How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Star Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

30-12-2012
fashion insider

Quote:
All this talk is interesting to me, I never thought of her as a bad actress.
I know! All this debate about her acting skills is making be sad. She's my Elizabeth Bennett, I read the book after the movie and I kept picturing Keira all through it. I believe she's one of the most talented women of this generation in Hollywood. A timeless beauty plus a fantastic personality to boot! I love her

30-12-2012
V.I.P.

It is pleasent to have a civil discussion with differing opinions, especially in an online forum. I'm just not happy with A Dangerous Method in general. I was so excited for it because I studied psychology but I have to admit I didn't get the filmgasm I was hoping for. I thought with the cast (despite what I might of said about her "patterns" I love watching her on screen and I think she is talented), the director and the subject matter it was bound to be a favorite and then it just deflated.

My biggest grief is the editing in the therapy scene where she's jutting and tweaking and then admits "it excited me!" It's clearly a patch work of at least two different takes which could work except it seems she was going for two very different performances in each take and when they mish mash them she looks like she's riding an even bigger emotional rollarcoaster than is believable. It doesn't mesh and I don't know why they did that. The rest of it was simply "ok" imo, but that part just irritated the crap outta me. And I will give her credit for not being afraid of being "ugly" on screen.

p.s. And thanks for all the karma

Last edited by Captain_Lydia; 30-12-2012 at 10:37 PM.

31-12-2012
rising star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximilian S View Post
I know! All this debate about her acting skills is making be sad. She's my Elizabeth Bennett, I read the book after the movie and I kept picturing Keira all through it. I believe she's one of the most talented women of this generation in Hollywood. A timeless beauty plus a fantastic personality to boot! I love her
Well, imho, I wouldn't consider her a bad actress. There are far worse actresses out there. The thing what bothers me about her acting though is that I feel like she doesn't add a lot of variety to her roles. I tend to think of her as the moaning/jaw quivering/pouty actress because that's all she seems to do in a movie imo.
I think she has figured out what she's good in and then sort of sticks with it. She's not taking a lot of risks with her roles (or at least not in the way she plays them) and I'd love to see her play more diverse characters because I'm sure she'd be able to pull it off.
TL,DR: I need her to 'wow' me again.

Last edited by commejeveux; 31-12-2012 at 05:09 AM.

31-12-2012
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximilian S View Post

Wise words, I couldn't agree more.

31-12-2012
you set the scene

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickadee View Post
I can totally see that. He gives consistently intense performances, but that's at least 45 percent of why I like his acting. Also, he's a refreshing breath of masculinity in an industry teeming over with pretty boys. By the way, "scatterbrained" is a perfect description of A Dangerous Method, and if reviews are anything to go by, Cosmopolis as well.
He is very intense, but you're right, it's a nice break from the usual pouty man-boys of Hollywood. Cronenberg seems to be making 'cheaper' choices in his recent movies... I heard Cosmopolis was not that bad but after watching a few clips, it looks pretty cringeworthy! As for ADM, it's funny that I had a favorable impression of it before this discussion, because thinking back on it now I remember there's a lot that annoyed me. Like Vincent Cassel's character, he was basically reduced to being like the cool kid on the playground, the envy of the other boys. I think some of the movie was interesting, but overall-- especially in light of what Captain_Lydia pointed out-- it was just not put together well in any way.

02-01-2013
V.I.P.

I saw Anna Karenina and she was very good in it, probably her best performance to date, IMO.
It was an amazing movie overall, you guys should all see it!

02-01-2013
rising star

Quote:
Originally Posted by cestmagique View Post
All this talk is interesting to me, I never thought of her as a bad actress. :p I actually thought she was quite good in A Dangerous Method, because her character did evolve, and I think we are too used to seeing mental illness portrayed within certain bounds. The quote-unquote 'freakish' aspects usually get downplayed somewhat or we see mental illness represented in token ways ('this character has raggedy hair! she's the crazy one!'), whereas Keira was unconstrained and showed what I found to be more realistic behavior. I just keep thinking of different things about her in that movie, how drained she seemed in the beginning, how placid and sad and hopeful she was all at once towards the end... If there's anyone whose acting annoyed me in that, it was Fassbender. I wanted to smack his dumb face during the final scene.

I will say that she gives an impression of being too composed at times, too prepared, which can work well with the big costume dramas, but I'd like to see her somewhat looser and more free. Regardless, I think she has such an unusual aura and warmth as an actress that I simply like seeing her onscreen, whether she's flawless as an actress or not.
I wholeheartedly agree with you about her performance in A Dangerous Method. I remember Keira saying that she and Cronenberg had seen videos of women suffering from that same condition that were even harder to watch, that even her performance is a "downplayed" version of what actually goes on sometimes. I thought it was really "brave". It's a shame that so many people saw that has unconvincing or over-the-top. It wasn't supposed to be comfortable to watch...

02-01-2013
front row

I didn't like ADM as much as I thought I would -- I feel like Viggo was the only redeeming quality for me even if I did enjoy Keira's performance. I have to echo the person who said Fassbender looks like a serial killer throughout. But I think the thing that really bothered me was that scene where Sabina and Jung are talking and she's in her underdress/corset and her nipple is about to pop out over the top of it. I felt like it was completely unnecessary, especially since Jung had been spanking her in the last scene. I feel as if they were deliberately trying to be titillating in a non-sexual scene when it wasn't necessary and they could have just added a little more to the scenes that were meant to be sexualised.

05-01-2013
V.I.P.

Watched "Anna Karenina" yesterday. Disappointed with the film as well as Keira's acting, I was even a bit shocked with the way she (or Wright, maybe?) portrayed Anna.

05-01-2013
V.I.P.

Saw Anna Karenina yesterday night and I have really loved it. The scenography was original, intense acting and magnifiscent costumes. Keira was absolutely beautiful in it, and her acting wasn't as full of mannierisms as I fear. For me, the best actor in it was Jude Law.
Posted via Mobile Device

08-01-2013
rising star

Anna Karenina was amazing. Loved every second of it. The scenery is incredible, the costumes impeccable... just gorgeousness all over. (My only problem's with Aaron Johnson... can't see him as Vronsky and his chemistry with Keira was barely okay).

09-01-2013
front row

Keira is in Vogue Australia's February 2013 Issue. Small spread. I don't have access to a scanner, but here is a low res image from the website.

source: vogue.com.au/vogue+magazine/vogue+australia/

09-01-2013
windowshopping

OMG, this woman is purely gorgeous!

09-01-2013
V.I.P.

Wow - beautiful photo.

Fashion: Don’t you recognize me? Death: You should know that I don’t see very well and I can’t wear glasses. Fashion: I’m Fashion, your sister. Death: My sister? Fashion: Yes. You and I together keep undoing and changing things down here on earth although you go about it in one way and I another. Giacomo Leopardi, “Dialogue Between Fashion and Death.”abridged

09-01-2013
fashion icon

Ooohh.... that's a gorgeous photograph of Keira. And I'm seriously envious of her hairstyle, it looks so good on her.

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2012, 2014, january, june, keira, knightley