How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Star Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

29-12-2012
rising star

Quote:
Originally Posted by GinAndTonic View Post
Plus, I think she's quite an inspiration, I'm always interested in watching/reading her interviews. She always has something interesting to say about the films she's in, the books she's read, etc.
So true. She sounds very grounded, intelligent and humble in her interviews.

Last edited by commejeveux; 29-12-2012 at 04:13 PM.

29-12-2012
V.I.P.

What a lovely, nuanced and nice discussion about Keira's acting, style and persona. I am enjoying reading all the varied and thoughtful opinions.

Fashion: Don’t you recognize me? Death: You should know that I don’t see very well and I can’t wear glasses. Fashion: I’m Fashion, your sister. Death: My sister? Fashion: Yes. You and I together keep undoing and changing things down here on earth although you go about it in one way and I another. Giacomo Leopardi, “Dialogue Between Fashion and Death.”abridged

29-12-2012
fashion icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickadee View Post
She's not fake. Her sense of self is not a put on. Even in her less attractive outfits she still manages to look amazing because of that confidence and innate dignity. That's truly commendable, IMO, especially in a day and age when low self-esteem is on the rise, and practically everything in Western society is designed to break a young girl's spirit and outlook on herself. That's why I keep coming here: her lovely style and enviable poise.
I haven't had a chance yet to comment on Keira's acting but I've loved reading everyone else's thoughts about it. Personally, my three favorite roles and movies of Keira's are Pride and Prejudice, Bend It Like Beckham, and Atonement. All three were beautifully made with fantastic story-lines which can certainly help an actress give her best.

I think Bend It Like Beckham is interesting because I'd argue it's when we saw Keira at her most "boyish" and in her least "feminine" character (but arguably a feminist character). Obviously at the start of her career she had less of a choice of what sort of character she wanted to play, so this may factor in as well, yet I think she handled the role very well. But I may be a tad biased because Bend It Like Beckham is one of my all time favorites.

As for P&P and Atonement, I've read both books and seen both films. The adaptations are fantastic and Joe Wright did a great job. I like Keira in both roles perhaps because I can relate to her characters but also because it feels to me like they are some of her best performances. Taking on a such a role as beloved literary character like Elizabeth Bennet can be hard because everyone has ideas of who the character is but she was able to make the character her own.

I will say, I do think she has her faults, the jaw issue as others have brought up, but I do like watching her in films because she sort of has a sense of grace that comes through. And maybe this is because I'm very aware of what kind of interviews Keira gives and how she portrays herself, but I really do feel like she tries to bring some sort of presence to each role. I so agree with you Chickadee, Keira's sense of self is just so admirable, I have a lot of respect for her on that level. Keira's sense of character comes across as genuine. Whether or not she's a fantastic actress can be debated but I find it hard to find fault with her as a person. Which is why I like reading this thread, watching/reading her interviews and seeing what she will wear, it's nice to see someone in Hollywood come across the way she does, with a sense of integrity and honesty.

29-12-2012
V.I.P.

I've said this before on this thread (I'm sure I have), but Pure is easily her best performance. It's a performance without vanity and I really wish she would pick a role like this again. Perhaps a role in an Andrea Arnold film? A kind of director that isn't really interested in making a pretty film (though Wuthering Heights had some gorgeous shots). I really liked her in Doctor Zhivago and Pride & Prejudice. Bend It Like Beckham I was also thought she was very good and I was pleasantly surprised with her performance in Seeking a Friend for the End of the World. It's been nearly a whole year since I saw A Dangerous Method and I still don't know what to think of that performance and there have definitely been occasions when her acting has been 'off'. I think her biggest problem is that she is too self-aware at times. Her acting style is interesting and definitely sparks some interesting conversations. She is definitely very polarising as an actress.

I've still yet to see Anna Karenina. I finally finished the book months back and I'm just scared to see what they did to it.

Regarding her casual style, I agree with you chickadee. It's not as good as it was.

Last edited by LolaSvelt; 29-12-2012 at 06:35 PM.

29-12-2012
V.I.P.

I'd also like to add that I kinda miss her doing action films and physically kicking butt. I loved King Arthur and Bend It (though that wasn't battle it's still in the realm of physically doing something) and I liked POTC, the writing was lacking, but it's still nice to see a woman in a warrior role. There are so few female action heros. I understand the need to expand and do quality drama pieces as well, but I do miss it.

29-12-2012
tfs star

LolaSvelt, without giving too much away I'd say the biggest hurdle to overcome is how theatrical the film is. Literally. Joe changes scenes with the opening and closing of curtains, actors walk backstage to enter different scenes, and even the horse race with Vronksy takes place in a kind of auditorium. I think if you can handle that, then you should be good. Like I said, I personally wasn't a fan of Keira's performance, and although Aaron Johnson is good, they're both upstaged by almost all of the supporting cast: Domhnall Gleeson, Alicia Vikander, Jude Law, Ruth Wilson and Matthew MacFayden (who, as it turns out, has flawless comedic timing! He was easily the audience favorite). But all that to say, I'd recommend it if for nothing else but the spectacle of it all. Also, the costumes are FANTASTIC. OMG, I can't even...everything Keira wore I wanted. I don't know where I'd wear it, but still...

Captain_Lydia, I hadn't thought about that but you've got a point. I haven't watched King Arthur in a long time, but I do remember thinking her fight scenes and the bow and arrow were really bad-***.

Last edited by chickadee; 29-12-2012 at 09:22 PM.

30-12-2012
backstage pass

Thanks all for the interesting comments about her style, her acting, and her presence. I confess that I'm indifferent to her acting but I'm charmed by her charisma. I follow her mostly because she has a strong aura imo.

30-12-2012
rising star

Quote:
But all that to say, I'd recommend it if for nothing else but the spectacle of it all. Also, the costumes are FANTASTIC. OMG, I can't even...everything Keira wore I wanted. I don't know where I'd wear it, but still...
Yes, I've said it before but the cinematography was so so beautiful! Each scene was like a piece of art. And don't forget the great music!
There was a red dress (not the gown she wears at the ball) Keira wore that was really beautiful as well. Too bad I can't find any pictures of it.
Oh, and that white blanket/large scarf with flowers on it when she laid in her bed was gorgeous too.

source: hoopbikemer.com

Last edited by larien; 02-01-2013 at 05:49 AM. Reason: Improper Credit

30-12-2012
V.I.P.

Quote:
Also, the costumes are FANTASTIC. OMG, I can't even...everything Keira wore I wanted. I don't know where I'd wear it, but still...
I agree so much. I feel that there should just be a day, once a week, where everyone can wear all those over the top costumes. Instead of casual Fridays there can be Marie Antoinette Saturday or something. I think it would be so fun. It's never going to happen, but if I were dictator it would.

30-12-2012
fashion icon

Wow that sounds perfect Captain_Lydia

Yes the costume design was heavenly as was the film I loved it and Keira's performance

30-12-2012
you set the scene

Quote:
Originally Posted by LolaSvelt View Post
It's been nearly a whole year since I saw A Dangerous Method and I still don't know what to think of that performance and there have definitely been occasions when her acting has been 'off'. I think her biggest problem is that she is too self-aware at times. Her acting style is interesting and definitely sparks some interesting conversations. She is definitely very polarising as an actress.
All this talk is interesting to me, I never thought of her as a bad actress. :p I actually thought she was quite good in A Dangerous Method, because her character did evolve, and I think we are too used to seeing mental illness portrayed within certain bounds. The quote-unquote 'freakish' aspects usually get downplayed somewhat or we see mental illness represented in token ways ('this character has raggedy hair! she's the crazy one!'), whereas Keira was unconstrained and showed what I found to be more realistic behavior. I just keep thinking of different things about her in that movie, how drained she seemed in the beginning, how placid and sad and hopeful she was all at once towards the end... If there's anyone whose acting annoyed me in that, it was Fassbender. I wanted to smack his dumb face during the final scene.

I will say that she gives an impression of being too composed at times, too prepared, which can work well with the big costume dramas, but I'd like to see her somewhat looser and more free. Regardless, I think she has such an unusual aura and warmth as an actress that I simply like seeing her onscreen, whether she's flawless as an actress or not.

30-12-2012
tfs star

Captain_Lydia, super karrma! I would so support your revolution.

I have to disagree completely, but respectfully with you, cestmagique. I thought Fassbender and Viggo Mortensen saved that film. Cronenberg seems to have lost some of his touch, IMO, because that movie was all over the place. But I have to admit that I'm not the most unbiased party when it comes to Fassy, so there's that. And even though his performance was to me inspired, it definitely ranks among his "weakest." Certainly it's miles behind his performances in Hunger, Shame, Fish Tank and Prometheus.

I'd just like to reiterate pretty much every other poster so far in saying that I love this discussion so much, most especially hearing everybody's thoughtful, eloquent responses. If there's anything I love more than fashion it's film. Well, storytelling in general. I'm literally rereading everybody's posts right now. Don't judge me.

30-12-2012
you set the scene

^We're not so far off in opinion. I thought Viggo was great. Fassbender for some reason just doesn't cut it for me in general; his eyes seem so blank and his vibe is so weird IMO, like a serial killer. I did like him in Fish Tank; that was a fantastic movie. I agree with you about Cronenberg, too, because the film did seem too scatterbrained, but even moreso I thought one of the things that didn't work in that movie was the writing... Sometimes it was just far too obvious (like when Keira's character is in therapy and blurts out that she liked being spanked as a child or something, can't remember exactly, but that moment was eye roll inducing for me).

30-12-2012
tfs star

Quote:
Originally Posted by cestmagique View Post
^We're not so far off in opinion. I thought Viggo was great. Fassbender for some reason just doesn't cut it for me in general; his eyes seem so blank and his vibe is so weird IMO, like a serial killer. I did like him in Fish Tank; that was a fantastic movie. I agree with you about Cronenberg, too, because the film did seem too scatterbrained, but even moreso I thought one of the things that didn't work in that movie was the writing... Sometimes it was just far too obvious (like when Keira's character is in therapy and blurts out that she liked being spanked as a child or something, can't remember exactly, but that moment was eye roll inducing for me).
I can totally see that. He gives consistently intense performances, but that's at least 45 percent of why I like his acting. Also, he's a refreshing breath of masculinity in an industry teeming over with pretty boys. By the way, "scatterbrained" is a perfect description of A Dangerous Method, and if reviews are anything to go by, Cosmopolis as well. The scene you mentioned stood out awkwardly for me as well, in terms of clunky writing, along with the "break-up" scene between Jung and Sabina. Seriously, the whole thing is just cringe-worthy from nearly start to finish. But along with Viggo and Fassy, I liked Sarah Gadon and Vincent Cassel's performances as well. They weren't spectacular or anything, but they did the best with what they were given, commendably.

On the upside, we did get some pretty classic, arguably iconic Keira looks during the press tour for the film and I'm glad for that. It was the amazing looks she pulled out for Venice and TIFF respectively that brought about a resurgence of interest in her for me.

Last edited by chickadee; 30-12-2012 at 04:06 PM.

30-12-2012
fashion insider

I'm probably in the minority here but I thought she was really good in A Dangerous Method. By some weird coincidence I had to read Freud at the same time as the film came out here and what really stuck in my mind whilst reading it was his description of tics. I know her jaw jutting was incredibly out there and disconcerting but I found that it spot on for what Freud wrote. I don't know, maybe I was a bit too into the world of Freud when I watched it. :laugh: I haven't yet watched Anna K or P&P (I started watching it but Keira's accent was very one note and therefore I stopped watching it) or even Atonement.

I don't think she's a great actress but I appreciate that she recognises that and tries something different. I can't wait for Jack Ryan because I think Kenneth Branagh could pull a good performance out of her.

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2012, 2014, january, june, keira, knightley