How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Star Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

09-12-2012
V.I.P.

Saw Anna Karenina. The film disappointed me, I was expecting much better from Joe Wright, but Keira is simply amazing! She blowed me again and I think this performance tops Pride and Prejudice. Hope she gets a least a GG nomination, unfortunately Oscar will be long shot

09-12-2012
V.I.P.

I'm very excited to see it. I hope I get to before it's on dvd.

18-12-2012
front row

if somebody's interested, Lisa Eldridge did her make-up for the Anna Karenina World Premiere

Last edited by HeatherAnne; 18-12-2012 at 02:12 PM. Reason: Fixed/embedded video.

28-12-2012
rising star

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvstratus View Post
Saw Anna Karenina. The film disappointed me, I was expecting much better from Joe Wright, but Keira is simply amazing! She blowed me again and I think this performance tops Pride and Prejudice. Hope she gets a least a GG nomination, unfortunately Oscar will be long shot

Funny actually, I just came back from the theatre and I came out with a harsher judgement of Keira's performance than for Joe. Although the story itself got a bit overpowered by the blasts of (beautiful!) cinematography, I thought Keira's acting was rather poorly to be honest.

28-12-2012
tfs star

^^Agreed. I've always found her supremely overrated as an actress. At best she's passable--Seeking A Friend For the End of the World; Never Let Me Go; Last night--and at worst she's downright unbearable--the POTC movies, Pride & Prejudice; A Dangerous Method. She's as bad with her jaw as Emma Watson is with her eyebrows. But my main problem with Keira is that she seems to be lacking in an area I treasure the most in actors: the ability to reign it in. Whenever there is an opportunity to go over the top, she takes it. That said, for all the gasping and eye bulging and mouth quivering in Anna Karenina, I'd say she was largely passable. This is probably one of her best performances since Last Night, but I would never call her Oscar worthy.

28-12-2012
V.I.P.

I agree with most of your post chickadee, especially about reining it in and knowing when/how to do so. However, I found her performance in Pride and Prejudice to be one of her best, if not her very best.

Fashion: Don’t you recognize me? Death: You should know that I don’t see very well and I can’t wear glasses. Fashion: I’m Fashion, your sister. Death: My sister? Fashion: Yes. You and I together keep undoing and changing things down here on earth although you go about it in one way and I another. Giacomo Leopardi, “Dialogue Between Fashion and Death.”abridged

28-12-2012
tfs star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not Plain Jane View Post
I agree with most of your post chickadee, especially about reining it in and knowing when/how to do so. However, I found her performance in Pride and Prejudice to be one of her best, if not her very best.
You know what? Weirdly enough I like Joe's Pride & Prejudice. A lot, actually. It easily outranks "Atonement" for me. Dario Marianelli's score, Matthew MacFayden's Darcy, the cinematography...all beautiful. And it's not one of her worst performances in my opinion. It's just sometimes she takes me out of the film, like the proposal in the rain where her jaw is quivering and she's talking 90 mph without taking a breath. Then there's the scene at Pemberly where she stands up in the carriage and just giggles. But yeah, it's mostly little things about her performance that get under my skin. Otherwise, I can and do watch the film often with only a little contempt for her Elizabeth.

(On a side note, how about that Carey Mulligan? Who knew about that kid?! I look back at the film in absolute awe of what a powerhouse she turned out to be.)

Last edited by chickadee; 28-12-2012 at 08:23 PM.

28-12-2012
V.I.P.

All this talk makes me want to see Anna Karenina asap.. hopefully tomorrow.

As for her performances, I loved Pride and Prejudice but never got the fuss about Keira's performance, she certainly has a problem holding her 'notes' so to speak (aka. sort of breaks off the mood in critical scenes), and I thought her acting in Atonement was unremarkable in that same aspect. My earliest memory of Keira and what remains my favorite performance is Lara in Dr. Zhivago, I thought she was fantastic, never too aware (unaware I'd say) of her looks/angles, serene and still powerful, she carried every scene perfectly, probably because, unlike other period films, Dr. Zhivago's pretty rustic, there's hardly any of that aristocrat pomposity of Joe's films (which I do love!). Last Night's probably my second favorite.

28-12-2012
V.I.P.

Quote:
...like the proposal in the rain where her jaw is quivering and she's talking 90 mph without taking a breath.
I can totally see it, lol. Now I'll never watch that scene in the same way. Thanks!

Fashion: Don’t you recognize me? Death: You should know that I don’t see very well and I can’t wear glasses. Fashion: I’m Fashion, your sister. Death: My sister? Fashion: Yes. You and I together keep undoing and changing things down here on earth although you go about it in one way and I another. Giacomo Leopardi, “Dialogue Between Fashion and Death.”abridged

28-12-2012
tfs star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not Plain Jane View Post
I can totally see it, lol. Now I'll never watch that scene in the same way. Thanks!
I'm sorry! LOL Just do what I do and focus on MacFayden. He simmers in that scene. It's like, Hello, Mr. Darcy.

29-12-2012
rising star

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickadee View Post
You know what? Weirdly enough I like Joe's Pride & Prejudice. A lot, actually. It easily outranks "Atonement" for me. Dario Marianelli's score, Matthew MacFayden's Darcy, the cinematography...all beautiful. And it's not one of her worst performances in my opinion. It's just sometimes she takes me out of the film, like the proposal in the rain where her jaw is quivering and she's talking 90 mph without taking a breath. Then there's the scene at Pemberly where she stands up in the carriage and just giggles. But yeah, it's mostly little things about her performance that get under my skin. Otherwise, I can and do watch the film often with only a little contempt for her Elizabeth.
I enjoyed her acting in Pride & Prejudice more because her performance was the most credible then. But then later in her next movies, it seemed to me as if her range of acting capabilities are in fact quite limited. I know that's quite a harsh judgement but I never saw a lot of evolution in her acting skills. Apart from the transformation from Bend It Like Beckham to bigger roles, I actually see her as an actress who plays pouty/moaning/quivering/ women well but then revels herself in it. In contrast to Carey Mulligan for example who has played far more diverse characters.

Luckily her style is far more interesting albeit disappointing at times as well. :p

Last edited by commejeveux; 29-12-2012 at 03:47 AM.

29-12-2012
tfs star

^^I used to adore her candid style so much. I still do, but she doesn't wow me as often as she used to.

But to keep this from being a hating-Keira session, I will say that I have always alternately envied and been inspired by the way she carries herself. Even at the tender age of 19, she was able to pull off that mid-driff bearing premiere outfit at the first POTC with the poise and strength of a woman twice her age. She strikes me as a person with a solid sense of self (even though for a minute there she was really laying it on thick with the I'm-a-crass-crude-young-woman-just-like-any-other bit in a lot of her interviews). Despite the pouty face she puts on (which I detest), more often than not she pulls off whatever she's wearing on the red carpet because she's incredibly comfortable in herself and it shows. That's refreshing in a time when red carpets are dominated by either the try-too-hards and the dull factory-made "it girls." She's not fake. Her sense of self is not a put on. Even in her less attractive outfits she still manages to look amazing because of that confidence and innate dignity. That's truly commendable, IMO, especially in a day and age when low self-esteem is on the rise, and practically everything in Western society is designed to break a young girl's spirit and outlook on herself. That's why I keep coming here: her lovely style and enviable poise.

Last edited by chickadee; 29-12-2012 at 12:43 PM.

29-12-2012
V.I.P.

Quote:
She's not fake. Her sense of self is not a put on. Even in her less attractive outfits she still manages to look amazing because of that confidence and innate dignity.
Again I agree: i love her style both on and off the red carpet. And she's so beautiful!!

29-12-2012
V.I.P.

In defense of her acting I've noticed when I follow actors/actresses & watch all their movies you start to notice patterns in all of them. Most of them repeat the way they do pain, sorrow, happy, etc. I've yet to see an actor that doesn't have patterns, even the great Gary Oldman. She's just gotten more attention for hers and admittedly hers are pretty obvious i.e. the pout and jaw jutting, but she's not the only one. Not saying she's in the same league as Gary either, but I've always enjoyed her performances except for A Dangerous Method although some of that was editing. They clearly jumped back and forth between takes and not very well.

What's been said about her style I very much agree with. Even when she wears something fugly she wears it like it was made of gold.

29-12-2012
front row

I agree with you Captain_Lydia, but what makes me think Keira Knightley is not a GREAT actress is not the fact that she acts the same in all her films, but the fact that most of the time, her acting take me out of the films (as chickadee mentioned). It's like watching someone who knows they're pretending to be someone else... if that makes any sense. That said, I do enjoy seeing her on screen, she's not a great actress but she does has that je ne sais quoi.

Plus, I think she's quite an inspiration, I'm always interested in watching/reading her interviews. She always has something interesting to say about the films she's in, the books she's read, etc.

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2012, 2014, january, june, keira, knightley