How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Star Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

18-12-2012
V.I.P.

Kerry Washington & Cast of "Django Unchained" visits BET's '106 & Park' at 106 & Park Studio in New York - Dec. 14,2012 - tlfan.to

18-12-2012
V.I.P.

tlfan.to

20-12-2012
fashion elite

i'm really glad she (and her style) is getting more attention recently. she's always had great style but always remained a bit under the radar for whatever reason. i'm looking forward to what her and her stylist pull out for award season.

20-12-2012
V.I.P.

Why doesnt she get more high profile covers? She is smart, beautiful, and does hit after hit on the red carpet

20-12-2012
tfs star

I hate to pull the race card, but contrary to popular belief race is still a huge factor in our society and for black people primarily functions as an obstacle. We have a black president, but that is an anomaly. Blacks still struggle more than their white counterparts of various ethnicities. Hollywood in particular makes it especially difficult for black and Asian actresses to emerge the way white actresses can. That's why you see Emma Stone, Rooney Mara, and Blake Lively on the covers of Vanity Fair and Vogue long before they've proved their "worth" in the business; meanwhile you've got equally and/or far more talented women like Kerry, Thandie Newton, Joy Bryant, Taraji P. Henson, Yaya Dacosta, even Zoe Saldana has yet to land a Vogue or Vanity Fair cover and she's starred in two extremely popular franchises to Emma and Rooney Mara's one each. Now, people like Anna W. will say that they are only reflecting the climate in Hollywood and they're only giving "the people" what they want. But as boring as both VF and Vogue have become lately with their choices and their content, honestly, they could use some spicing up. They're not interesting anymore, IMO, and it's largely due to the fact that if they aren't blatantly rejecting diversity they're afraid of it.

Sorry for the rant, but I'm pretty sure the reason Kerry hasn't gotten more high profile covers despite being an obvious style "icon" as much as any other Hollywood It Girl, is because diversity is not high on the light of priorities in this particular industry.

Last edited by chickadee; 20-12-2012 at 07:39 PM.
22-12-2012
Aby
V.I.P.

^can't give you some well deserved karma but you said it all...

scenester

^ agreed. You hit the nail right on the head. Even that ELLE spread she has for this months issue....that should have been HER cover! she has such great style and is very elegant in the way she presents herself along with a lot of other black actresses...but yet they rarely seem to be important enough unless its Beyonce, Rihanna, Michelle O or Oprah...but i digress lol

And as another mentioned on here, I'm reeeeeeally looking forward to seeing what she's wearing this awards season!

26-12-2012
backstage pass

Wow, chickadee. I agree with everything you said.

tfs star

Thanks, guys!

I saw Django Unchained the other day, and wow! It was pretty awesome. Structurally, it's kind of a mess, and the last 20-25 minutes could've easily been cut or shortened, but it's unbridled Tarantino; and if you're even the smallest fan of his you will love it. That said, a caveat: this is not Kerry's film. She's great in it, and commendably does a fantastic, even at times heartfelt job with what she's given, but she's heinously underused here. I don't know what happened because one of the reasons I love Tarantino is that he always, like ALWAYS writes strong, bad *** women. And often--though they sometimes do--they can be and are badass without showing their cleavage/boobs. Kerry's character, however, is a huge letdown just in the grand scheme of both Tarantino's work and hers. But I hugely recommend it if you love spaghetti westerns, Tarantino, Jamie Foxx, Christoph Waltz, Leo Dicaprio (Waltz and Dicaprio in particular are standouts) and/or all of the above.

Last edited by chickadee; 29-12-2012 at 01:23 PM.
04-01-2013
V.I.P.

i've been on the slow train but i agree with you too

'Django Unchained' Rome Photocall

getty

04-01-2013
V.I.P.

getty

04-01-2013
V.I.P.

getty

04-01-2013
tfs star

Kerry, why you so bomb, girl? Love, love, love, love this look so much. The dress alone is not necessarily my favorite, but she works it somehow.

justjared

04-01-2013
fashion elite

She's a stunning human being

04-01-2013
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lady B View Post
She's a stunning human being
she truly is, it's taking my eyes of the dress it's Peter Pilotto’s Spring 2013

fashionbombdaily.com

Last edited by ForChicSake; 04-01-2013 at 10:16 AM.
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
kerry, washington