why mixed race celebrities (i.e Asian and white) are so popular in Asia. Even if they're a plain looking Eurasian, they're regarded as drop dead gorgeous because they happen to possess some Caucasian structural features.

However, i disagree with the whole white skin issue.
To Asians, having fair skin alludes to being of 'upper class', not necessarily having anything to do with looking Caucasian.
And also, Asians such as Chinese, Koreans and Japanese (i.e East Asians) generally have naturally fair skin in the first place.
To most Asians, particularly those living in Asia, having dark skin would someohow link you to being a farmer/not so higly regarded occupation. Silly but true.

  Reply With Quote
16-11-2005
  93
front row
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Gender: femme
Posts: 205
If I understand correctly, the preference for white skin has to do not with emulating caucasians, but with the fact that in China/India/etc. white skin means you do not have to do manual labor, and in countries that are still heavily agrarian, this is a way of showing higher class status. The preference was in place long before Caucasians had any major influence in those parts of the world. Also, I might point out that the current "white" trend here in the States, and in parts of the Europe (Italy, for example) is actually the opposite--heavy tanning.

Also, even if the prevalent attitude is that "whtie is better and even the prettiest Asian girl is hideous compared to whites" that doesn't mean people have to or should buy into it and reinforce it here! The posters here are genrally a smart, worldly, educated, enlightened bunch, which is why I'm particularly sad to see such attitudes here. Also, posters here may well have careers in fashion, publicity, etc. someday, so they ARE going to be in a position to either change these attitudes about beauty or reinforce them...and I think it would make a lot of young girls' lives better if they try to change attitudes like these that just end up hurting a lot of people's self-image and make them hate what race they are.


ETA: VIntage princess, I think you make a good point...a lot of girls are golddiggers and expats in Asia are almost always rich by local (Asian) standards...this is true of Latin America too. Plus, a lot of them want to come to the US and one of the best ways to come to the US and be middle class or above when they get here is to marry a US citizen with a decent job. And if they do prefer white guys for other reasons or become stuck up if they get white guys, that's once again because of attitudes and thinking that might not be the best way to look at things. But posters here don't have to buy into those attitudes, in fact they can actually change them, especially if they have a career in fashion.


Last edited by Sunkist; 16-11-2005 at 09:21 PM.
  Reply With Quote
16-11-2005
  94
front row
 
Ce'nedra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 438
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunkist
If I understand correctly, the preference for white skin has to do not with emulating caucasians, but with the fact that in China/India/etc. white skin means you do not have to do manual labor, and in countries that are still heavily agrarian, this is a way of showing higher class status. The preference was in place long before Caucasians had any major influence in those parts of the world. Also, I might point out that the current "white" trend here in the States, and in parts of the Europe (Italy, for example) is actually the opposite--heavy tanning.
Word.

  Reply With Quote
16-11-2005
  95
fashion icon
 
titania's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: down under
Gender: femme
Posts: 3,025
Ce'nedra, I agree with the you on the white skin alluding to social status. I remember going to S.E Asia few years back and everyone stared at me because my skin was white compared to everyone else so, they knew I was from overseas, which meant I had money to travel.

Staying on the topic of Katie, I think she looks fine, healthy and normal and I mean, as long as she's a nice person then her looks really shouldn't matter so much.

  Reply With Quote
16-11-2005
  96
front row
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Gender: femme
Posts: 205
Also, as for Asian actresses acting like hot stuff once they're discovered, this is true of tons of actresses in general, not just Asian ones. Fame changes a lot of people--Asian, white, black, whatever, it messes you up. Plus acting as a profession in general draws a lot of people who are really into themselves to begin with, you can't deny that. It's pretty much a global phenomenon, not limited to race.

  Reply With Quote
16-11-2005
  97
fashion icon
 
titania's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: down under
Gender: femme
Posts: 3,025
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunkist
ETA: VIntage princess, I think you make a good point...a lot of girls are golddiggers and expats in Asia are almost always rich by local (Asian) standards...this is true of Latin America too. Plus, a lot of them want to come to the US and one of the best ways to come to the US and be middle class or above when they get here is to marry a US citizen with a decent job. And if they do prefer white guys for other reasons or become stuck up if they get white guys, that's once again because of attitudes and thinking that might not be the best way to look at things. But posters here don't have to buy into those attitudes, in fact they can actually change them, especially if they have a career in fashion.
I don't think it's just girls, sometimes guys do it too.

  Reply With Quote
16-11-2005
  98
front row
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Toronto
Gender: femme
Posts: 349
i love what she wore to the premieres. She has good taste from what I see even if she's still searching. I think the whole pretty/ugly thing is just a cultural issue. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Being Asian myself...she is average looking. She probably looks better already because she has her hair and makeup done. I think Asians consider sharp noses and big eyes to be pretty, while most..or maybe just some non-Asians have a totally different conception of beautiful Asians.Katie's not ugly but not breathtakingly beautiful..but why does that matter? I'm happy that Asians are making it to Hollywood and becoming recognized. If she acts well, that's definitely a plus.

  Reply With Quote
16-11-2005
  99
front row
 
jennifer716's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: HK/UK
Gender: femme
Posts: 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunkist
Also, as for Asian actresses acting like hot stuff once they're discovered, this is true of tons of actresses in general, not just Asian ones. Fame changes a lot of people--Asian, white, black, whatever, it messes you up. Plus acting as a profession in general draws a lot of people who are really into themselves to begin with, you can't deny that. It's pretty much a global phenomenon, not limited to race.
That is true. Maybe I just have low tolerance for people who act like hot **** when they're really unattractive. Like, if Alexis Bledel started acting like hot ****, I probably wouldn't mind because she has something to be showing off. But most asian actresses are really not that pretty, most cannot act, and once they hit Asian soil again, their egos get even bigger because not only have they starred in a hollywood film, but they're ASIAN and starred in a hollywood film.

I disagree about asians wanting to be white because it makes them seem more upper class. Most of the asians I know want to be pale because they want to look more caucasian -- just like how they want bigger eyes with the double eyelid, just like how they want a sharper nose. Places like Hong Kong and Tokyo and Seoul are not underdeveloped countries. These are very advanced cities and alot of them are educated and work in tertiary industries.

But you're right, the people on this board do tend to be worldly and educated and I'm not trying to insult them with my comments. I'm just trying to give people an understanding of the type of mindset that exists in Asia. I'm not one of those Asian girls who wants to look white or marry a caucasian man because he's rich or for a green card. Yet, I do have my own standards of beauty which just so happens to be the same as the general Asian mindset. This doesn't mean I'm going to bleach my skin though cause I would never do that. Just means I find most Asian people unattractive. Which is just a preference. Just like how some caucasian men find asian women more attractive than caucasian women, I just happen to find most asian women really unattractive -- Katie Leung one of them -- and I don't think there's anything wrong with that.

__________________

  Reply With Quote
16-11-2005
  100
front row
 
Ce'nedra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 438
I will admit that the first time i saw Katie, i thought she was very plain looking and was somehow disappointed. However, in retrospect, i'm just happy for her on achieving the role of Cho Chang and also that she may perhaps further widen the door for other Asians hoping to enter Hollywood. Anyhow, her looks shouldn't be a barrier. Even though she's not my cup of tea, i'm going to give her a chance to prove her acting capabilities.
I believe everyone should just lay off her and let her be. We haven't even seen her acting skills yet, so as of now, it's best to just support her and wait to see what the outcome shall be. Perhaps after she's been in the showbiz for a while longer and demonstrated her acting abilities can you then perhaps 'judge' her (not as a person, but as an actress/celebrity).

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifer716
That is true. Maybe I just have low tolerance for people who act like hot **** when they're really unattractive. Like, if Alexis Bledel started acting like hot ****, I probably wouldn't mind because she has something to be showing off. But most asian actresses are really not that pretty, most cannot act, and once they hit Asian soil again, their egos get even bigger because not only have they starred in a hollywood film, but they're ASIAN and starred in a hollywood film.
I agree with what you're saying, except replace 'Asian' with nothing. I'm not going to limit that to race.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifer716
I disagree about asians wanting to be white because it makes them seem more upper class. Most of the asians I know want to be pale because they want to look more caucasian -- just like how they want bigger eyes with the double eyelid, just like how they want a sharper nose. Places like Hong Kong and Tokyo and Seoul are not underdeveloped countries. These are very advanced cities and alot of them are educated and work in tertiary industries.

But you're right, the people on this board do tend to be worldly and educated and I'm not trying to insult them with my comments. I'm just trying to give people an understanding of the type of mindset that exists in Asia. I'm not one of those Asian girls who wants to look white or marry a caucasian man because he's rich or for a green card. Yet, I do have my own standards of beauty which just so happens to be the same as the general Asian mindset. This doesn't mean I'm going to bleach my skin though cause I would never do that. Just means I find most Asian people unattractive. Which is just a preference. Just like how some caucasian men find asian women more attractive than caucasian women, I just happen to find most asian women really unattractive -- Katie Leung one of them -- and I don't think there's anything wrong with that.
Alot of Asians are naturally fair. Does this have anything to do with Caucasians?


Last edited by Ce'nedra; 16-11-2005 at 09:50 PM.
  Reply With Quote
16-11-2005
  101
front row
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Gender: femme
Posts: 205
aquarius, you're right, wealth-seeking behavior is common in men as well as women!

G-squared, there are areas of this country where girls spend tons getting sharp noses to be flat! I guess everyone wants what they can't have, and it's sad. Most great beauties have characteristics that are unusual...Kate Moss' crooked teeth, Jackie O's wide face and wide set eyes, CIndy Crawford's mole, etc. etc. It's often the way that someone carries their "uniqueness" that makes someone very beautiful.


Last edited by Sunkist; 16-11-2005 at 09:46 PM.
  Reply With Quote
16-11-2005
  102
V.I.P.
 
eternitygoddess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Gender: femme
Posts: 8,032
When you're talking about Chinese girls wanting to marry Caucasians, I think it applies more to Hong Kong and Taiwan than Mainland China, because I have never seen alot of that in Shanghai.

  Reply With Quote
16-11-2005
  103
front row
 
Ce'nedra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 438
Quote:
Originally Posted by eternitygoddess
When you're talking about Chinese girls wanting to marry Caucasians, I think it applies more to Hong Kong and Taiwan than Mainland China, because I have never seen alot of that in Shanghai.
I've seen this attitude amongst any white-washed Asian girl, not any particular nationality.

  Reply With Quote
16-11-2005
  104
front row
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Toronto
Gender: femme
Posts: 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunkist
aquarius, you're right, wealth-seeking behavior is common in men as well as women!

G-squared, there are areas of this country where girls spend tons getting sharp noses to be flat! I guess everyone wants what they can't have, and it's sad. Most great beauties have characteristics that are unusual...Kate Moss' crooked teeth, Jackie O's wide face and wide set eyes, CIndy Crawford's mole, etc. etc. It's often the way that someone carries their "uniqueness" that makes someone very beautiful.
I agree with you about people wanting what they don't have. It really depends on how the person themself perceives beauty. I was generalizing the Asian population.. and the non-Asian population about the general perception of beauty. i could be totally wrong:p

  Reply With Quote
16-11-2005
  105
Amour Comme Hiver
 
KhaoticKharma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Gender: femme
Posts: 5,397
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifer716
That is true. Maybe I just have low tolerance for people who act like hot **** when they're really unattractive. Like, if Alexis Bledel started acting like hot ****, I probably wouldn't mind because she has something to be showing off. But most asian actresses are really not that pretty, most cannot act, and once they hit Asian soil again, their egos get even bigger because not only have they starred in a hollywood film, but they're ASIAN and starred in a hollywood film.

I disagree about asians wanting to be white because it makes them seem more upper class. Most of the asians I know want to be pale because they want to look more caucasian -- just like how they want bigger eyes with the double eyelid, just like how they want a sharper nose. Places like Hong Kong and Tokyo and Seoul are not underdeveloped countries. These are very advanced cities and alot of them are educated and work in tertiary industries.

But you're right, the people on this board do tend to be worldly and educated and I'm not trying to insult them with my comments. I'm just trying to give people an understanding of the type of mindset that exists in Asia. I'm not one of those Asian girls who wants to look white or marry a caucasian man because he's rich or for a green card. Yet, I do have my own standards of beauty which just so happens to be the same as the general Asian mindset. This doesn't mean I'm going to bleach my skin though cause I would never do that. Just means I find most Asian people unattractive. Which is just a preference. Just like how some caucasian men find asian women more attractive than caucasian women, I just happen to find most asian women really unattractive -- Katie Leung one of them -- and I don't think there's anything wrong with that.
To a certain extent, you are very right. Everyone can have their own opnions on beauty. Just don't restrict it to race. I am a 'tri-racial' girl, and I just so happen to find pale, red-haired, boys drop dead gorgeous. But that doesn't mean that I would never date a black guy or a Native American guy, or even a dark haired white guy. It just means that it is not exactly what I am looking for, but who knows? Love and Beauty know no color.

Katie Leung is, to me, one of the most adorable girls on the planet, right now. So she is not your cup of tea? Just don't write off your whole race about it. Katie is only eighteen, has done only one movie, and still has a long way to go before we can write her off as one thing or another. Who knows what her future holds?

__________________
"I say, let's have happy clothes. You could reply that's frivolous in this troubled world, but do you really think dressing like an existential nun with suicidal thoughts is going to solve Bosnia?"

  Reply With Quote
Reply
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
katie, leung
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"


 
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:23 AM.
Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
TheFashionSpot.com is a property of TotallyHer Media, LLC, an Evolve Media LLC company. 2014 All rights reserved.